PDA

View Full Version : Naming my twin girls...is this odd?

ColorBlue
09-15-2004, 06:47 PM
I don't post here often but I read every day and really value the info I get here! Here is my dilemna. My husband and I are expecting twin girls in October/November.

We cannot agree on names. I am absolutely in love with the name Ellie. He however doesn't want to name a baby with a shortened name but rather give a full name and just call the baby the short name. He is adamant about this. I on the other hand would just call here Ellie. So anyway I come up with Elizabeth as a full name for Ellie. Which I do really like as a name in and of itself. We don't really like any other full names (eleanor, etc) that would be shortened to Ellie. (although he has suggested Elise, which I don't really love). Here is the problem...our dd's middle name is Elizabeth. So my three girls would be

Grace Elizabeth (3 in Nov)

and the twins would be

Madeline Louise
and
Elizabeth Evelyn

nn of Maddie and Ellie.

My husband thinks its odd, weird and just wrong to use the name Elizabeth as a first name after we've used it as a middle name for our first dd. He actually asked me to get other people's opinions so I could sway him towards Elizabeth if most people don't think its odd.

BTW, the middle names are the grandmas' middle names so they are non-negotiable (I dont' love the two E names together but Madeline Evelyn sounds just wrong!).

Also do Maddie and Ellie sound too cute? I'm not really into the cute twin names.

Hope you can help me. Thanks!!

Tracy

dd Grace 11/01
edd 11/04 twin girls!!

bluej
09-15-2004, 07:06 PM
How about Ella or Elsa? Even though they are both short names I don't think anyone would think twice about you calling her Ellie instead. I like Maddie and Ellie and don't think it's too cutesy. Good Luck!

Melanie
09-15-2004, 07:09 PM
I love the name Ella, too.

jasabo
09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
I kind of agree that it might be a little odd to have a first name and a middle name the same. JMO though. I guess it would depend on how often Grace's middle name is used, ie, do you call her Grace Elizabeth at all, or just Grace. Also, if I were Elizabeth, I might wonder when I got older, why my name is the same as my sister's middle name. Again, JMO :)

Are there any other Ellie-like names you like? I REALLY love Ellie, and personally would have no problem using it as a name itself.

Good luck! Dh and I were never able to agree on girls' names, and I don't envy you this decision :)

Lisa - mom to 15 month old twin boys

COElizabeth
09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
My sister and I both have the same middle name, and it's never bothered me. If you called your DD#1 Grace Elizabeth all the time, I wouldn't name another child Elizabeth, but for most people the middle name doesn't come up all that often.

I think Maddie and Ellie are cute (but not too cute) and pretty names. And the full names are definitely not too cute.

Congratulations on your expected arrivals!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

american_mama
09-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Surprisingly, I don't think it's odd if Elizabeth is used twice in your family. Even though we always practice first and middle names when considering names for our children, remember how rarely middle names get used once children are born and named.

Other ideas that could work with Ellie: Ellery or Ellerey, Ellen, Elle, Elisa, Elinore or Ellinor, Eliza, Ella, Isabelle or Isabella, Gabrielle or Gabriella, Annelise, Eleria or Elyria, Elaine or Elaina or Elena, Elana, Eileen or Elene, Elien (common Dutch name, pronounced Eh-leen), Elicia (like Alicia), Cornelia, Nelia, Nelle, Nellice, Nellis, Nellianne, Thelma, Selma, maybe Liesbeth, Elsa or Else, or Elke.

There are probably a lot of pretty names that end in "-elle" or "-ella." You can go to babycenter.com or babynames.com and search for names based on just the ending. The database at babynames.com is llarger.

Good luck.

ETA: . Here are some results from babycenter.com/babynames using elle and ella and el as the last "letter".

Ariel or Arielle, Annabelle, Michelle, Belle, Joelle, Janelle or Jennelle, Gisele, Danielle, Noelle, Rochelle, Mirella, Mirabella, Marcella, Stella, Chantel, Jewel, Mariel, Maribel, Rachel, and Raquel.

Gee, I am spending too much time naming other people's kids rather than my own due in a month!

jec2
09-15-2004, 07:47 PM
How about Isabelle?

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-15-2004, 08:12 PM
I love your names...and I love the name Elizabeth, I always have, ad ear fFRench friend is named that and I love it. They call her "elizabet"

I see nothing wrong with one middle name of Elizabeth and one first name of Elizabeth but then again I don't really get into the hopla over middle names (probably because all of my children will have the same one, my maiden name, and it is not a pretty sounding name but means alot to me and my family)...

Hope that helps...all the names you mentioned are GREAT!!!!
You can't go wrong with any combo of any of them...

And HUGE congrats to you by the way!!!!
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine 1/05

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

redhookmom
09-15-2004, 08:16 PM
I think it might be a little quirky but that is what I like about it.

I have a Grace Elizabeth too and we call her Grace E.

Karenn
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
A girlfriend of mine used the middle name of her first DD as the first name for her second DD. The older DD absolutely loved sharing her name with her baby sister. I don't think she's ever regretted it. I love both your names and don't think they sound too cute at all.

hjdong
09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
I saw that you posted to this thread and I thought perhaps I would find out the name of baby to be. Oh well.

jbowman
09-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi Tracy,

I haven't read the other responses, but I thought I'd offer my two cents. First of all, I think Ellie is a great name, LOL (see below!). My DD's name is actually Elizabeth (which is my middle name) and we shortened it--b/c I love Ellie so much, but I wanted to give her a more formal, family name.

Also--if you really like Elizabeth, go for it, regardless of your daughter's middle name. DH has two sisters--Rebecca Melanie and Melanie Elizabeth--his mom just LOVED the name Melanie! It all works out.

And BTW, I'm a twin too! I have an identical twin sister, Jo. It's the best! Congratulations!!!!

Sarah1
09-15-2004, 09:32 PM
I don't think it sounds weird at all. I love the names you've picked out! Now you have to work on your DH :)

llcoddington
09-15-2004, 09:42 PM
My roommate in college was named Eve Charity. Her younger sister's name is Charity. I remember thinking that was different. I'm not sure that I would name a second daughter Elise- Lauren's middle name!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Karenn
09-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Give up my secret now? Never! :) Hopefully all will be known in a couple more weeks! I will say that I *especially* like one of the names listed in this thread. :)

jamsmu
09-16-2004, 12:21 AM
My only concern, as one of 3 girls, is that Maddie would feel left out and jealous to not be in the "Elizabeth" club. I know it sounds funny, but there is so much competition when there are three girls that this potentially could cause a connection between two and hurt the other.

I know this isn't what you want to hear... sorry about that. I really like Danielle/Daniella, Ella, and many of the others that a pp mentioned.

dotgirl
09-16-2004, 02:41 AM
I don't think it's odd. My oldest younger brother is named James Robert and my very youngest brother is named Robert Joseph and no one has ever remarked on it. We call them James and Bob, and I don't think it's a big deal.

AngelaS
09-16-2004, 07:53 AM
I know a family with boys who were named:

Steven Mark
Mark Paul
Paul John
and John something....

They used their favorite names w/each child and then they used their second favorite as a middle name. When the next one came along, they used their name again. :D

Gabrielle can be shortened to Ellie too.. :D

trumansmom
09-16-2004, 10:38 AM
FWIW, I like the name Eleanor. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

mamagoosie
09-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Count me in the Eleanor club as well. I would have picked it for my dd if it had worked with our last name.

Alex

amp
09-16-2004, 11:28 AM
I sympathize with your dilemma. It's a tough one. I have to say though, that I don't love the idea of using Elizabeth when you've already used it as a middle name. And I don't love Elizabeth Evelyn together that much. I think this kid needs her OWN name rather than a first name that belongs to her sister (middle) and a middle name that belongs to someone else. Keep the middle name if you need to, but consider another first name that can work with Ellie or another name altogether. Good luck!

ColorBlue
09-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone for the input....we haven't finalized names and probably won't until they are born but it gives both my DH and I other people's perspectives. Sorry I haven't thanked you all earlier but I've been dealing with Braxton Hicks contractions every time I move!! Pregnant with twins is not fun!!

Tracy

ColorBlue
11-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts. We had our girls on October 28...they were just waiting for the Red Sox to clinch the World Series because my water broke about two hours after the game. My husband, a long time Sox fan, says it was the happiest day of his life.
They came after about three hours of labor...a word of advice if you had a quick first labor...get to the hospital quickly!!!

We named them Ella Rose and Madeline Louise. They were born at exactly 37 weeks and weighted six pounds three ounces and six pounds thirteen ounces respectively. Thirteen pounds of baby!! After six weeks on bedrest I was delighted to have them both come home with me from the hospital!

We are all adjusting well, including my three year old.

Tracy

mharling
11-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Congratulations!!!!! Their names are beautiful. :)

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little sister on the way!!! March 2!

bluej
11-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like it was quite a victory for you and your DH :) Ella Rose and Madeline Louise have beautiful names!

casey118
11-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Congratulations! Always a little bit of relief to have your babies home safely.

Those names really are beautiful, and I like the outcome of Ella instead of Elizabeth.

jec2
11-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Congrats! I am sure they are as beautiful as their names. Cannot wait to see pics.

saalmc
11-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Congratulations on your healthy baby girls!! Their names are beautiful.

I hope the adjustment continues to be smooth!

Sara

McQ
11-04-2004, 02:12 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say. Maddie could feel left out. I don't have a problem if a name is reused for everyone, but it's an all or nothing kind of thing IMO.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

brigmaman
11-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Congratulations, Tracey!! What beautiful names. I'm so glad you posted again to let us know what you decided and that things had gone well!

McQ
11-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Congratulations! What a day. And welcome to your beautiful babes.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

kensjen
11-04-2004, 03:11 PM
CONGRATS!!!!

What beautiful names, so happy for you! Show us some photos when you have the time. Enjoy those sweet little babes. :)

jk3
11-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Congratulations! You chose two beautiful names. Wishing you all of the best with your new babies. =)

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Melanie
11-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Congratulations!

Their names are beautiful.

smomom
11-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Congratulations! and you selected absolutely beautiful names!!

ErinMC
11-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Tracy, Congratulations! I'm glad the girls are healthy and your labor went quickly. And their names are beautiful.

As a Red Sox fan myself, I had to laugh at your DH's comment. :-) Enjoy your beautiful new girls!

starrynight
11-04-2004, 06:01 PM
I'm glad they were healthy and a good size and are already home. They have beautiful names :).

almostamom
11-04-2004, 10:16 PM
What WONDERFUL news! Congratulations to the whole family. Your girls' names (all three of them) are just beautiful!

~Linda~