PDA

View Full Version : Announcements -- email vs. traditional?

KBecks
09-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I know that we will be doing traditional announcements for family and people we are close to.

We also will do a fairly large group email with photos probably shortly after DS's birth, to let everyone know about the big event.

Is it redundant or overkill to do both? I'm planning to do a photo announcement that will be a nice keepsake for the baby and family.

Thanks,
KBecks

Marisa6826
09-24-2004, 07:44 PM
We did both. Jonathan created a website for Sophie and emailed the link to everybody (we called the "A" list of immediate family/friends as well from the hospital) and then a few weeks later we sent official announcements.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that a lot of older family members simply aren't computer savvy and won't have any access to an email announcement. At least that was the case with a lot of our family/friends we felt we wanted to include in the news of Sophie's arrival.

We will probably do the same thing again with Amelia's birth.

-m

LucyG
09-24-2004, 08:40 PM
We also did a group email with a few digital pictures a couple of days after DD was born, and then sent traditional snail mail announcements a week or so later. Most people got both, the exception being people who do not have email. We included a snapshot of her in the announcements that we mailed, just because we are the type of people who like to put pics up on our refrig., and we thought our friends and family might be inclined to do the same!

I don't think it's overkill to do both. We still send out digital pictures semi-regularly to friends and family, but also have a "short list" (grandparents, aunts, uncles, good friends, etc.) who get pictures on at least a twice-monthly basis. Basically, if we feel there's a chance we might bore someone, we leave them off the "short list" for pictures!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

houseof3boys
09-24-2004, 10:53 PM
I think it's fine to do both! Everyone loves the instant gratification of seeing the pics and info as soon as possible. The photo keepsake is just that....a keepsake. :)

babymama
09-24-2004, 10:55 PM
We did an announcement by email. It was more of a letter from DS to his friends and family to introduce himself, to tell a little about our birth story, and such...

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03
http://lilypie.com/baby1/041116/0/6/1/-6/.png

JacksMommy
09-25-2004, 12:06 AM
We did both and it's not overkill IMO for the reasons PPs have stated. Also it's nice to have a keepsake for your baby book or memory box. The one thing I would advise is to make sure that all the key people in your lives have been called by phone before you send out the e-mail. A lot of people feel hurt when they hear this kind of announcement via a mass e-mail...

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02

shartemink
09-25-2004, 11:44 AM
We did both and I didn't think it was overkill. The email with pics was sent out the same day DS was born. The actual announcements didn't go out until he was about 2 months old b/c I didn't know if we were having a boy or girl so we did all the ordering/design/photos after he was born & I had recovered a little. As the PP mentioned, we had a lot of older family/friends on the list w/o email so they loved the "real" announcements.

Sam
Mommy to Matthew
3/10/2004

Melanie
09-26-2004, 03:53 AM
We did both. Several people were hanging on waiting to hear, so I would not make them wait until official announcements nor want to make all those phone calls.

So we sent out an email with photo, changed the message on our answering machine and mailed out official ones eventually (they were photo and so it took a while longer for us to feel good enough to try some photos, get the developed, ordered, etc. I think it was about 6 weeks).

I don't think it's overkill, it's a new baby, who doesn't want to know!?