PDA

View Full Version : sleepless nights

zuzusmom
09-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Please help! My DD who is now 3 1/2 months old has gone from sleeping 5 hour intervals at night to 2 hours. The problem is she hates sleeping on her back. When she is on her back she moves around so much that she wakes herself up. We were so desparatewe placed her on her side to sleep and that is when the 5 hour interval began. The problem now is keeping her on her side or just roughing it out until she gets used to sleeping on her back. When she is on her side she falls over to her back despite the bumpers we use and then wakes up instantly. I need advice because I am home alone at night because that is when my husband works. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is a lifesaver this message board, especially for a first time mom.

deborah_r
09-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure, but here's a thought. Maybe if you swaddle her, and place her on her side, and keep a rolled up blanket or some kind of bumper behind her. Maybe if swaddled she won't move herself out of position. Of course, she might also get mad if she can't move!

The other thought I had was to try co-sleeping, maybe she would be comforted by having you close and wouldn't thrash about so much. Obviously, that's a very personal decision on your part, but again, just a suggestion.

Good luck! Probably not a great comfort to you, but my almost 16-month old is waking almost every 2 hours, but I think he is cutting his eyeteeth, because he is a miserable cranky puss all day too, which is very unlike him!

zuzusmom
09-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I will try swaddling her chest down. Good luck with the teething. It is such a hard time for your munchkin.

lizajane
09-10-2004, 01:51 PM
the good news is that she will probably be able to roll over soon, and when she can, it is safe for her to sleep on her tummy. if she can GET there on her owb, she is safe there.

my friend used a rolled-up afgan (because it had holes it in) to prop her son up on his side. we might try it with this guy.