PDA

View Full Version : Does (or do you plan to send) your little one to preschool? If so, what age?

Marisa6826
09-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I was just reading in Parents magazine (not my biggest fave, but the subscription is almost up) that kids are now at a "big disadvantage" once they hit Kindergarten if they haven't gone to a preschool.

I know it's a big sanity saver for a lot of Mommies to get some time off from their toddlers, but I just can't see sending my Little Lamb off for the day. For that matter, I can't even imagine getting it all together enough to be someplace at a set time on a regular basis! Perhaps I will feel different once I have Amelia here ;). Since Sophie's a December baby, I don't think I will be able to send her till she's at least 3 anyway.

Also - What kind of preschool do you send them to? i.e., Montessori, Waldorf, Religious, etc. How did you make your choice? How sick expensive is it?

Thanks!

-m

lukkykatt
09-15-2004, 09:41 PM
I sent my older son at 3 (3 mornings a week) and my younger son just started at 2 (2 mornings a week). Mostly it had to do with their different personalities and what I thought they would like the best.

I went to look at all kinds of different schools in our area - coops, Montessori, religious-affiliated, private, etc. I sent both to a "regular" religious-affiliated preschool because it was the one that I liked the best. My older son is now at a different preschool, still religious-affiliated and slightly more toward the elite side - because he has a late bday and our state changed the bday requirements after he had started preschool. He had already completed the 4 yo program at the other school, but couldn't start kindergarten yet.

I think there is no right answer - I went with the school that I had the best feeling about when I went. The preschool that both boys started out at is more of a learning through play philosophy, which I like. The new preschool that my older son just started is more structured, but he responds well in a structured environment and I thought it would be a nice way to ease him into kindergarten.

I think the costs depend on your area and the kind of school that you end up selecting. I like preschool most for the socialization, learning to cooperate in groups, follow rules, etc. To me, you can always teach colors, numbers etc. at home, but I think that it is nice (but not necessary) for my children to be used to listening to another adult in a group setting.

lizajane
09-15-2004, 09:46 PM
i voted for 2 even though he started at 18 months. i didn't wait until next year because i knew i would be pregnant now. he goes 2 mornings/week. technically, it is mother's day out. but it is a really great program and IMO, more like preschool than just a mother's day out daycare kinda thing. baby 2 will go at 20 months.

it is at our presbyterian church. coincidence that it is OUR church. it came highly recommended by all kinds of folks all over town! most kids there are not church members. i would be happy to send him to a secular preschool. but i do like that they bless their food and teach "christian" priciples. (which might just mean nice manners to some.) so i made the choice based on the many recommendations i got and then the convienience of having it be our church already (and nearby).

it is CHEAP. $99/month for 2 days/week with 3.5 hours/day. so average 4 weeks/month, 7 hours/week, 28 hours/month is $3.50/hour. waaaaaaay less than hiring a babysitter to help me if i were sick from the pregnancy or for when i need to do my WAHM business work. (around here, sitters are $8-$10 and not too many are available during the day!) the "official" preschool rates are a little higher. (they start at age 3? maybe it is 2...)

MelissaTC
09-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Matthew goes 2x a week, T and TH from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. He has a snack and lunch at school. It is run by a Baptist Church so there is an element of God in some of the lessons, etc.. Basically, they learn songs like "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and Matthew can say "God made me". Considering we are Catholic, we had no issue with Matthew being introduced to God and Jesus. I was more concerned with theology and social views (I don't agree with conservative Christian views) and that is not something they teach the children.

I made my choice easily. I had seen a few schools and this one was the nicest, cleanest, had the best potty training policy (it is not mandatory that your child is trained by 3) and seemed to be the most supportive of children doing things in their own time. Each classroom has their own playground with age appropriate equipment. They provide him his snack and drinks. They have a music teacher that comes in once a week so he has learned songs, etc... While religious preschools in NC are not required to be licensed, this place has everything in order to be licensed and has consistenly earned 5 stars by the state during their surprise inspections. My Mom checked it out with me and thought it was great as well (my Mom is a former director of a day care and a preschool program).

I pay $200 a month which is higher than some of the other preschools (minus the Montessori and private school programs). Most of my friends pay $125 or around there for 2 days a week, but they their schedule is 9:15-12:15. Matthew tends to come home and take a nap until 5 pm.

I have noticed a huge change in him since starting preschool last year. He is definitely more social and outgoing. He used to be quite shy. I am amazed at the skills he is acquiring (he can sing the alphabet song, can count to 20, identify colors and understands the concept of the basic numbers meaning he can count two apples and understands what 2 means). Some of this definitely has come from going to preschool although I do a lot at home with him.

I know this has been long but I hope it has been helpful!

momathome
09-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey, Marisa! You already know that I send Kasey to preschool - but I'll give you my reasons why now! :) I think it is a very positive thing for her - she gets to interact with other children, learn how to share (in theory), and, something that I think can be hard for young children, learn how to listen and respond to an adult that is not mom and dad. The pre-school that Kasey goes to is very low-key - it is a small program run out of a Lutheran church (nope, we're not Lutheran) and the emphasis is on cooperative play and just learning how to function in a classroom environment - academics are pretty low key there, which is fine with me. What Kasey is getting out of the program socially seems far more important at this stage in her development. And, yeah, I'll admit it - I enjoy my 3 free mornings a week! Once you are juggling Miss Amelia and see the joys of dragging 2 small children to a grocery store, you may change your mind, too! ;)

Kasey started pre-school when she was 2 and a half and just went for 2 mornings a week - she loved it - it was a very positive experience for her. Now that she is 3 and a half, she is going 3 mornings a week - we'll do the same next year, too. Feel free to call if you want to chat about this!

toomanystrollers
09-15-2004, 09:59 PM
In Massachusetts, most preschools (that don't offer daycare) require that children are 3 by Sept. 1st. A typical first year is two mornings or two afternoons a week for a whopping 2 1/4 hours per session. Second year programs meets 3 times a week for 2 1/2 hours each class.

IMO, children who don't attend preschool are at a disadvantage. Preschool really isn't about "formal education". Preschool is more about learning how to treat other people and having LOADS OF FUN :)

We've found a wonderful school. I would classify it as Montessori/Waldorf-esque. Here's a snippet from our schools' "Philosophy and Goals": ...was created as an interactive learning environment for children to explore, to develop and understanding of the larger meanings of life and the importance of stewardship."

SIGN HER UP :)

Sarah1
09-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Well, our plan doesn't quite fit the poll, so I'll elaborate.

Our temple has a great preschool. They have programs starting with parent/tot classes. We're doing that this year. The class meets 2X/week, for 75 minutes. Audrey is in the 15-24 month old group, and since she (like Sophie) has a late birthday, she'll always be one of the older kids in the group.

Next fall, she'll be in the 2 1/2 year old group. The kids attend by themselves for 2.5 hours, 3 days/wk. The following year, she'll be in the 3 yr old group, and at that point you have the option of going 3 days/wk or going the full 5 days/wk (classes are still 2.5 hrs). The following year the program is JK (junior kindergarten), which some people opt to do at an elementary school instead of preschool.

To help you compare prices when preschool shopping :) here are some tuition costs. FYI, we live in Chicago (in the city):

Parent/tot: $1400/year ($1650 for non-members)
3 day, 2 1/2 yr old: $4420 ($5200 nonmembers)
5 day, 3 yr old: $6120 ($7200 nonmembers)

I got info from some other schools, just to compare costs, and this tuition seems to be in line with that of other schools in our area.

HTH :)

Marisa6826
09-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Do preschools run on a regular school calendar (Sept - June)?

If I was to sign up Sophie for a 2-1/2 year old class, that would be in June. I just assumed she'd have to wait till September, no?

And what's the deal with potty training? Can they go to school in dipes or do they have to be able to tell the teacher when they have to go?

-m

redhookmom
09-15-2004, 10:26 PM
There have been 2 major factors that have played a part in my preschool choices.

Are my kids ready?
Some children happily skip off to preschool giving Mom a wave behind the back. Then there are some that go kicking and screaming. My ds was somewhere in between. We tried preschool when he was 3, and it just didn't work. He was so stressed and I just didn't see the benefits outweighing the costs. We tried again when he was 4 and he started off slow but ended the year strong! I am glad he had some experience in the classroom before going off to kindergarten.
We are trying a toddler program for my dd right now. And, she is not doing well. When I leave she SCREAMS, a scream I have never heard before. She will not let the teachers touch her and she tries to escape. She does fine when I stay. I think we are just going to stop and try some enrichment activities that Mom stays for instead.

Is Mom ready?
Getting dressed and ready to go is hard! Especially with a baby. You have to decide if you want to make this regular commitement.

Cost at the preschool my kids went/go to. $90/month--2 mornings, $120/month--3 mornings, $250/month--5 mornings.

kalebsmama
09-15-2004, 10:54 PM
DS just started this week at 2 1/2. I wasn't going to send him, but after the arrival of DD this summer, I decided that he really needs more activity. I feel bad keeping him at home so much so DD can nap in the morning, and I don't want DD to always miss her nap so we can go out with DS. (she doesn't nap well out of her crib)
It was really hard on Tuesday and I am dreading taking him tomorrow. He was crying for me and trying to open the door as I walked down the hall. I was in tears myself! He didn't cry the whole time, but was still pretty teary when I picked him up. I gave him a hug and told him how I would always come back for him and he said "Mommy, I was so sad!" Broke my heart! So, we'll see how it goes. I'll just pull him out if he doesn't get better.
It is $95/month, and is 2 days/week from 9am - 11:20am and is at a Methodist Church. You have to be 2 by December (I think) and don't have to be potty trained.

ETA - it runs from just after Labor Day (we started a week late) until just before Memorial Day.

Sarah1
09-15-2004, 11:06 PM
I believe they all run on a regular school calendar. There is a cutoff date (i.e. Sept 1st) for when all kids have to be 2 1/2 (or 3, or whatever).

As far as potty training goes, I can't say for sure. That probably varies from school to school. I'm thinking most of these places expect the kids to be potty-trained by age 3.

C99
09-15-2004, 11:23 PM
It's funny that you mention this, as I've been thinking more and more about it lately. I can't decide whether to send Nate to MDO when he is 2 (in January), assuming that they start on the half-year or to wait until he's 2.5. I won't send him to preschool until he's 3.5, with the intent that he'll go to preschool for a year, pre-K for a year, and then start kindergarten.

Before I even had kids, I had a long talk with a pre-K teacher in San Francisco (it was for an article). She was actually one of the first teachers of pre-K when they pioneered the program in the 80's. She told me that in her research and practice, it didn't really matter if kids went to school before pre-K or if they knew their letters/numbers before they came into school. She said that she had kids who walked in the door knowing nothing and walked out at the end of the year as math prodigies. So I think that if I do send Nate to school before he's in pre-K, it will probably be b/c he needs the social interaction or I need the break.

June
09-16-2004, 12:01 AM
My two-year-old DD goes to preschool two mornings a week for 3 hours per day. I choose her preschool because it offers exposure to French and Spanish languages. These are things I cannot teach her properly on my own and have struggled with myself. I believe she'll have it easier later if she is exposed to different languages now. While at school she learns through play and interaction with the other children, but each day she has 30 minutes of play, song, and story time in either French or Spanish. My DD has only been in school for a month and chooses to count in Spanish now! Oh, and I love that she has a t-shirt and sweatshirt for a uniform.

jamsmu
09-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Since Carson's b-day is so late in the (school) year, we plan to hold him back and start Kindergarten at 6. So he'll start PS at 3.

I read the article, too, and, from a teacher's perspective, completely agree with what they reported. Students who didn't go to preschool were at a complete disadvantage in Kindergarten.

hjdong
09-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Am I the only one not planning on some sort of preschool? Maybe I'll change my mind as DS ages, but it seems expensive (and where we live, we will have to send to private school, so I would prefer to save money for that eventuality), like (a little hubris here I suppose) I can teach DS what he would be taught in preschool, and give him social experiences.

My only concern is that he won't have that all day school like experience. But, at some point, every kid has never had that experience, and they get used to it. It never occurred to me, since I'm saying home that I would send him to preschool, but so many people seem surpirsed by that. Am I missing something?

DDowning
09-16-2004, 12:23 AM
I've got Carson on a waiting list to start in the fall of next year. He'll go 2 days a week for about 2.5 hours a day. A good thing about this school is that starting in April of next year, I can take him before hand between 10/10:30 to visit every now and then so that he'll get used to it and excited about going to "school".

jk3
09-16-2004, 12:34 AM
What is your cutoff date in your district? I ask because our cutoff date is the last day of December so August wouldn't be considered a late birthday. Since your DS is only one it seems somewhat early to decide to hold him back. I know the stereotypes for boys + school but it can really go either way.

We will be sending our DS to a 2's program next September mainly due to the fact that he is an outgoing child who loves to be around other kids + thoroughly enjoys the music + gym classes we attend together. The program will be either 2 or 3 mornings (approximately 2-3 hours) a week. If he were a different type of kid, I would wait to send him to a 3's program but I think he will really enjoy being in a school setting next year. The other option would be to send him to a mixed age group school, possibly Montessori, since he loves to be around slightly older children. I'm just at the starting point of looking into schools but they start to fill up by October/November since the 2's programs are generally quite small in our area. The program we are most interested in is located w/in walking distance of our home. We've heard great things about it but we'll visit in the next few weeks to see for ourselves.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Vajrastorm
09-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Aine is only 11 months old, but I am pretty sure we'll be doing preschool relatively early. She is a social butterfly and thrives on group situations. We just started a mommy and me type class, and as the class began all the other babies/toddlers were sitting on or next to their moms, while Little Miss Busy had crawled off to explore and chat up the other participants.

I am confident in my ability to teach her information, but I think of preschool as something FUN, not something academic. I remember my own preschool experiences, and I loved preschool. I think I started at 2 1/2 or so. I have many fond memories of preschool, and no negative ones.

If dd were shy, or suddenly turns into a shy person, I will not force her into preschool. As it stands now, I think she'll find it fantastic.

MamaKath
09-16-2004, 02:25 AM
We sent dd to a private religous preschool. We had the only had 2 options both private religous schools and picked what we were most comfortable with. We only sent her 1 year. Honestly I had homeschooled her the prior year (very loose program) and this was more to have her meet some kids in our new area. It also gave me some nice time with ds which was an unexpected benefit for me. She was pretty bored with the academics of it (and would have hated the other school it had very little academic) but enjoyed making friends. We sent her 5 mornings a week at a cost of aprroximately 200$ a month. We do plan at this point for ds to go, but probably not until he is 1 year away from kindergarten as well.

As an early child educator by education I really think there are wonderful qualities to all those types of programs. I also realize they can be either very strictly styled or loosely even if they have the term Montessori, Waldorf, Religous, iykwim. Part depends on your child. Is she very creative, very musical, very gregarious, etc.

For eample, I had a friend who put her dd in a Montessori program. She was very quickly unhappy, and switched her child. When we talked she told me that she had realized that her dd benefits so greatly from group activities and musical programs that they put her in something with circle time and music class and songs. After that they were thrilled with their choice, it was a better fit!

HTH~

new_mommy25
09-16-2004, 02:37 AM
I have two very good friends who both worked in preschools. One is a major in child education and has been working in all the different types of preschools. Both have told me several times that they really thing it is a huge benefit to the child, both mentally and socially. I'm thinking I may do preschool but probably not until they are 3 or 4. I may consider going to a part time (maybe 2x a weeks?) but I'm not sure. I agree with you Marisa, in that it would be hard to send my baby off for the day. Of course, we do plan on having more kids so my ideas may change!!

FWIW, I never went to preschool and I started Kindergarten when I was 4. (My bday is December 25.) The cut off used to be December 31, but now it is August 1, so DS will be an "older" kid when he starts kindergarten. They are starting a program called "Junior Kindergarten" now for kids with late birthdays like Noah. At the end of the year the teacher decides if the kid is ready for first grade or if they should go to regular kindergarten. The program just went into effect this school year so we shall see what the results are later.

jubilee
09-16-2004, 04:26 AM
I sent my oldest to preschool when he was 4 years old and it was a good decision for us. If I had been able to send him when he was 3 I would have done that too. It helped my son gain some maturity and social interaction that he didn't get being an only child with a stay at home mom. He learned a lot about peer interaction, focusing on a task, cooperation, following instructions from an adult (teacher, aid, etc.) Those were things I couldn't give him at home. With my youngest, I will send him to preschool at age 3 or 4. I think it sets up a foundation to help with elementary school. Also, in my area, Kindergarten is only half days- and I've been told by the teachers they can't cover all the material in that short time, so they have to rely on kids getting some basics in preschool that used to be covered in Kindergarten.

AngelaS
09-16-2004, 07:57 AM
My oldest didn't go and I have no plans to send either of her sisters to preschool either. Now that my oldest is in first grade, she is lacking nothing by not going to a 'formal preschool'.

momathome
09-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Most pre-schools I know of do run on a regular school calendar, so Sophie would probably start next September. As far as potty training goes, that seems to vary school to school and age group to age group. At Kasey's school, there were no potty training expectations for the 2's - diapers, pull-ups, and underwear were all acceptable and there was both a changing table and a bathroom right in their classroom. For the 3's at her school, they are expected to be potty trained, although they do allow pull-ups for the first few weeks of school. Thank goodness, Kasey FINALLY became fully potty trained about 2 days before school started so she is underwear full-time now and they give the kids plenty of bathroom breaks at school. Every program is different, though, so be sure to grill whatever school you are checking out as to what their expectations are from year to year. Good luck!

Calmegja2
09-16-2004, 09:23 AM
I sit on our preschool's board, so I'm an advocate for preschool, but I also believe that you know your child best, and your situation best, and it's not one size fits all.

My eldest started preschool at 4, two days a week. When she was 5, she went to a pre-K program, 3 days a week.

My second went to a 2 day a week program starting right before his 4th birthday, then a 4 day a week program when he was 5.

My third started preschool a few months before she turned 4, and starts her 4 afternoons a week pre-K program today.

My caboose will probably start 2 days a week next year, but we're going to see how it shakes out.

Our prices, at our preschool, are :

$890 for two mornings a week
$1300 for three mornings a week
$1750 for four afternoons a week

Those prices are in line for our area. We are a private, not for profit group.

August Mom
09-16-2004, 09:50 AM
This is a really timely question because we've been thinking about it too. I'm not sure if we want to send DS or not. If we do, I would want it to be the year before kindergarten, only half days and not 5 days a week. I really don't like the increasing push for little kids to grow up so fast. A lot of the things that we learned in kindergarten kids now are expected to know before kindergarten. I think DS can learn his letters, etc., but I don't think there should be a push for earlier and earlier formalized education. Anyway, aside from that, the real question for me is whether DS really needs the socialization. I'll have to decide that when he's older. We did go to a new library storytime yesterday, though, and it gave me a glimpse into what kindergarten might be like with no preschool. Most of the kids and parents there were regulars. They knew all the songs and motions to the songs. Those kids got up and participated DS seemed very intimidated and just wanted to stay in my lamp. It gave me something to think about.

lmintzer
09-16-2004, 09:58 AM
We just started preschool throught our temple too. It is a wonderful program (also Chicago area). Though Jack could have started in the 2 year-old group last year, we chose to wait. I think it was the right decision. We enrolled him in the preschool's summer camp this past June/July. He was 3 years, 3 months when it started, and it was just perfect.

Jack was ready to separate from us at this age and did so with minimal anxiety. He was ready to socialize and also could report to us (fairly acurately) if something went wrong (which is key for me).

School meets 2 1/2 hours/morning 4 days/week (T-F). The program's philosphy is "Learning through play". They don't do a lot of formal educating about letters, numbers, etc. It's all in a play context. They also teach Hebrew in the classroom through using both Hebrew and English words for common words/phrases. The teachers and prinicipal are very loving and gentle and seem to be accepting of different personalities.

Wow, Sarah, your temple's program costs quite a bit more than ours! I'm not looking at our exact numbers, but they are a good deal less (maybe even less than 1/2 of the tuitions you are posting).

ETA: one other thing--kids do not need to be potty trained to attend this school, which was also important for us given Jack's stomach problems and lack of initiative to train.

dowlinal
09-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Marisa,

It's funny you posted this now because I just put Madeline on a waiting list for a "preschool" The high school in my town runs a pre-school for 3 & 4 years olds - I think its 3 days a week for a few hours. It's so popular that you have to put your name on the list while they're still babies. I participated in this when I was in high school so I thought it would be fun for Madeline to go. I am still debating sending her to a "real" pre-school. I think that we probably will but only to one that's very laid back for the socialization aspect and only for a few hours 2-3 days/week.

A

lizajane
09-16-2004, 10:36 AM
i don't think you are missing anything. i really wanted schuyler to go to preschool. if i didn't intend to be pregnant now (which i am) i might have waited until next year, or even the year after. and i didn't need the extra income that my WAHM business provides (and will, i hope, provide MORE with the added free time) i might not have done it until he was 3 or 4. but i do need some time to earn some money and i do need some extra time to rest (and later some extra time to spend with schuyler's brother.)

so i wouldn't think anything of it if everyone else i knew didn't go to preschool. even though i think it is a great experience for small children to have before the full day of structured kindergarten.

and honestly, i would PREFER to teach him colors and numbers and the alphabet myself! i will probably be racing to teach these things to him before they start teaching them to him in school! just because i want to be his mommy and his favorite "teacher." which is silly. he isn't in preschool to learn blue and red. he is there to play with new people and learn from new adults and to give me some time to sew and to rest.

pamela mom of 3
09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
My girls did not attend preschool or junior kindergarten and neither will my son, I totally disagree they are at any disdavantge because of this.

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://lilypie.com/baby4/010103/0/5/3/-6/.png

amp
09-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Marisa - I voted for 3+, but really I'm toying with the idea at this point. I'd like to say that I won't worry about sending him to preschool. I mean, I'm home, so why do it! BUT...I have heard the same thing you have and I have talked to parents in our school system who say these kids are expected to learn a LOT more than you or I did before kindergarten! So, my final answer is that I guess I need to find out what is required knowledge and skill and see where DS is at. Also, I think the socialization at preschool is valuable, but can also be gotten at other venues (playgroups, classes, etc). I'll just have to wait and see.

And, from having worked at a daycare, I found that most of the curriculum stuff happens in the am. If I decided to go this route, I would plan to have my kid go in maybe 2-3 mornings per week for those activities and then pick up before nap time. Lunch and nap can be done in our house!

jamsmu
09-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Our cut-off is Sept. 1, which makes Carson 3 days from the cutoff. I actually decided this while he was in the womb--didn't know if he would be a girl or boy.

Being a teacher and from personal experience, I always said I would not let my child be the youngest in the class. No, I am not doing this based on his intelligence, I'm a proud mommy of a one-year-old and I think he's very intelligent. I'd just rather him be able to mature with the class, and not after the class.

amp
09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
The preschool I worked at took kids anytime there was an opening in that age group, rather than a regular calendar year. So at that particular school, Sophie could have started in June, Sept., Jan, etc.

In the 2 yr old room, they were just starting to learn about potty training and no training or potty know-how was required. They had access to a bathroom, but also had a changing table and changed dipes regularly. There was no requirement until they got to the 3 yr old room and they did make a few exceptions but not many.

redhookmom
09-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I thought that this thread would be a good place to share something ugly my ds's principal said to me during kindergarten screening.

During a one-on-one meeing with her she asked if ds went to preschool. I said yes, 3 mornings a week. She said with a look on her face, many of our students have gone 5 days a week. I was a bit stunned so I didn't say anything. If only I had that meeting to do over.

IMHO children do not need preschool to do well in kindergarten. Especially when there are involved parents who read and talk to there kids lots.

C99
09-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Are those prices monthly?

mollyi
09-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Jan - you are in Dayton, right? Andy just started a very similar program - I didn't even know there were more programs like it around here! :)

Andy (who is 2 1/2) is going 2 mornings a week from 9-11:30AM. The preschool is located at a Methodist church - we belong to a Methodist church, but it is not at the one we belong to. (The church we belong to has a very good preschool, but it doesn't start until age 3). The cost is $78/month, and it also runs from the week after Labor Day to the week before Memorial Day. The 2 year olds do not have to be potty-trained - if they are not, you supply their diapers or pullups and wipes. There is a little potty right off of their classroom for those who are potty-trained or working on it.

We were also not planning on sending Andy to preschool until next year....and then baby Ben was born in July. I am getting out with both kids some, but not as much as Andy and I used to get out. (Which was every day). There is 1 teacher with 7 kids - and an aide and the director who float between 4 classrooms. The teacher came highly recommended to me (as being exceptionally kind and patient) by 2 friends whose kids had her as a teacher last year. We are really just sending him for the socialization aspects - we can teach him letters/numbers, etc. at home. Andy is a pretty social little guy - so far he is totally loving the preschool and has shed no tears. It does help that 2 of his friends from playgroup are in his class, so he has familiar faces there. We were lucky to get in the class - Andy was on a waiting list and someone apparently pulled out at the last minute so Andy was in.

Sarah1
09-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Lisa--what temple do you guys go to????

We're at Temple Sholom. It has gotten more expensive over the last few years. The other programs I compared it to were non-religious schools--private preschools like Lakeshore Academy, Catherine Cook School, Montessori, etc, and the cost was actually less! So, those programs are really getting up there in price.

pixelprincess
09-17-2004, 03:42 AM
Marisa,
I voted 3 yrs so we still have some time to decide. I have been doing some preliminary research on preschools. One of the contenders in a private preschool called Challenger (they are all over the bay area) that my friend sent her kids to. I looked into Challenger for a few reasons...it is within 15 min driving distance, my friend's kids have thrived and are really bright, young individuals at 10 and 6, and of course her experience. I went to an open house and got to see kids in their daily routine. They teach phonics through music and games which seems like an interesting approach. Here's some interesting reading if you are up for it. http://www.challengerschool.com/Newsletter/thedance.html

Challenger is an expensive option, so I am also looking into a local preschool that has rave reviews from parents in our community. It is very sought out and one has to be on the waiting list for months, so I need to hurry up and see if it would also be a fit for us. Or at least put our name down since it takes me forever to do any research.

starrynight
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
I voted other. I'm not doing preschool, I'm a homeschooler. I do the same stuff with my kids I'm just not sending them away to do it. I don't see the point in paying for preschool if I'm not sending them to public school anyway.

I am not surprised though about the kids being behind, with so many kids in daycare and preschool nowadays. It probably is rare to have a kid go to public and not have been in any kind of preschool or daycare at all and if they did and the parents didn't do the learning at home, I can see them being a bit behind.

cchavez
09-17-2004, 04:04 PM
We are considering MDO/preschool next Fall. D will be around 28 months. Preschool seems to be a prerequisite around here with most of the children starting around 2 years of age. A few of D's friends have already started at 18 months. I never really thought I would consider sending him b/c I can work with him so he can learn colors, shapes,etc. but I think he will need the socialization in group setting w/o me.

egoldber
09-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Well, my original plan was to send her at age 3. But when she was 2, I reached a personal breaking point around being responsible for her care 24/7 with no breaks, due to DH's rather intense travel schedule, so I enrolled her, pretty much spur of the moment in a 2 mornings a week preschool at my local Jewish Community Center.

For us, preschool has been an overwhelmingly positive experience. The school is very laid back, has loving and caring teachers and focuses on providing developmentally appropriate activities. While I enrolled her in this program with basically no comparison shopping, so to speak, I am just super happy with the program. I was specifically NOT looking for a super academic type program, but rather one that was warm, low key and focused on fun, developmentally appropriate activities for the children. I do not personally think that intense academics has any place in a preschool environment, but thats my opionion of course. I was also thrilled because they do not require potty training for ANY age group.

For us, the fact that she is at the JCC is a bonus. While we are a culturally Jewish family, neither DH nor I is particularly religious or observant. By having her at the JCC, it allows us to provide her some cultural experiences that, frankly, we would not otherwise provide. The JCC focuses on providing culturally enriching Jewish experiences that are age appropriate without being over the top for a family like us. In fact, there are many non-Jewish children in her class, the program is just such a nice one.

I will say that I do not think that preschool replaces, in ANY way, my opportunities or responsibilities as a parent to provide educationally enriching activities for her. I don't think that she has learned things like colors or numbers at school vs. at home. The preschool provides her opportunities to do different things that I do not get a chance to at home, like very messy play and large gross motor play activities. I also personally look at it as being MUCH cheaper than hiring a sitter to give me a break a few mornings a week.

Personally, I don't think that preschool's value is academic. Although I can see where children might be behind if parents did not take the time to teach their children the things that are expected in kindergarten these days, and that are taught at 4 year old preschools. I see preschool's value (or lack of value, depending on your perspective) in its socialization aspect. The children learn to interact in large groups and to play nicely with others in a group setting. Some children might settle easily into this at age 5 in kindergarten, but I can also see where some kids might "struggle" without the practice provided by preschool.

Also, my DD tends to be on the timid side socially. For her, preschool has also been a wonderful social confidence builder. Her language skills also benefited tremendously from being in preschool. But that is her and other children might react differently. She also tend to be timid about trying new things and about new experiences. Preschool has also been great in providing her with lots of opportuities to try new skills and experiences that I can't at home.

And since the OP was concerned about cost, we paid $180 a month last year for 2 mornings a week (9 am to 1 pm). We pay $270 a month this year for 3 mornings a week (9 am to 1 pm). I have to send her lunch and it has to be kosher, because the entire facility is kosher.

Wow, that was a book! :)

redhookmom
09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
In a general weekly letter home today my son's K teacher described how some children are not good at following directions is a group. That statement made me cringe. I guess the expectation is that children can do this before they start K. :o

Calmegja2
09-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Yearly. ;-)We have a 34 week session.

The T-Th, M-W-F programs are mornings, the M-Th program is an afternoon class. The classes are 2.5 hours each.

lmintzer
09-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Sarah,
Hope this won't get lost in the whole sea of posts. We go to Oak Park Temple. : )

Momof3Labs
09-17-2004, 11:38 PM
MDO and half-day preschool is virtually non-existent around here before age 3, except as part of a full-time daycare program. But there is a park district program that Colin can start in the spring, if we are lucky enough to get a spot. Even if that doesn't pan out, I'd like to send Colin to preschool when he turns 3, but that definitely depends on what his personality is like in a year!

myllam
09-19-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi,

DS has been in daycare since he was 4 months old, so we wanted to send him to preschool at some point. We opted for an at home daycare so he would get more personal attention and he loves it and is great friends with the other kids.

Originally we had tried to sign DS up for a full-time montessori preschool when he reached 3. We signed him up when he was a year old and that was too late :-). So depending on where you live, sign up early! The montessori school was outrageously expensive, I think $1200 a month?

Luckily, we had signed him up for another preschool that offered 2 half days a week at a local episcopalian church. They do not teach religion so that was not an issue (DH is United Methodist, I don't really have a religion). We visited a few times and the preschool was highly recommended by everyone we talked to including our daycare person. Talking to parents at playgroups, the park, our pediatrician, friends is a good way to find out what preschools are recommended. This program was $250 a month for 2 mornings a week. We live in the bay area so everything is more expensive.

We are so glad we have DS in the preschool he is in now. The other school was 5 days a week full time, so I think that would have been too much. I think two mornings a week is fine and he seems to really enjoy it. He has come home with projects he has done and he also sings the songs he has learned. The first day he came back from preschool, he pretended he was a teacher reciting the alphabet on a blackboard.

I think the reason for preschool is the social interaction. It is an extension of playing, but they get to do it with a bunch of kids their own age.

Sarah1
09-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh! OK. I'm thinking our temple's program (and likely our membership dues) may be more expensive b/c it's in the city (Lakeview area). They really get you in the city....*sigh*.

suribear
09-19-2004, 07:09 PM
We transitioned DD into preschool. We started just before her second birthday, after she was potty trained. That year I joined a parent coop, where you go with your child and help out in the classroom (anything from scrubbing the toilet to preparing snack). It was just 2.5 hours a week! The next year I sent her to a traditional "learning through play" type preschool, with a wonderful nurturing environment. That was twice a week for around 2.5 hours. Last year it was thrice a week for 3 hours. I think it was a GREAT way to transition into kindergarten, where she learned to play nicely with others and follow rules, not to mention the basic academic stuff, though we taught a lot more at home. She had a ball there!

Coops are quite reasonable, as you pay with your time. It's tough when you have a younger sibling, though some moms just brought the non-mobile baby along! (I don't know if I'd have the energy to do that :)) Her other preschool was housed in a church, and therefore the rent was subsidized, meaning they could afford to charge very reasonable rates. ($95/mo. for the first year, and $140 for the second) ETA: Though it was housed in a church, it was a secular program.

It was truly a great break for me, though I got pregnant right before she started the traditional preschool. In that sense, I was never truly child free when I dropped her off ;)

Kris