PDA

View Full Version : consent form for medical care for kids when you leave town?

COElizabeth
09-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have a medical treatment consent form to leave with grandparents or other caregivers when you leave your child with them to go out of town? I searched a little on the web but could find only a for-profit site. Is a letter sufficient? Does anyone know if there is a resource that lists which if any states require such a form to be notarized or witnessed? TIA!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

new_mommy25
09-12-2004, 07:45 PM
I would contact your ped and the local hospital/ER and ask them what forms are required. I'm sure they get questions like that all the time.

bonbon98
09-12-2004, 08:09 PM
My MIL found a basic form at her workplace. She has a filled-out copy for each child at her house with DH & my cell phone #s, as well as the pediatrician's contact info, and permission to get medical care. I also included our insurance info also on her copies.

PM me if you want an emailed copy of my form. Hopefully, it'll be something that you might be able to use!

Bonny
Mom to Evan & Emma 5/7/02

Thatchermom
09-12-2004, 08:19 PM
As someone who takes other people's kids traveling, we have several forms we use. In Washington state we only have them notarize for taking kids out of state or out of the country, though I don't know about other states. It can never hurt if you have access to a notary. We have found from real experience using them in hospitals that they like them to be specific - detailing who is being given permission and for what time span - they are more wary of "blanket" forms that are general "this person can do this anytime". I think they want to be sure you are supposed to have the kid and haven't stolen them from someone, really. It is also always good to print allergy information and your primary doctor right on the form - all the answers are in one place. They have never outright refused to care for a student, however, even when the form has not been immediately available.

I left DS with my sister this summer while in Prague - I have all the forms we left for her if you are interested. Because we were out of the country for an extended time, we left her power of attorney forms as well as a medical release. We also left a copy of the med release with our Ped just in case. This part is hard to think about, but don't forget about leaving a will and guardianship instructions somewhere safe. Something we all should have but often put off until we will be away from our little ones.

Hope this helps!

jd11365
09-12-2004, 09:04 PM
What a good post. My mom will be flying down to take care of Kayla while DH and I go on a 3 day anniversary cruise...our first time away from the baby. My mom is my POA, but I think it's after my DH if something is to happen to us, I have to check. Anyway, if someone has a medical release form they can email to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

heidi_timms
09-13-2004, 01:41 AM
I have never thought of this. Thank you for bringing it up. I am going to ask my ped for a form the next time we visit her.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

loewymartin
09-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Here's what we used when we went on our cruise last year. I also gave my mom Alia's Health Insurance card. I dropped a copy of the signed form to Alia's pediatrician as well (just in case!) and by way of doing so let them know we were going out of town and if anyone they didn't recognize the name of called in a panic it was my Mom :-)

[I have the Word file if anyone wants it - I can only copy a .txt file here!]
Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02