PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle Advice

Raidra
09-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Okay, I need some help for my hair. :) I have long, straight, thin red hair. I've worn it up in a pony tail for years, because I never have time to actually style it. I also don't like hairspray or anything, so that limits what I can do with my hair.

I'm looking for a change, though, but I'm clueless when it comes to hairstyles. I'm overweight and have a round face, so I don't want something that will make me look even bigger. I finally have time to style my hair a bit, as I usually shower while Colwyn naps or watches Signing Times. I'd prefer a style that doesn't need a lot of hairspray or other products, but I don't mind if it needs a little.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

psophia17
09-28-2004, 05:53 PM
I had long, straight, thin blond hair that when DS was 5 months old I chopped off and got a really cute pixie. When I used products, it was pretty easy, but when I didn't, it looked pretty good.

I've also got a round face (rounder now than it was when DS was born), and except for the fact that I now look just like my mother, LOVE having really short hair. If you get the right cut, it's very face-framing, where long hair kind of just hung there.

Good Luck!

-Petra

DS - Nathan, 12/29/03

KrisM
09-28-2004, 06:03 PM
I had long, straight, thin dark brown hair that I chopped about a year ago. I had 15 inches cut off to make a chin length bob, more or less. My hair seems fuller now without the weight of it pulling it down. It's less flat against my head. I don't do hairspray or anything else and it looks fine. It does look better if I take time to blow dry it, but that only happens a couple times a week.

I don't have a very round face, but I have big cheeks and I find the bob looks fine on me.

Editted to say that there is a neat website at www.clairol.com. It's called the Try It On Studio. You can upload a photo of you and "try on" different hair colors and styles. This is how I chose my style. In any case, it's entertaining!

farsk
09-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Rachel,

My mom's a stylist, so being around style books has taught me a very little bit and watching my mom has taught me more.

Longer hair will drag your entire face down. Have you thought of cutting it just above shoulder level, with slight layering around the bottom? This layering will let you flip your hair up or curl it under. This is how I have my hair (with a fuller face). I sometimes flip the ends under with a curling iron, straighten my hair with a straightening iron, or set it with hot rollers. I hate hairspray, too, so I only put a little on. Usually by the time some of the curl fall out, it's just how I like it.

Pick up some hairstyle magazines or go to your stylist and look through their books.

Good Luck!

Raidra
09-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the tips.. I did have it short (between my shoulders and chin) once, and layered.. but I still couldn't get it to do anything other than lie flat, even with blow drying and hairspray. Hmph. :)

I'm going to try that Clairol thing.. I just have to find a picture of myself..

kitmama
09-28-2004, 11:31 PM
I have really long hair, and was hoping for some tips myself! I like it long, though, and don't want to cut it.

I wish I could french braid my own hair. I'd wear one all the time I bet!

The best I have come up with is to be sure that my hair is always clean, trimmed and well conditioned. (Just keeping up with that can be difficult sometimes since ds was born!) That helps keep it shiny and "alive" looking, IYKWIM. I still pull it back in a ponytail most of the time to get it out of my way, but I try to wear it loose sometimes too as that's when I get the most compliments.

My big problem right now is that the ponytail holders are breaking my hair something awful- leaving "frizzies" around my face. I hate them. I use the smooth, "gentle" holders to no avail. I need to find something else.

KrisM
09-28-2004, 11:44 PM
You could probably learn to French braid your hair. I can do mine, but I can't do anyone else's. I taught myself in high school and just practiced and practiced until I had it down. It's a very handy thing to be able to do!