PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep. Worried about DS's blood test tomorrow (today)....

tippy
09-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Last week from Wed to Friday morning ds was running a fever which was spiking pretty high at night (103.6). He had no appetite and would take a bite of food and push whatever I was trying to feed him away. He also wasn't sleeping well and kept crying out for me throughout the night. I ended up bringing him into bed with me and he calmed down after nursing. I took him to the Dr. on Friday since the fever wasnt going away. She checked his throat and it was slightly red so she did a rapid strep test and decided to do a blood test just to be on the safe side. His strep test came out negative but his blood test was irregular. His white counts were high (which was to be expected due to the fever). She didn't seem concerned about this. The thing she was concerned about was his Hemoglobin levels. The normal range is 11.0-18.0 and he tested at 9.6. She also said the size of the cells were abnormal and they were smaller than they should be. I asked her what this meant and she just said that I should get some Poly-Vi-Sol with iron and some Fer-In-Sol (another iron supplement)and give them to him daily over the weekend and to brind ds back on Monday to have another blood test to see if his levels come up. If not they will do more bloodwork. I am hoping that his counts were low from the "virus" he supposedly had or that he is anemic which I can treat with supplements and diet. I don't even want to think about what the alternatives are. I have been ok most of the weekend but now that we are going to the Dr. in the morning I am getting a little freaked out. I can't sleep so I figured I'd share what was going on. Please keep AJ in your prayers today. I will keep you posted.

cuca_
09-27-2004, 04:40 AM
Hope the blood test today turns out ok. I will be thinking of both of you. I can imagine how nerve wrecking this must be for you.

Carmen
DD May 2003

new_mommy25
09-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Yikes, that is scary. I hate it when things like that happen because you try so hard to protect your children and when it comes to these situations it is completly out of your hands. Please let us know the results. I'll be thinking of AJ.

ismommy
09-27-2004, 07:16 AM
I will be sending good thought to you an AJ. PLease keep us posted.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

toomanystrollers
09-27-2004, 08:00 AM
We'll be thinking of you and AJ - keeping everything crossed for you!!

californiamom
09-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Oh, I am so sorry you're going through this... I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Ana

barbarhow
09-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Teva-thinking of you and AJ today. I hope he is feeling better and that your tests today are all fine. Hang in there.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

MartiesMom2B
09-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Oh Teva, big hugs to you and AJ. I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. I hope it is something that a little bit of iron will fix. Please let us know how it goes.

-Sonia

jk3
09-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Teva,

Thinking about AJ + you. Hope the test goes well and that AJ is feeling much better.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

jbowman
09-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Teva,

I really hope that AJ is ok. My thoughts are with you!

Kate888
09-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Teva, we'll be thinking of AJ and you today. Hope everything is ok and the fever will subside soon. {{{{Hugs to both of you}}}}

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02 and Polo (my big black dog)http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/ptrose.gif

hez
09-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Thinking about you, and saying a prayer that the test results are OK today.

steph2003
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Hugs to you & your little guy

slknight
09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Hope it goes well today. Please post an update when you can. You're in our thoughts and prayers. I've got an AJ too (Alexander James).

smomom
09-27-2004, 12:27 PM
We're thinking of you. Please keep us posted.

babymama
09-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Teva -
Santiago and I are sending you and AJ big, big hugs.

Hope everything is fine with your little AJ!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

amazz
09-27-2004, 01:44 PM
((((Teva and AJ)))) I hope everything turns out just fine today!! I'll be praying for you!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

deborah_r
09-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Teva,

I'm thinking of you and AJ today, and I hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about!!!

jubilee
09-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Hugs to you and AJ! Hope for a good update soon!

Momof3Labs
09-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Hope that all turns out fine, Teva. Keep us posted.

khakismom
09-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Big hugs and lots of prayers for you and AJ today! Keep us posted.

starrynight
09-27-2004, 06:27 PM
I read somewhere that the body "hides" iron when you are sick to keep the virus from thriving on it or something like that. I hope he is fine and that it is just from being sick, he is low but not dangerously so the virus therory makes sense. I hope he is fine!! hugs and good thoughts sent your way!

mudder17
09-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Oh, Teva, just read about it now. I hope the tests came out okay today. Please keep us posted. Hugs and prayers to you both!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

lmintzer
09-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Goodness, Teva, how scary! I hope everything turns out okay with your little one. Thinking of you at this tough time!

tippy
09-27-2004, 11:25 PM
First off, I just wanted to say that I am once again blown away by this community. Thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers and good wishes. It means more than you can know.

I wish I had something definitive to post but unfortunately I won't until Thursday or Friday. When we went back to the docs today they did another toe prick. Dr said his hemo count was up but still below normal so she wanted to do a venapuncture ;( . My poor little man had a rough time with it. I had to hold him down and it took everything I had inside not to cry right along with him. I sang to him and he calmed down a little bit but it was really harrowing. I couldn't help but think of Jen and Samuel and for the life of me I don't know how they have been able to get through all they have. I mean one blood test was an ordeal YKWIM. The one good thing is that the Dr. was the one who stuck him and she did a great job. She couldn't find a good vein in his arm so they used the back of his hand instead. She got it on the first try. I was relieved about that.

I questioned why she was doing the additional testing since his counts were up some and she said it takes 6 weeks before they can see definitive test results on iron from using supplements. She indicated it was more of a precaution. I asked what she was testing for (she wasn't saying) and she said 3 things. 1)Epstein Barr Virus (apparently it can affect hemo levels), 2)another blood count and 3)to see whether or not his body was producing red blood cells "normally". I also asked what the size of the cells being smaller than they should indicated and she said iron deficiency. AJ hasn't had a fever since last Friday morning and his appetite is back. He appears to be back to his old self. I am hoping he just has a case of anemia and that it can be treated with diet and supplements. I will post as soon as I know the final results. Sorry it took so long to update you all but I can't turn my computer on when ds is up or he shuts off the modem! I guess he can’t resist a green light AND a button to push.

mamahill
09-28-2004, 12:01 AM
How stressful for you - hugs to you and AJ. And feel free to cry right along with him - I cried with Ainsleigh a couple times (and then so did the nurse!), and it helped alleviate some of the stress - when you can't do anything else - cry!

Best wishes for good news at the end of the week.

tina-t
09-28-2004, 12:24 AM
I just saw the post and your update. I hope that things turn out well and that this is just iron deficiency anemia and nothing else serious.

jec2
09-28-2004, 12:29 AM
teva, I'm just now getting a chance to read this. {{hugs}}. Sorry that you both had a bit of a rough day :( and that you had worries this weekend. I hope the little guy is on the mend and that the only concern is that he needs to take some iron supplements. Keep us updated.

tippy
09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks! I really almost did but then I thought...this isn't going to help him feel any better. I figured he would just get more upset if I was upset kwim? He used to be ok at the doctors but recently he cries as soon as one of them walks into the examining room. Forget about if they have to look into his ears, throat, nose, listen to his heart.....! But for the stuff that really HURTS, I am supposed to protect him not hold him down!

tippy
09-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Mine is Anthony Joseph (the 3rd!). I love Alexander. I actually wanted to name AJ Christopher (our last name is Ingrassia) but my husband was hell bent on a third.

kitmama
09-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Just saw this! Wow, I'm so sorry you and AJ have had to go through this. . . NO FUN to say the least!! If it makes you feel any better, my Simon also had a high fever and little appetite, and was not sleeping well from Thursday night through all of Friday night. It wasn't worrisome until Friday (of COURSE they are sick right before a weekend, right?) and poor little guy was burning up Fri night. The fever broke by Saturday morning, though, and his appetite is back and he seems to be feeling fine. I nursed a lot, and I think that helped. He has a rash now (which I think is related), but I've been on the phone with the ped a few times throughout this and she thinks everything is fine now. She just wants me to keep him really well hydrated, watch him carefully and make sure he is eating and sleeping OK.

So maybe this is just smething going around, and AJ had it too! And hopefully our ped is right and there is nothing to worry about. It does sound like your ped is just being extra cautious- which is a GOOD thing, don't you think? Even if it can be nerve wracking! We'll be thinking of you!

bluej
09-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Oh what a rough day. I can't imagine. Good for you for being a strong mommy and keeping it all together for your little boy. I hope the results all turn out normal and that the iron supplements take care of any deficiencies there were.

Rachels
09-28-2004, 08:52 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I've said those exact words. The thing to remember, though, is that you ARE protecting him. It's important to find out what's up so that you can treat it. You're doing the right thing. But I agree with Sarah-- if you need to cry, cry!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

barbarhow
09-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Teva-glad that AJ is feeling better. I've had to hold Jack for several blood draws and an IV. It is so heartbreaking. Your doctor sounds like she is thorough and cautious, that to me would be somewhat reassuring. And nothing wrong with a good cry. It is actually good for you-it releases endorphins which are "natures morphine". That's why people say "I had a good cry and I felt so much better." Try it in the shower-AJ won't see you then and won't notice if you eyes are a little red when you get out. Take care.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

zuzu
09-28-2004, 02:27 PM
What a rough week for you guys! I hope AJ stays well and that it is/was nothing more than anemia. So glad to read he's feeling better.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

suribear
09-28-2004, 04:42 PM
I hope it's all for nothing - I'm sure they're just being cautious, which is their job. HUGS

Kris

tippy
09-29-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks again for all the moral support. I cried my eyes out on my girlfriend’s shoulder last Wed after the initial testing and Mon night telling DH about it. I didn't want to loose it in front of AJ WHILE he was crying and upset. I thought it might make him more agitated. I think by staying calm and singing to him and talking in a reassuring voice (even though I was dying inside), it helped him to calm down a bit toward the end of the procedure. I can assure you had dh been with me he would have been the one holding AJ down while I was in the hall collapsing in a heap and bawling my brains out. I'm interested to know how others feel about this. I don't have a problem crying in front of DS I just thought in that situation it would be better for him if I stayed calm. Hugs back to you all.

annex
09-29-2004, 10:30 AM
I did a lot of reading on anemia when my DD's blood tests at 12 months showed a level almost exactly what AJ has. My doctor knew enough about her diet (almost exclusively breastmilk) to know that the odds were very high that it was just iron deficiency. Yes, the bloodwork write-up is scary since it mentions shrunked, deformed red blood cells. But that is perfectly normal for iron deficiency anemia.

We certainly didn't come back in just a few days for a follow-up test! I can't see how that's enough time to bring him fully back to normal. I remember reading literature that said to re-test in one week or one month. (My laid-back ped actually just waited 3 months for her next well-baby visit.) I think your ped is just being very very anal because of the recent illness, and the fact that AJ seems to be over whatever he had is an extremely positive sign that it is just run-of-the-mill anemia.

HTH,
Anne

(ETA: My DD also had the same high fever for just a few days earlier this month. I think it's just something that's going around. She recovered her temp and appetite quickly, and is back to normal now.)

tippy
09-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Anne,

Thank you so much for your post. It made me feel a bit more optimistic. I still can’t wait for that phone call though! The strange thing is ds was exclusively breast fed for 6 mos. His numbers in the past were normal and he has a pretty good diet now. I guess I need to figure out how much iron is in his daily diet and be more aware of what the daily requirement is. AJ is having a rough night tonight. He's already been up three times since I put him down at 7 and sounds like he is getting congested and coughing a bit. It could be postnasal drip from his bottom 2 year molars coming in. His top cut sometime in the last week and he's been teething pretty fiercely on and off for the last 3 mo with these bad boys. I really hope he's not getting sick AGAIN. I want his little body to have a chance to get back to normal. I'll let you know what the doc says as soon as she calls

pixelprincess
09-30-2004, 03:28 AM
teva, hope AJ is even better today! poor little guy. i hate the blood draws on me or the baby. i insisted that dh be there with me.

hope to hear a clean bill of health update.