PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Poison ivy and pregnancy!!!

momathome
09-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Ugh!!! I hadn't weeded our flower bed in a while so I decided to tackle that last Wednesday. BIG mistake! I had what I initially thought were some bug bites on my arms and did not really think anything of it. By the weekend, the itch was unbearable and I noticed my "bites" were starting to spread. Owww, this is so itchy! It is up and down both arms and I have a tiny patch on my pregnant tummy. I did buy calamine lotion and I have been applying that and I am wearing long sleeves to try and prevent it from spreading anywhere else or, god forbid, to the girls. Is there anything else that anyone recomends doing? I have never had poison ivy before!

redhookmom
09-20-2004, 09:53 AM
It cannnot spread to your girls unless you still have the oil from the poison ivy leaves on you. The oil could still be on the clothing you were wearing. The clothes should be washed in cold water as well as anything else you touched.

When you wash you should also try to use warm to cool water. The hot makes the healing take longer. (even though it feels darn good)

The was an article in Mothering last month about Poison Ivy and Moms. I will see if I still have it and if there is anything useful in the article.

mharling
09-20-2004, 09:57 AM
My dad just had a nasty case of it, so you have my full sympathy! He used cortisone cream for a little while, but when it didn't improve, decided to go the doctor. In his case, is was continuing to spread 5-6 days after exposure. If you don't see a noticeable difference in a day or two or if it continues to spread, I would go. A dr could prescribe something stronger than you can get OTC.
Good luck!!!! You poor thing. :(

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

newbelly2002
09-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Ouch! Ugh. You've got some good advice so far. You're doing the right things. I hope for your sake it passes quickly.

Our dog got into a large patch of it the day before I delivered. I went into labor with one eye swollen red and shut. I look like a prize-fighter in most of my hospital pictures! At least you're getting it out of the way before delivering :)

Marisa6826
09-20-2004, 12:16 PM
I think it can still spread from the oozing patches as well.

I remember my mother getting horribly when I was a teenager. She had it all between her fingers. Couldn't even hold a pen to write. I remember she ended up going for a Cortizone shot and it cleared right up.

Have you tried dabbing on a baking soda and water solution? You can safely take Benedryl at night to help sleep.

I know that plain old deodorant works for bug bites - the aluminum in it does something. Wonder if it would work for the poison ivy. Of course, I would toss the container after the poison ivy was gone ;). No itchy pits needed! :P

Feel better!

-m

MamaKath
09-20-2004, 02:07 PM
No advice, but some soothing non itchy vibes for ya! I would send you a hug, but I would guess that would not be of comfort. I hope it gets better soon, that sounds absolutely unbearable. :-(

Jeanne
09-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Lauren,
My mom does quite a bit of gardening and gets it a few times each season. She swears by Ivy Dry. It's in a brown bottle I believe, and it's a clear liquid with a wicked smell!
Feel better!

momathome
09-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone! Few questions - how contagious am I? I have stripped my bedding and washed everything, I am being very careful not to touch the girls, and I wore a sweatshirt to bed so as not to get any on dh or the bed. So, do I need to keep it covered so it doesn't spread? Can I wear the same sweatshirt to bed again tonight or should that go right in the wash? I am getting conflicting info from my mother and brother who have both had it before so some solid info would be great. TIA!

mharling
09-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Here's a short blurb I had found when my dad had it:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=D52F6A79-2208-4D37-9CFE3595C4425376

I probably wouldn't worry too much about your girls or dh getting it, provided that you've showered down and washed the clothes you were wearing at the time. My parents slept as the always do and my mom didn't pick anything up.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

redhookmom
09-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Poison ivy is not contagious. Once the oil is gone there is nothing to react to. I can get poison ivy so bad that I literally cannot walk. It is so crazy to me that a leaf can cause so much damage. I to got it when I was pregant. I could not get my usual shot and was so miserable. Take care of yourself and stay away from the gardern.

http://www.umm.edu/childsafety/outdoor_safety/ency/poison%20ivy/poisonivy.htm

The main reason you should not scratch it is because you could cause an infection. (And, I personally think it lasts longer.)

You can also get conflicting infomation from Dr.s. Which drives me crazy.

momathome
09-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Jessica and Mary! That information that you linked for me was very helpful! I am both encouraged and discouraged by it (14 days or more - ugh!!!). I just want the itching to stop - it is unbearable!

JLiebCamm
09-20-2004, 10:33 PM
DH had it BAD and he got relief from Aveeno Oatmeal baths. Burt's Bees also makes poison ivy soap, which probably won't help you now but is a good thing to have on hand if you catch the oil on your skin fast enough.

ohiomom
09-21-2004, 11:48 PM
The summer before I got pregnant I got a horrible case on both legs and arms. I keep trying to self treat, but it got worse and worse. One middle of the night I just couldn't take it anymore. Went to the ER and they gave me IV steroids and IV benadryl. The MD yelled at me saying that I was awfully close to cellulitis. Then when I was pregnant I merely picked up a few stones to hand to DH while he was rebuilding flower beds and I got it on my arms.. but not nearly as bad. I seem to be very sensitized now, which worries me since we live in the woods. ANYHOW, what I'm trying to say is, if it doesn't seem to get better or seems to keep spreading, consider seeing an MD. Cellulitis is nothing to laugh at.

I hope you are itch-free soon. Geez, I'm itchy just writing this!!! :(

Nicole's Mom 7/03