PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Mold! How do I get rid of it?

Marisa6826
09-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Last Sunday when we went to the arts and crafts fair, we brought our digital camera which has its own little case. Well, we have this little Maclaren tote thingy that velcros to the stroller handles. The camera was in that. Unfortunately, so was a leaking bottle of Sophie's diluted apple juice. Being that I didn't drive for a full week, I didn't realise all of this was cooking in the backseat for six days.

Last night I realised that the bottle leaked all over the camera case, dipes and the Maclaren thingy. There is mold all over the camera case and the stroller bag. The case is kind of padded nylon and the stroller thing is neoprene and mesh.

How do I get rid of the mold? I was going to wash it on gentle and air dry it, but I'm kind of worried that the mold won't go away. FWIW, I have a front loader and have absolutely NO clue how to put Oxyclean powder in since you have to change the little cup for powder (we use liquid Tide HE).

Thanks!

-m

toomanystrollers
09-26-2004, 05:31 PM
If you have a tupperware kind of bowl w/a lid - try soaking it overnight with an oxyclean mix. Give the bowl of couple of shakes during the soak. Then wash it on gentle.

HTH

Marisa6826
09-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Pam. I could probably get the camera holder into a container, but the stroller tote is HUGE.

I'm wondering if throwing some vinegar in the wash might help...

-m

Thatchermom
09-27-2004, 03:08 AM
Do you have ANY container big enough? I use things like a roasting pan or 5 gallon bucket when I have lots of things to soak. Depending on the stain, you can leave it longer in the solution, too - I learned by experimentation. My sister from dry SoCal left some wet clothes in my garage laundry area for a few days this summer, where it is humid all the time, and they mildewed. Of course, it was DS's favorite shirt...I soaked them in a stronger-than-recommended solution of Oxyclean and Zout, starting with REALLY hot water, for about 5 days in the end. Started as overnight, but they hadn't budged, so I kept trying. Figured they were ruined already, what could I hurt? Amazingly, after adding water and "stirring" them up for those days, the stains faded and he has his bug shirt again.

jubilee
09-27-2004, 04:21 AM
or just presoak it in the bathroom sink

toomanystrollers
09-27-2004, 08:04 AM
BATHTUB :) I use it to soak stroller seats, etc.