PDA

View Full Version : Since we're talkin' birthdays...penguins?

rottiemom
09-30-2004, 11:13 AM
It all started with the igloo cake pan that I stumbled across on marthastewart.com while looking for the recipe for sake martinis. "What a cute cake, but 24$ for a cake pan is nuts". So I brainstormed an idea about how to make an igloo cake without the special pan. But I'd still need an occasion for such a cake. Then it hit me- my little guy's first birthday! He was born in January, in the midle of a blizzard so an igloo cake with penguins frolicking around it would be ideal. Not to mention adorable.

So here's my quandry- Since his b'day happens after Christmas I should be able to find penguin stuff a plenty but does anybody have any specific penguin-y party ideas? Food, favors, etc? I'm most likely going to be making the invitations since I have something specific in mind...'cause I've got so much free time with an 8 month old dervish around...but I'll save that for another thread.

Thanks in advance!

Nina

miki
09-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Great idea. You should get penguin gummi candies and work those in somehow--penguin shaped with black and white parts and peach flavored. If you're going to make your invitations, think about incorporating some vellum for an icy, frosty look. Even though it will be January, you could still serve some ice cream or sno-cones to go with your penguin theme.

bunnisa
09-30-2004, 12:03 PM
I've made these -- they are so, so cute! You cut a slice (round) of carrot, cut out a "v" - use the "v" for the beak, and the remainder for the feet. Slice thru the bottom olive (lengthwise), stuff with cream cheese, voila! The cream cheese shows thru for the white belly.

Wish I had a picture.

http://www.perpetualpreschool.com/preschool_themes/penguins/penguin_snacks.htm

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03