PDA

View Full Version : A Surprise Shower - Wonderful, but YIKES, need HELP!!

almostamom
09-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Our neighbors invited us and most of our block over for a casual dinner last night. No big deal, we do that once in a while. Imagine our shock when we walked in and everyone yelled, "SURPRISE!" Our sly little friends had tricked us into a surprise baby shower in our honor. It was wonderful, thoughtful, generous, and completely overwhelming :).

Now, here's my dilemna....

My best friend is throwing a baby shower for me in a few weeks. I had planned on inviting most of the neighbors to that (the four that we are closest to). I do not want or expect any of these neighbors to purchase yet another gift for us when they've already been so incredibly generous. But.... the shower is being held at our home, so the neighbors will know it's going on. Do I still invite them? Do I also invite the other three neighbors who were at last night's shower (but weren't originally on the list)? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by leaving them out, but I don't want anyone to have to buy a gift either. Unfortunately, it's not possible to change the location :( I'm stressing out about this because I want to do the right thing, but I'm not sure what the right thing is! Please help, WWYD?????

TIA for the advice

~Linda~
http://lilypie.com/days/041117/0/0/1/-7/.png

cuca_
09-26-2004, 07:02 PM
I would invite all your neighbors that were at your surprise shower, only because it is at your home and they will probably find out about it. I would specifically tell them that while you would love for them to join in the celebrations, you do not want them to give you any gifts, as they have already been generous enough.

I don't know if this would work or not, but while I would feel bad for making them feel like they needed to buy more gifts, I would feel even worse about not including them.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003

amazz
09-26-2004, 07:07 PM
I would still invite all the people you were originally going to invite and the others who will know what's going on, but maybe tell your best friend to put a special note on their invitations about how you would really love for them to attend and celebrate with you, but don't want them to get you a gift. (Not really sure how to word that without sound tacky.) Or maybe you or your best friend could just call the neighbors a few days after the invitations go out and explain that you want them to come but don't want them to feel obligated to bring gifts.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

ethansmom
09-26-2004, 10:13 PM
I would invite them (all), but give them a call before they receive the invite, to express what you said in your post. Tell them you had planned to have them at your shower, and were blown away w/their kindness re: the surprise shower. You would still love their company at the shower but don't want them to feel the need to bring a gift....you just want them to be a part of this special day.