PDA

View Full Version : Neck Tension: any advice how to rid of it?

JulieL
09-09-2004, 12:25 PM
For the last three days I have had major tension in my neck. I have no clue why I have the same bed and pillows nothing has changed there. I can't figure it out. I think today I'm gonna break down and buy one of those pillows you can warm up and wrap around any body part. Anyone else have any advice?

Katia
09-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Yes! I had major problems with tension headaches a few years ago, particularly in my neck. My awesome doctor recommended the Bed Buddy hot/cold pack (yeah, funny name...see link below) and gave me the name of massage therapist. Honestly, I never even needed the massage because the Bed Buddy totally did the trick. I just put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, drape it over my neck and shoulders, and enjoy.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?CATID=100111&id=prod16156

Another doctor once recommended Excedrin Migraine, but it didn't work for me and it actually made me feel kind of weird. Just thought I'd mention it, though, in case it might help you.

HTH -- I know it's a drag!

alkagift
09-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Julie,
I always look to my pillow as the culprit. Often it's old and "broken" and it's just not as supportive as it used to be. Sometimes just trying a different one is better!

I think warm heat feels really good...maybe one of those buckwheat pillows that you can microwave and a little advil would help!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

mudder17
09-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Just wanted to add that alternating hot and cold can sometimes help. The heat helps with better circulation, but if they're any knots or muscles that are just "clenched", cold will break the cycle. And yes, when it starts coming more often, I get a new pillow, especially if it's been a while since I got a new one.

Hope you feel better soon!

(These days, I also mention it to my chiropractor and he works it out.)

ETA: Excedrin has always made me feel "weird" and just sort of "off". I finally figured out it was the aspirin in it. So I now stay away from all asprin-containing drugs. I think my doc calls it an aspirin sensitivity, rather than an actual allergy.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

Katia
09-09-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm glad you mentioned that about Excedrin and aspirin, that would not have occurred to me! I'll have to remember that.

JulieL
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks I think I'll try the hot cold method first. I guess next I should buy a new pillow too! You never realize how nice it is to feel "all well" until your body starts to break down!:-)

JLiebCamm
09-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I used to wake up with terrible tension in my neck and shoulders with frequent back of the head headaches. I tried 4 different specialty pillows, a chiropractor, muscle relaxants, and nothing helped. Finally, my dentist helped me to figure out that I was clenching my jaw at night and made me a mouthguard to wear. Unbelievably, my problems decreased by at least 95%! Ask your dentist if this could be the case. The mouthguard wasn't cheap but it was worth every penny!

barbarhow
09-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Heat, massage and antiinflammatories-ibuprofen is generally better than aspirin for muscle spasms. I would also try a chiropractor. Hope you feel better soon.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03
expecting #2 around 5/9/05

drsweetie
09-10-2004, 12:53 PM
No advice, but sympathy galore -- Sunday morning I woke up with neck pain and muscle spasms so bad that I could barely move my arms, head, or torso. After several hours of trying unsuccessfully to shake it off, DH finally took me to the ER, where I was given a LOVELY shot and several pills and diagnosed with either a pinched nerve or torticollis (wryneck). Yippee. Moist heat, muscle relaxants, and yoga have helped me return mostly to normal, but like you, I'm mystified as to what exactly caused this to happen...

Ellen