PDA

View Full Version : Need Philly Recommendations

zuzu
09-21-2004, 11:39 AM
We're hoping to head to Philly this weekend for a little getaway (provided DH is off his cane from late week's surgery and I can get all my work done--it has been a very rough week or so, which is why I haven't been around! :( )

Our hotel is near Logan Square, and I'd love some suggestions on kid-friendly places to eat (we love ethnic food) and things to do with a 16 month old. We've been told about the Please Touch Museum and some Trolley Works tour and will try to hit those. Any good gardens or parks? Is the zoo worth a visit? I know Sesame Place isn't too far, but I think we'll visit that next summer instead when Sarah is a little older. We'll have a car, but would prefer not to drive around too much, unless something is really worth the trip.

TIA for any suggestions/advice!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

momathome
09-21-2004, 12:07 PM
The Zoo is wonderful, particularly this time of year when it isnot too hot. They just redid the children's zoo and the primate house and the exhibits are wonderful for little ones. I am not that familiar with Logan Square so I can't help you there. The Please Touch Museum is fun, just eb aware that there is no place to buy food in there, just vending machines. Have a nice time!

MinnieMouse
09-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I used to live right near Logan Square and I go to school around the corner from there right now.

Please Touch is great but there aren't many eateries nearby (a pizza place or two). We are members and go there often but generally don't do a meal. There is a TGIFridays right next door to one of the Logan Square hotels (there are two) and a few more restaurants and bars as you meander down the Parkway towards City Hall but most aren't kid friendly.

Bethany has loved the Please Touch Museum. They have a barnyard exhibit for the really tiny ones which Beth still adores at 3yo and the Supermarket is always a hit. http://www.pleasetouchmuseum.org/

Logan Circle is smack in the center of the Parkway right in front of your hotel and has a HUGE fountain as well as lots of flowers. My sister who is a world traveler often tells me it's her favorite fountain, even better than the ones in Italy! There is also Rittenhouse Square between 18th and 19th and Walnut and Locust Streets. This is a great park and has an interesting cross section of people. A smaller park is Fitler Square at 23rd and Pine Streets. It's a bit of a hike from your hotel but it's a small, pretty park.

I've never been on a Trolley Tour but I see them all the time. Another popular but newer tour is the Duck Boat Tour(http://www.phillyducks.com/). I've actually wanted to do this but we haven't had a chance yet.

If you are into the historic thing (which I am so I always suggest it) there is Independence Hall and Park (cute park BEHIND the Hall) as well as the new Constitution Center which I haven't been able to get to yet. I know the Trolley Tour goes there.

The Franklin Institute is a great place but maybe not all that thrilling for a 1yo. They currently have a Titanic exhibit that is supposed to be cool. The Academy of Natural Sciences will be within a block from your hotel and has lots of dinosaurs, etc.... again not sure of the thrill factor for a young one.

We haven't been eating out much in Philly so I can't help much there. A great place to explore may be the Reading Terminal Market. Not too far of a walk for you at all. http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/ Lots of "restaurants" as well as other good yummy things to eat and buy.

This is the Philly Travel website http://www.gophila.com/index.htm it has some good links to more info. If you have any questions just give me a yell :-).

Christine

zuzu
09-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Lauren and Christine--thanks so much for the great ideas!

Looks like we may try to make it to the zoo afterall. I've been disappointed in ours (DC zoo) in recent years, so I look forward to visiting another.

The barnyard and supermarket exhibits sound right up Sarah's alley, so I think the Please Touch Museum will be a big hit. Thanks, Christine, for the info on all the great parks. We love to just walk around, and Sarah has been fascinated with water and flowers lately too, so I'm sure we'll make it to several. The Duck Boats are a great idea too. Hopefully we can hit some of the historical sites while she naps in her stroller.

We live only a few hours away and have never been, so this should be lots of fun. Next time we visit, I'd love to meet up with some of you.

Thanks again!

jbowman
09-22-2004, 11:43 AM
I second the suggestion of Reading Market! As far as ethnic, there is a good Malaysian restaurant called Penang (part of a small chain, so you may be familiar with it). It is located in Chinatown. Not sure how kid-friendly it is (we went pre-Ellie; perhaps consider going for lunch), but the food is yummy! Have fun!

Kieransmom
09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I don't have any new suggestions but hope you have a great time. Philly is a great place!

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

zuzu
09-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Sounds delicious! I think we have a Panang or two around here, but I haven't tried it yet. Thanks Jill! :)

Thanks Michelle--we're really looking forward to a weekend away, and are excited to finally be able to explore Philadelphia.

JLiebCamm
09-23-2004, 10:31 PM
My standard Philly tourguide itinerary (I used to go to school there and hosted a lot of friends who wanted to visit the city) includes the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall, Reading Terminal Market (try the subs at Salumeria-yum!), the "Rocky" steps at the art museum, Boathouse Row, the Italian Market, and "real" Philly Cheesesteaks at Pat's or Geno's (my favorite). Obviously not all of those activities would be great with a 16 month old, but you should pick a few. I wouldn't miss Reading Terminal Market or the Cheesesteaks (it's all about the food for me!). The Please Touch Museum is great! It's a little bit expensive, especially if you're paying for 2 adults plus a child, but it's really cool. I think that 16 months is a little young to enjoy some of the exhibits but I'm sure she'll still have fun. One additional thing that I would suggest is the Aquarium in Camden. You park down at the waterfront (Penn's Landing) in Center City Philly and take the ferry over; it's very convenient. We had my son there when he was 8 months old and he was mesmerized!

MinnieMouse
09-23-2004, 10:40 PM
I agree the Camden Aquarium is great... but it's closed for renovations through the Spring. It will reopen with a new name as well, "Adventure Aquarium."

The Camden Children's Garden will still be open though...which is a nice spot to explore as well.

Sorry :-(

Christine

zuzu
09-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Ahh, yes. The "Rocky" steps and cheesesteaks (I can't beleive I forgot about those)--that's why DH wanted to go Philly! ;) Seriously though, thanks for all the suggestions Jessica. We now have so many things we want to do, and I hope we can squeeze in half of them. I just remembered the Rodin Museum is there too . . .

We'll have to hit the aquarium next time around though--Sarah went last summer to the Baltimore one, and I know she would appreciate it much more now. She loves the lobster tank at Whole Foods and the fish tanks at the pet store, so those will have to tide her over until we can see the big fish.