PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Bare Minerals makeup?

leanng
09-25-2004, 08:17 PM
I have been fairly happy with my Laura Mercier foundation but saw the infomercial for Bare Minerals foundation and was wondering if it was worth trying the stuff. I like the idea of coverage with no additives and a very natural feel. If anyone uses it, have you been happy with it? Does it last? Thanks in advance,
LeAnn
Mom to Alex 11/12/02

Calmegja2
09-25-2004, 09:00 PM
The coverage is great (helps with my freckles), but if you tend towards dry skin, it completely dries it out even more. It hurt to smile at one point, no matter how much moisturizer I put on. I am going through a really dry skin phase right now, so it's been put away for now (and I've found other women with the same complaint).

But it looks amazing on, and it feels great going on, and the coverage is topnotch (it made freckles disappear, and you wouldn't have known I had makeup on).

But the eyeshadows....they are incredible, and I use them whenever I have occasion to wear eyeshadow. The way they look is....it's like you've had a makeup artist come and make your eyes pop.

Sigh. I need to go out more, so I can wear them more. I reaaaalllllyyyyy like them.

pritchettzoo
09-26-2004, 12:20 AM
I think Ulta stocks it now. I haven't used it (seen the same infomercial though!), but at least you could save on shipping and maybe use the $5 off coupon in the Sunday paper.

Anna

leanng
09-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Anna
I'm still boycotting that evil store...remember? :)

nupe
09-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I like the bare escentuals, not sure if it is the same thing you are talking about. I only wore powder before and had makeup for special events only. This BE powder is as easy as powder but with greater coverage. I haven't found it to be drying--but then I haven't used it with indoor heating much. In fact I stopped using my moisturizer underneath since the combo was too creamy, and the BE has spf.

I found I was between two colors, so i buy two colors and mix them in a small rubbermaid container. Makes it easier to travel with too, and not spill too much each time the container is opened--which is my main problem with it. I bought some at Ulta, but then got a better sense of color choices whne I went to the BE store in the bay area. Watch out for ebay--i have often seen small sizes sold for the same or higher price as a full size from the BE store (check the oz.).

hwin708
09-27-2004, 05:09 AM
If you plan on ordering this product, I like www.medi-spastore.com
They have free shipping and 25% off Bare Minerals orders with the code BEBARE, which makes them a very good deal.
As for the makeup, it does work well. The foundation and shading can be a bit tricky at first to master. It's not really my favorite, though, but that is mainly because I am so pale, and it focuses so much on bronzers. There are many other lines of mineral makeup, some of which work better for the very pale. This is also true of different skin types, like dry or oily. There are many websites out there devoted to people analyzing the different types of mineral makeup. I would really only look into them, though, if you are a makeup junkie (like me!) or have very special needs skin. Otherwise, Bare Minerals is the way to go, as it is easily the most popular.
Ultimately, I usually end up back at MAC for foudation as it works well and is very easy. Bare Minerals did give something of a more natural finish, though.
I still use their eyeshadows, however. Absolutely wonderful consistency. LOVE them!
HTH!

JMS
09-27-2004, 11:09 AM
Mineral based makeup is actually calming to my skin and I've seemed to have a lot less breakouts since I've started using it. I actually use Jane Iredale which is very similiar but slightly more high-end. You can find it at Spas and some Derm's offices. I think there is a retailer locator on their website.
I use the Iredale pressed powder (and believe me I am a recovering makeup-aholic) exclusively now and what I like the most is that you can layer your coverage depending on how much you want/need.
HTH!