PDA

View Full Version : Advice for baby's first cold

Tori_s mom
09-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey, guys, anybody have any advice for dealing with baby's first cold? Tori's been coughing since Tuesday. She hasn't run a fever. The first two days weren't so bad, but today, she won't nap and is very, very fussy. I realize that it's most likely a virus that'll go away on its own, but I just need some moral support. It doesn't help that I've got the same cold. Sigh.

Thx for listening,
Tasha

Tori (3/11/04)

dr mom
09-30-2004, 01:51 PM
So sorry you and DD aren't feeling well, hopefully it will be short-lived. Even in the absence of fever, sometimes acetaminophen is helpful to alleviate discomfort from a stuffy head or sore throat. Make sure she is getting lots of fluids - if you're breastfeeding, your antibodies will help her to get over it faster. Sometimes steaming up the bathroom with a hot shower will help loosen mucus. At her age, I'd stay away from pediatric over-the-counter cold remedies, since there is little evidence that they work and they often cause side effects.

Don't be surprised if she loses all interest in solids, and just wants to be held all the time. You can pretty much resign yourself to not getting anything done for the next couple of days, so plan to camp on the sofa with your Kleenex and chicken soup with DD in your arms and watch videos. Feel better soon!!!