PDA

View Full Version : Another tipping question

KrisM
09-22-2004, 08:53 AM
We occassionally use the take-out services at places like Ruby Tuesday or Applebee's. We phone in the order, drive up to the place, and just sit in the car while someone brings out the order. Do you tip this person?

The first time I used it, I didn't tip. The second time, I had to go inside the restaurant to order because we didn't have a menu, and I felt like I should tip.

What do you think?

lisaE
09-22-2004, 11:06 AM
I actually asked the girl at Outback if folks usually tip. She said yes. (Well, now that I think about it, OF COURSE she said yes!)

Anyway I usually tip a few bucks.

billysmommy
09-22-2004, 11:25 AM
We've ordered a couple of times from Chili's near us. They don't bring it out to your car, you have to go inside to pick it up. I was going to tip them but when I went in, I had to stand there for about 10 minutes while the hostess and the guy manning the counter for take-out orders finished talking about their plans for that night. I said excuse me a couple times and he looked right at me and said "I'll be with you in a few minutes" meanwhile I had a sleepy baby with me and I could see our meal sitting right behind him. So needless to say I didn't tip him. The other 2 times I have ordered take-out, the same guy has been behind the counter and I have not tipped him. I think I probably would tip if someone else is there but he just really bothered me.

ETA: So I guess my answer would be, it depends on the service :)

babymama
09-22-2004, 11:28 AM
I don't tip for a service like this.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png

kelly ann
09-22-2004, 11:31 AM
I wondered this last time I picked up at Ruby Tuesdays. We didn't tip and even though I felt bad, I still don't think I should have to. I remember in college, our local frozen yogurt place had a tip jar on the counter...why? The yogurt place was in a food court with Burger King. Of course BK didn't have a tip jar on the counter so why do the yogurt servers deserve a tip more than the BK workers???

Sorry to ramble off on this topic - I am a generous tipper usually, but I sometimes think tipping in this country is getting out of control.

lizajane
09-22-2004, 11:34 AM
i worked at a restaurant that had take out. a tip is NOT required for take out, as no one provided you a service. the bartender does ring up the order- but it isn't such a big deal. so people who didn't tip were thought of as normal, but people who did leave a buck or two were thought of as COOL.

ett
09-22-2004, 01:56 PM
We usually don't tip if we go pick up the order. If they bring out the order to me in the car, I would probably tip them a dollar or two. Going inside a restaurant to pick up your take out food is about the same as going to say MacDonalds and getting food. The service they provide is about the same. So if I don't tip at MacDonald's, I'm not going to tip at a restaurant where I'll be picking up food.

ITA with a pp who said that it seems we have to tip everywhere these days. More and more tip cups are showing up at places. The most recent one was a tip cup at a local Dunkin Donuts.

kransden
09-22-2004, 02:04 PM
I use the Applebees curbside service a lot now. I think it's great! If I go inside a restaurant for a pickup I normally don't tip. I am doing all the work afterall. If the curbside servers are prompt and together I normally give them a buck or two depending on their attitude. It is really easy money for them.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Mommy_Again
09-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I never tip for take out. There is no service being provided and their profit is actually greater since they dont spend time waiting on me and I am not taking up a table.

For seated meals, I always tip at least 20%! So I guess I am on both ends of the spectrum.

abigailsmom
09-23-2004, 12:04 AM
At the risk of being unpopular... I started in the restaurant business as a to-go girl for Carrabba's Italian Grill (under Outbacks corporate umbrella) and I have a different view. I was paid minimum wage and then I kept my tips. I barely made enough money to may my rent.

That being said, I tip b/c it actually does take quite a bit of running around and dealing directly with the kitchen staff. NOT very fun. They may not be waiting on you at the table, but if they are curteous and prompt or at least let you know why things are taking a while then I show my appreciation by tipping 15%.

Just my .02. Please don't flame me for this. i just vividly remember what it was like.

Melanie
09-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I feel like such a heel...I never even thought of tipping for curbside. Maybe next time I'll give a dollar. I can't see them earning the same as someone who waits on me and cleans up after me, though.