PDA

View Full Version : Pelvic Exam at End of Pregnancy

cara1
09-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I just came from my 38-week check-up, and they didn't do an internal exam. Not that I mind, but I thought it was odd. I think this is when I had one with DS#1. The doctor said he could do one, but there was really no reason. He said even if I was dilated some, it wouldn't change anything. I know this is true, but I still thought it was strange. Anyone else not have an internal exam? Maybe next week... (oh goody...)

daisymommy
09-21-2004, 02:05 PM
I didn't have one until 40 weeks. I had my last appointment set 3 days before my due date. My Dr./midwife did the exam, and laughed, saying, "So are you in any pain?" When I said, "No, why?", he sad "Because you are 5-6 cm. dialated and fully efaced!" He then called the hospital and told them I would probably be there later that night once I started feeling contractions. Joshua wasn't born until 3 days later...right on his due date :)

Not all Dr.s' will do an internal exam at all though. It gives more chance for infection and accidently breaking your water before your body and baby are ready. It can also stimulate contractions before things are fully "cooked", and cause you pain for days before you finally go into real labor. So, that said, I have been told it's fully optional to do an internal exam before you go into labor.

amazz
09-21-2004, 02:07 PM
I know that I have one tomorrow and will every week until I deliver. Every pregnancy book that I've read (and there have been quite a few :) ) said that it is normal to have weekly pelvic exams after 36 wks. But as your dr. said, even if you are dilated, there isn't much he could do. I think my dr. just wants to know how much progress I am making. Sorry I'm not much help....maybe someone else here will have a better reply for you!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

KrisM
09-21-2004, 02:10 PM
My son was born 4 days after his due date and I never had an internal exam. I had an appointment for later that week, but still would not have had one. I was given an option, but since it doesn't change anything, I chose not to have one. In fact, once in the hospital, I had one when I was admitted, and then another 9 hours later, when a c-section was probable (if I had been 9 cm or so, I could have continued without surgery). That was it.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-21-2004, 03:05 PM
I did not have an internal exam at all. None were scheduled at any appointments. By the time I got to the hospital in labor, they couldn't do an internal exam if they wanted to as there was a baby head in the way!

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

Vajrastorm
09-21-2004, 03:11 PM
I didn't have one until I was in active labor. Much to my midwife's suprise I was 7 cm. I was acting too calm, apparently. :P (Thanks, hypnobirthing!)

steph2003
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I did not have any internal exams until I was in the hospital in labor & saying I felt pressure! They are completely optional but most women assume they need to be done & most docs do them. Like the pp said there is a slight risk of infection or breaking the waters. My doula also told me internal exams can play mind games with you just meaning that you get all hyped because you are 4cm (or whatever the case may be) but then baby doesn't arrive until 3 days later. Or vice versa you are not dilatated at all & then bam! 24 hours later baby arrives.

amp
09-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Happened to me too when I was at that stage. Wouldn't worry about it.

nohomama
09-21-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm another person who never had a pelvic exam with either pregnancy. One other interesting tidbit is that while laboing with Astrid, my midwife never checked me. When we were kind of debriefing after the birth she told me that she and other midwives she's worked with can tell about where a woman is in her labor just by watching and listening. Though this may seem strange to some, it was actually a relief. I never had to deal with any sort of disappointment that I wasn't progressing.

Rachels
09-21-2004, 05:06 PM
I never had one. There's no medical reason to do it, and especially if you're positive for GBS, it's prudent not to.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

cara1
09-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks all. Reassuring. Maybe they won't do one next week either!!

lizajane
09-21-2004, 08:59 PM
i was really glad that i did have the optional exam at 36 weeks because that is how i knew he was coming early. i was already effaced at 36 weeks, and started dialating by 37 or 38. schuyler was only 8 days early, but it really helped us to know that we should expect him before his due date and not after (like most first babies.) sounds stupid, but my dad had a really big deal work thing going on for 4 days. to be sure he and my mom could come down immediately (they are 3.5 hours away by car) he had to get a back up speaker for every event for which he was supposed to speak in those 4 days. good thing he did- he missed the final event, for which he was scheduled to do a lot of speaking. he didn't mind missing it at all, but he would have worried a lot if he hadn't gotten things set up before he left to come here.

sadie427
09-21-2004, 11:57 PM
I had one at 36 and one at 38 wks because my midwife offered to do them if I wanted, but next time I will skip them altogether. Her gut feeling (and mine) had been that he would be early, but at my 38 wk appt I was fingertip and 50% effaced and she said I'd probably go until at least my due date. Well, I went into labor that night and was complete and pushing by the next day at noon. A good example of it not meaning anything.

mharling
09-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Another good example of it not meaning anything.....

I was checked the day before my due date and my ob said my cervix was 'thick and hard'. Lane was born 2 days later.

I don't plan on getting checked at all this time around.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

jubilee
09-22-2004, 02:02 AM
Another good example of it not meaning anything.....

I was 3-4 cm dialated and had lost my plug on Dec. 15 (I remember because that's my birthday!) The doc said that I'd have the baby by the 18th, but Jacob wasn't born until Jan 3rd!! With Jacob I was given a pelvic every week after 35 weeks.

With Logan I had a pelvic about a week before he was born and it was 3 cm. When I went in for the induction, I was a 2! I went backwards! whatever...

JenaW
09-22-2004, 01:14 PM
I work in OB and unless my pts have any issues that might suggest preterm labor or other complications, I usually give them the choice. However, my OB has been doing them weekly since 32 weeks because I have been contracting. (I am 37w today, and will most likley get another one this afternoon). They don't bother me at all, but I could definitely live without them.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Cautiously pregnant with #2 ~ EDD 10.13.04

mudder17
09-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Wow, October 13 is right around the corner! I hope things are better! Sending good vibes your way! {{{Hugs}}}}

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

jstevens
09-23-2004, 10:10 PM
My dr was not planning to do an internal exam on me at 37 weeks until I asked him to do one. I told him I had a little bit of fluid leakage but only a tiny tiny bit. It's a good thing he checked. He said I was 2 cm dilated and would deliver within the week. I wound up delivering the next day. My advice to you is if you have any concerns, do not hesitate to ask them to do one.