PDA

View Full Version : Local news reports POSSIBLE link between nighlights and childhood leukemia

JMS
09-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Saw this on the news last night and thought it was interesting.. makes me re-think using a nightlight in DD's room:

http://www.nbc10.com/health/3715896/detail.html

ETA: "Possible" in subject line

Marisa6826
09-09-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I think that's absolutely crazy.

Of all the things to worry about, a nightlight in the nursery should be the least of my concerns. How can a 5w bulb possibly affect a child's metabolism and ability to produce melatonin?

What they neglect to mention is that the study was who the "researchers" are. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was done by a lead pharmaceutical company for chemotherapy treatments.

-m

ETA- I'm sorry if I sound rabid, but after just spending a half an hour of my life reading about the atrocities happening to Samuel and Allie, this sort of stuff makes me sick.

JMS
09-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Marisa.
I actually agree.. when I watching it on the news last night, I kept thinking that the reporting was leaving out many key details and going right for the sucker punch. I also couldn't helping thinking that I had a nightlight throughout my childhood, as I believe to be common for others my age (I'm 30 by the way, but I think they've been around for many more decades than me) without harmful affect.
But I just wanted to post it to see if anyone had something to add.

Marisa6826
09-09-2004, 08:09 PM
I'll be 34 in a few weeks and also always had nightlights.

In fact, we have them all over the house here since there aren't any nearby streetlights and I'd kill myself coming down the stairs (or falling off the toilet :P) at night without one.

Jonathan has a vehement hatred for local news because of this type of thing. I get to hear about it EVERY single night when I watch the weather.

I did a Google search and there was a study done regarding magnetic fields from electrical appliances and ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) - what Samuel has - and they said there was no correlation. BTW, the study was from 1997. http://www.stopgettingsick.com/Conditions/condition_template.cfm/2243/75/1

This stuff just annoys the crap out of me, as you KNOW parents went running around after the newscast pulling their kids' nightlights out of their rooms - undoubtedly causing nightmares for both them AND their kids. x(

-m

rrosen
09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Or for major klutzes like me lots of broken toes!

JMS
09-09-2004, 08:14 PM
It's all sensationalism. What I hate the most is the constant exploitation of local tragedy (ie., house fires, street shootings with crying family and neighbors, etc)... Of course it's very sad, but I hate that they play on that (at least in my opinion).
Sorry, didn't mean to get you worked up :)

jd11365
09-09-2004, 08:55 PM
That is absolutely absurd. What will they come up with next to scare people for no reason? Reminds me of the whole Bowling For Columbine piece.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

lmariana
09-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Huh. I think it's a ridiculous scare for parents, but it gets me thinking.

I wonder how many studies have been done comparing sleep duration and sleep patterns with the occurrence of cancer, all types not just childhood leukemia. If melatonin is in fact an anti-oxidant then you could hypothesize that the more sleep you get, the more you're helping your body prevent a potential cancer.

Saying that just sounds so ridiculous, but at the same time, it makes me want to hit the hay a little earlier tonight!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)