PDA

View Full Version : What funny quirk does your child have?

Dcclerk
09-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Besides calling himself "Bubba", my son has a total hat thing. He has adorable blond curls, but most people will never know because he must ALWAYS have a hat on. He wears them at all times, even in bed. When he wakes up, if the hat has fallen off, he puts it on, even before calling for mama to get him up. When we go shopping, he goes straight for the hats. Girls' hats, boys' hats, it doesn't matter. He just needs a hat. (Although baseball hats are a DISTANT second to bucket hats. Come to think of it, most girls' hats beat baseball hats, too. :) ) He has a favorite hat that luckily is denim and goes with about everything, because he wears that one about 75% of the time. He loves bath time but it is always a dilemna for him because mama won't let him wear a hat in the bath. Sometimes he foregoes a bath so he can keep the hat on!

Anyone else have a child with a quirk or two you are willing to share?

slknight
09-27-2004, 01:47 PM
That's a cute story about the hats. DS doesn't really like hats, although he likes to play with DH's baseball hats.

DS is a little quirky about ceiling fans though. We've got one in our kitchen and it's always on. We turned it off by accident last week and DS noticed and just kept pointing to it and making noise (I really need to figure out the sign for ceiling fan). Anyway, yesterday I took him to the local corner store to get the Sunday paper. I put him down and he kept pointing and grunting. The guy behind the counter said he thought he might want one of the big lolipops that was nearby. Since DS wouldn't recognize a lollipop if it hit him over the head, I didn't think that was it. I looked around and looked up and realize their ceiling fan was off. I said to DS, "Oh, you wish the fan was on," and he just lit up. :-) I wasn't going to make them turn theirs on, so I told him we'd have to go home and look at our fan, and he was happy.

MelissaTC
09-27-2004, 01:59 PM
He has to have like 10 stuffed animals, some books and at least 3 blankets in his bed with him. Oh, and he sleeps in a toddler bed! I swear there is no room in the bed for HIM! The cute thing is he sleeps with Otis, my Pound Puppy. :)

deborah_r
09-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Kerry,

You must post pics of little C in his hats!!! And maybe one without so we can see those blond curls!!!

Latest quirk here is lights. He points to lights all the time.

My favorite quirk is his tendency to break into a dance at any given moment. People stop to laugh and are so entertained when we are someplace that has a lot of room for walking, because he walks a ways, then breaks into a little jig, then walks some more, and another jig! I thought about putting a hat down to collect money, maybe training him to dance when we play music (kidding, of course) He often does his little dance when I am trying to get him to go in a different direction and he wants to ignore me or maybe he's trying to distract me so I will let him go wherever he wants!

deborah_r
09-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Wait, I just noticed...uhhh, did I miss an announcement, Kerry, or is my memory worse than I thought? You have another little one on the way??? Congratulations!!!

alkagift
09-27-2004, 04:08 PM
My son MUST CLOSE ALL DOORS. He is very aggravated if I open one and just leave it that way. It's as though now that he's tall enough to reach the doorknob and shut the doors, he must experience them all!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

octmom
09-27-2004, 05:39 PM
The hat thing is great!

My DS has his tongue out probably 90% of the time and has since day one. He does it when he's happy and without fail when he's trying to impress us with his super powers of concentration. It's very Michael Jordan-esque. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

babymama
09-27-2004, 06:16 PM
When my son is sleepy and I give him his bottle, he closes his eyes and starts scratching his forehead. He scratches and scratches over and over again, and as he relaxes, the scratching turns into a light massage. It's very funny and I have no idea where he got it.

Also when I put him in his jumperoo, he likes to tuck his arms in close to his chest in the little round open part and sit back...like he's just chillin'

Katie - have your tried those Sassy bath visors? THey would be perfect for your son who likes hats. He can wear a hat at bathtime!

EDIT: Thought of another one...DS loves pens, but not just to hold them. He waves them around in the air like he's conducting an orchestra. It's the exact same wrist action as an orchestra conductor.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

starrynight
09-27-2004, 06:38 PM
My 2.5 year old has a thing for bags, purses, backpacks, she wants them all the time and she carries them around sticking her little "treasures" in them. LOL She also loves baseball caps and hats especially ones that are too big on her, preferably her daddy's or brother's hats. Her other little quirk is the word "so" everything is "so yucky" or "so pretty" it's really funny!

ETA: My baby has to carry something in her hand when she crawls up the stairs, every single time. Usually a very small toy but sometimes someone's shoe! E loves carrying around the lion from the little people zoo but only the lion LOL.

mom2kandj
09-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Congrats Kerry and good job to Deborah for catching it! Mr C is going to be one great big brother! :)

ETA:
DS's biggest quirk is his obsession with his Mighty Ducks jersey! Yes, he wears it all the time and sometimes over pajamas to bed! He wears it in 100+ degree weather or he has a meltdown! Thank goodness it is getting a teeny bit cooler!

I must have over 100 pictures of him in that shirt!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

Dcclerk
09-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks for playing, everyone! I love to hear about other kids' quirks. I think it is such a fun aspect to our little ones' personalities. One other "story" about "Bubba's" hat thing, is that he really does think of them like others view their blankies. The other day he heard a neighbor child cry. He was very concerned that Lilly was crying and wanted her to feel better. He kept frantically pointing at the door and signing "hat" over and over again. Finally, I asked him if he wanted me to call Lilly's mom and tell her to get a hat, and he yelled "YEAH!". Once I called to tell her, he honestly seemed relieved, since he knew that if she had a hat, everything was going to be OK :)

And, yes, Deborah. Good catch. I didn't want to make a big announcement. But did want to ask some pregnancy-related questions sometime soon, so just figured I would ease it in there :) Thanks for the well wishes.

mharling
09-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Congrats Kerry!!! How exciting. :)

One of Lane's quirks is that he has to close any doors that are open. If we are expecting company, I try to keep the front door open, but it's pointless.

"Bubba's" hat stories are hysterical!!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

hez
09-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! Hope things go very smoothly for you!

I ran out of time yesterday so didn't post my DS's quirk: He's turning into a puppy! He will grab hold of his sippy cup (the take-n-toss little learners, very light-weight) with his teeth and carry it around no-handed. He'll carry his rubber ducky around by the bill the same way. Very entertaining for company :)

lmariana
09-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Gabe is incredibly quircky, and I love it! He always makes me smile.

He will not fall asleep (for nap or bedtime) unless there is a book in his crib. Whenever he wakes up, he'll spend 30-45 minutes "reading" it outloud to himself. It's the sweetest thing! He loves books!

Shoes. If there's a shoe on the floor, he tries to put it on. He'll crawl all around the house to find a shoe and then sticks it on his foot and claps!

He's learning to walk now, and has taken some spectacular falls. Every time he takes a bad one, I try not to overreact, but I guess I gasp and clap my hand over my mouth...because now, when Gabe falls, he'll do the same thing!

I wish Gabe loved hats as much as "Bubba"! That's so amazingly adorable!!!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Saartje
10-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Ishie adores coffee! He's not even had anything but breast milk in his life so far (and won't for another month), but he wants his daddy's coffee. Badly. Not interested in other foods, and doesn't even care about tea, but when he smells that coffee, he's after it: reaching for the cup, grabbing DH's arm, crawling across the room, lunging across people's laps, and "talking" about it.

Earlier today, he managed to touch the outside of a coffee cup to his forehead (hot, but not enough to burn him), and he made a face and chattered. We don't know just what he was saying, but it was clearly about that cup of coffee!

jd11365
10-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Another door closer here...

But Kayla's most quirky characteristic is her need to line things up. All shoes in the house can be found...on the side of the tub or on the coffee table...lined up perfectly. She'll go so far as to line up my neighbor's shoes in her garage. I don't know if she's OC, or just has a shoe obsession...:P

And congrats Kerry!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

mudder17
10-17-2004, 09:22 PM
I think I mentioned this in the "thumping" thread, but Kaya loves to bounce up and down on her tummy. She's even done it while on her tummy, nursing over me (yes it feels a little funny and tends to make me giggle, which of course makes her giggle and encourages her!). She also LOVES being upside down. On her back in my arms with her head leaning back is one of her favorite positions. You can do that and just rub her tummy and she will immediately calm down:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15103.jpg

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

alkagift
10-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Jamie,
My cousin's little girl does the same thing! I thought it was weird until my own son's obsession about the doors...guess it's gotta be something!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/03

pritchettzoo
10-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Congratulations! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly.

I guess you'll need to find an "I'm a big brother" hat for DS! :)

Anna

mudder17
10-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Wishing you a good pregancy and a great 162 days! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting