PDA

View Full Version : Has stress ever gotten the best of you and caused you to do something you regret?? (long)

jerseygirl07067
09-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Gosh, I couldn't figure out how to word this post so I will try to best explain what happened today. Suffice to say, I was in tears tonight after explaining my day to my DH.

Just a little background, DD is almost 9 months old and I have been working full time (80% from home and 20% at the office) since she was 3 1/2 months old. (This is definitely not by choice, I'd not work at all if I could afford it.) We usually have someone come to our home 10-15 hours per week to watch DD, so I can go to the office and do some things there that I can't do at home. For the most part it works out well and there have been weeks where I had to juggle doing my job and taking care of DD without the sitter (if a problem arose) It was very stressfull, and tiring but doable.

Just to elaborate about my job, I am a team leader and am responsible for auditing paperwork, which I can do during hours of my own choosing. I do this part often when DD is sleeping, and on Sunday. However, I am also responsible for being available on cell phone for 8 hours a day mon-friday. Often these calls involve putting out fires, or acting as a liason between departments and staff members. That is the part that gets stressful, sometimes my phone rings and then I am stuck on a 30 minute call, or there is some issue that arises that needs to be handled ASAP that I have not control over. I am trying to do the best job I can, even more so because my boss has allowed me to have this opportunity to work from home, and I guess I am trying to prove myself.

Which brings me to today....DD was having an especially fussy day today, wouldn't nap, wanted more attention which I felt like I did a crappy job of giving her. My phone was ringing off the hook, and I got to the point where I said to heck with it, I will have to wait until she takes a nap. Well sometimes I think these babies are so smart they can detect when things aren't right and mom's really stressed, so wouldn't you know it she didn't nap very long (out of the norm for her) and that made her even more fussy and wanting attention. Well she seemed to calm down, and then I got a phone call and needed to problem solve on the phone with one of the clinicians, so I was on for a while. DD starts getting really fussy, crying, I picked her up and carried her around while writing things down regarding this issue I was handling,continuing to be stuck on the phone, she's pulling at my hair, the phone, the paper I'm writing on...you get the picture. (This happens when I use my hands free set also.)

Then I continue getting phone call after phone call of all of this "crap" that needs to be taken care of NOW, and this needs to be done, and that. I can't get DD to play independently at all, even after trying to give her some good one on one time for a while. She continues to whine and fuss, and I feel like I'm in the middle of a Calgon take me away commercial. Not only that, my home phone is ringing but I ignore that one.

Anyway, I guess I just lost it and started yelling at DD. I would never have hit or shaken her, I just want to make that clear!! But I clearly lost my temper and took it out on her, on my poor little innocent baby that I have mothered and carried around for 9 months and then nine months more. I am beating myself up over this and cried to my DH about it, including now. I feel like I my reaction was wrong, but I am concerned about my ability to handle this kind of stress.

I know that many moms that work out of the home would envy my situation, but sometimes I feel like it's not all it's cracked up to be. I feel like I am having to do two full time jobs at once!! The pressure definitely gets to me on some of the more hectic days. I just don't know how much longer I can keep this up. I don't want to put DD in daycare, and we are looking into finding someone that might be able to cover more hours. But until then I need to get a handle on my emotions.

To top it off, we want to have a second baby soon, but I told my husband that I WILL NOT continue this type of schedule should baby #2 come along. Nor do I think I can handle this if I do become pregnant again. We have agreed to try to save up as much money as possible over the next year, so that when #2 comes I don't have to go back to work full time, or I could at least go part time.

Luckily my DH has been understanding, but I feel totally awful about what happened today. I don't want to let it happen again, and I know I will continue to have these extrememly stressful days until I can stop working. Thank goodness I go on a two week vacation in two weeks. I have not taken any days off since March.

Anyway, I am sad, and I just wanted to vent...I feel just awful

Thanks for listening...

Marcy

jbowman
09-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Hugs Marcy! Do we have the same job? Do we have the same babies, LOL?

I totally understand how you feel. I work from home often (just mentioned this in another post, but I'm a prof--so I lecture on campus, but prep/research at home) and get the majority of my work done in the evening and on weekends. I also use childcare (combo of a nanny and Parent's Day Out) for 10-15 hours per week. From experience, I know that it is a highly stressful situation.

I always think: somehow I've managed to be a SAHM and a WOHM at the same time. This, of course, is often followed by a primal scream. Yes it's a blessing to be home with DD, but it's also IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done!

And sometimes we mothers (mere mortals!) have bad days. You are a good mother--you just had a bad day. And Samantha knows that you love her! I've had those days, we all have. Just pat yourself on the back and know that you are doing a great job!

And as Scarlett O'Hara would say, "tomorrow is another day..."

redhookmom
09-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Big Hugs Marcy! I can't imagine being in your slippers. I have regretted the mood that I am in with my kids sometimes but I think of them as lessons and try to go from there.

jamsmu
09-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Hugs to you Marcy! No mom is expected to be perfect... the love that you obviously have for your daughter is wonderful... and she'll grow from that.

deborah_r
09-16-2004, 12:07 AM
I think these days happen to us all, and it is certainly understandable for you to have momentarily lost it. It does not make you a bad mother.

I was working at home and taking care of DS until June of this year, and I tell you, it just kept getting harder and harder as he got older. Some people on these boards have referred to working from home while parenting as the worst of both worlds and I tend to agree! Don't underestimate how hard it is - you probably encounter a lot of people who haven't done it and think you have it made, but I think it is very difficult to do.

I hope you can find a way to reduce your burden and your stress level some! Until then, just keep doing the best you can!

stella
09-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Like someone said in a previous post, this doesn't even put you in the running for worst parent of the year. Just apologize to the baby and hold her and since it's after 5, turn off your cell phone.

And tell yourself that tomorrow is another day. And just give yourself a break.

I have had many situations like what you just described - needing to be on the phone for work but being clung to by a baby or toddler...It is so hard.

In the future, you might just put her in her bed, give her some toys, turn on some music, close her door and go to the other end of the house to finish your phone call. I have done this lately when a baby was so fussy that I knew I would regret anything I said or did as a result of frustration. Just a little time out for everybody.

She can't hurt herself in her bed and if she's crying with you, she might as well cry by herself for a few minutes, and then at least you're not both miserable. Of course, you don't want to do it for a long period of time, but long enough to finish a phone call? She'll be fine. Or a baby Einstein video to distract her.

Just remind yourself that you are working for HER benefit, and that she gets to have you almost all day every day, even though she doesn't understand it.

Forgive yourself - if this is the worst you do as a mommy, you are in good shape. Besides, she won't remember it - only you will - so try not to torture yourself too badly - you're doing a good job.

jd11365
09-16-2004, 12:21 AM
I agree. I work from home 13 hours a week and also teach at the college 2.5 hours a week. It's sooooo much easier to leave the house and focus on my teaching job. Working from the house is very tricky. When someone calls in the middle of a temper tantrum or a "needy" moment, it can be very frustrating to say the least. In a situation like that, I've had to put Kayla in a safe place, like her crib, while I finish a phone call in another room. It's been a very rare occasion as Kayla is a really independent kid, but it's happened. She may have been unhappy for a few minutes, but I've kept her happy the other 99.9 percent of the time, and I know that finishing the phone call has afforded me the opportunity to stay home with her. Big hugs to you mama...we really need to have lunch sometime!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

Momof3Labs
09-16-2004, 12:31 AM
Marcy, I work from home part-time, and there's no way I'd want the job that you have! You are under a ton of stress and ARE doing two full-time jobs at once! I have child care (DH or my mom, fortunately) while I am working, otherwise there's no way I'd get anything done at home. I know that you don't want to hear this, but as your DD gets older, it will get harder and harder for you to work while she's awake (plus she'll be sleeping less and less). Never mind adding a second baby to the mix.

I'd strongly suggest that you try to tweak the situation soon so that you aren't scrambling in a few months - either by increasing your use of child care or reducing your work committment. It's not fair to your job, to your child or to yourself to try to maintain a situation like this.

And trust me, we've all raised our voices at one time and quickly regretted it...

jec2
09-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Marcy, a big hug. I can only imagine the juggling act you are conducting. We all have rotten days. I know today DS wanted me attached to him ALL DAY LONG and I didn't have any work today. I know I was at my wits end. Give your DD a hug, and have your DH hug you.

jerseygirl07067
09-16-2004, 01:09 AM
<<as your DD gets older, it will get harder and harder for you to work while she's awake (plus she'll be sleeping less and less). Never mind adding a second baby to the mix>>

Yes, this crosses my mind daily!! I actually talked to my boss in private a few months ago about job sharing my position. I presented him with ideas on how to make it work. He was actually open to it, much to my surprise. Ironically I work with another woman who is on maternity leave and she has expressed this to him as well. My boss has told me that when I am ready to do this I should let him know sp we can iron out the details.

I just need to stash away a bit more cash, and may be talking to him very soon!

I just wanted to say that coming to this board tonight has been great. You have all made me feel a lot better! Thanks everyone....

Marcy

jerseygirl07067
09-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Jamie,

At which college are you teaching? And yes, we must do lunch sometime! I will e-mail you my phone number. I would love to meet you and Kayla! (And put the face to the type, so to speak)

Marcy

amp
09-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Awww, Marcy, honey....hugs to you!

YES! I have been there! And my work at home is as a SAHM! I don't even have the excuse of having work problems on the phone! We've ALL been there, I think! Please don't beat yourself up! We all do it and we all feel terrible afterward. It's part of being human and being a mom. Your daughter is not going to hold this against you and will love you just the same. And this probably is not the only time in her whole life that this will happen. Take comfort in knowing you are human and that you have a lot more impulse control that lots of other people who would do harm. Give yourself a break! And hug your daughter and tell her you're sorry you yelled and that you love her. It will make you feel better and she'll get loved up, which she'll love!

lisaE
09-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Listen, I am a SAHM and I get that stressed too. Just last night I said to DH and DS (almost 8 months old) that I was going to walk right out the front door and keep right on walking. I didn't mean it, I just felt like I was at some breaking point.

You feel bad, you know it's not right, and you'll try to do better in the future. For the mean time, forgive yourself and just know that you are trying to do your best for everyone.

Tak care-

californiagirl
09-16-2004, 04:20 PM
I hear you; I've been just astoundingly lucky to have the chance to be a SAHM and a WOHM for 6 months, and I'm so grateful, and oh my goodness it's hard. I'm going (slowly) back to being a full-time WOHM partly so that if I wake up at 6 on a Sunday morning and DH and DD are peacefully asleep, I won't have to think "Great! Now I can get some work done!"

Plus, if she's at daycare, then I can think about work for 5 minutes without discovering later, after I get to the office, that I have become covered in used banana as a result.

DH has trouble understanding just how stressful it is, partly because he can't understand how it's possible in the first place. If he's got her, he can't do anything even vaguely like work.

The baby and the job will both be fine; everybody has off days, however life is structured. Both babies and jobs have an infinite stress potential.

ohiomom
09-16-2004, 10:25 PM
I give you a huge amount of credit for pulling this off so long. I had figured out the "perfect" schedule of working both in and out of the home... Ha! Didn't work at all for me. I'm too distractable for one reason and just couldn't get the "real?" work hours in... so back to the office I went. Somedays I'll do short in-office days and do a few hours in the evening, but even that has gotten tougher. Luckily DH was able to stay home w/DD 1-2 days a week. Give yourself a huge hug and pat on the back for doing so well most days and congratulate yourself on recognizing your limits. That makes for a great parent!

Nicole's Mom 7/03