PDA

View Full Version : Reflux Mommies - Question for You

Marisa6826
09-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Do your kiddos still occasionally throw up? Sophie's been off any meds (Zantac) for the better part of a year and then some, but occasionally she still throws up. I've noticed that this happens if she's particularly active, or if she's coming down the stairs on her belly. She doesn't cry out from it, so I don't think she's in pain at all. It's just messy.

Jonathan said she did it twice yesterday.

Is this just a random toddler thing? I thought that maybe it was when she has her fingers in her mouth (those damn 2y molars!), but that's not always the case.

Just wondering.

-m

Rachels
09-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Abigail was never a spit-uppy kid, but she occasionally does have bouts of reflux again. She has been off meds forever, but her doctor just put her back on Nexium this week for a trial. It's hard to tell what's going on, but she has a lot of random complaints and isn't eating well, and she is teething. Given all of that, her ped thought it was worth trying this again to see if it helps calm things down for her. This is the second time since she really stopped taking daily meds that we've decided to do another brief course of treatment.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Marisa6826
09-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Rachel-

Sophie also hasn't been eating well. We've attributed it to teething. In fact we ask her at night if her mouth hurts. If she puts her hand up to her jaw, we give her Motrin.

I do sometimes hear Sophie starting to urp up whatever she's eaten, but she can usually catch it and I hear her swallow again (sorry if TMI).

I'm wondering if it's the reflux all over again. There's no WAY I will be able to force that nasty Zantac down now that she's big enough to refuse it.

*sigh*

One more thing to worry about...

-m

daisymommy
09-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Yep. Joshua was on Zantac for almost his first full year of life to treat reflux. Then the reflux stopped and we stopped the meds. He's been fine from age 1-2.

But now that he is getting his 2 year old molars, he has staretd refluxing again. Food is getting spit up, (ot goes back down adn josh says "yucky!") he pats his throat and says "oww, oww." It doesn't happen all the time, so we aren't going to go with meds. again. The GI doctor told us that teething always makes reflux worse, and can bring it back in older babies, but it will usually go away once the teeth pop through. Also, if he bend over the edge of the couch, chair, stairs, etc. he refluxes then too.

Josh is drinking an entire cow everyday, so I can tell it's bothering him. But no, I don't think I could force the Zantac on him at this age. But if it gets any worse we may have to do Zantac mixed with milk to prevent esophogeal ulcers. Ugh. Poor baby!