PDA

View Full Version : At what time did you schedule your baby's 1st birthday party?

jbowman
10-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Just curious! I am trying to figure out when to schedule Ellie's first birthday party. I know that mostly adults will be there (& probably a half dozen school-age kids & one 2 year old). We will be throwing her party on 4 or 11 December, and it will only be 2 hours long. I don't want to hold it in the evening (since Ellie goes to bed b/t 6-7 pm).

I also know that many people will be attending Christmas parties during those weekends, which is another reason for scheduling it early. Ellie is a very flexible child and I am not concerned with interfering with her (frankly nonexistent, or at least unpredicable) nap schedule. I am thinking of scheduling it at 11 am-1 pm or 3-5 pm. And serving a lot of food (or not) is not a big deal to me--I like that aspect of the planning.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just interested in your experiences, advice, what worked, etc. TIA!

flagger
10-02-2004, 09:24 PM
11-1pm would be my choice. That worked for us. Cocoa was taking (still is some days) a mid morning nap and was still down when we started. I got her up as people arrived. We had family coming from out of town so she conked out about 2:30 after present opening and was up again about 5pm. It was nice to visit with everyone and have her napping through part of it.

Jacksonvol
10-02-2004, 09:26 PM
We did 2-4 on a Sunday. Since I was not up to doing big food and a first b-day, we had just the g'parents for lunch at 12:30 and the party after. This gave the g'parents some time with her before things got hectic. At the party we did cake and ice cream. I was glad I did not have other foods to fool with as DH was busy with capturing the moment on the camcorder, the digital camera and the film camera. I think everyone had a good time. It gave DD a chance to unwind afterwards before bed. Have fun!

khakismom
10-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I like the 11-1 time period too. Everyone will be hungry and ready to eat. Plus, then the birthday girl can conk out for an awesome afternoon nap afterwards. Have fun planning it!

houseof3boys
10-02-2004, 10:27 PM
We did it from 2-4 PM since Ryan was waking up around 2 those days. It dragged out from the 2 hour plan but this way, we were able to get a decent dinner in him and a bath (he needed it after that smear of cake all over his face and hair) and still maintain his bed time more or less.

mharling
10-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Lane was napping 2x day at that point and usually woke up from his first nap around 11:30. We started the party at noon and he was happy long enough and then ready for his next nap (which was a natural winddown to the party). As long as you're OK providing a meal, I would do 11-1.

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

jec2
10-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Ours is going to be from 11:00 to about 1:00. Smack dab between his two naps. Finn is very unflexible so I had to be careful of when I scheduled it.

Vajrastorm
10-03-2004, 01:02 AM
We are doing from 12-3, which is in between her two naps. She usually naps around 10 or so, and then again after 3.

jk3
10-03-2004, 09:05 AM
We had a BBQ in June from 4:30 on since it was a joint party 1st for my DS + 30th for my DH.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

jamsmu
10-03-2004, 10:10 AM
We had Carson's from 11 to 2. I'd say it was a little long (so 2 hours sounds perfect.) This turned out to be right between most kids (including the guest of honor's) naptimes.

crayonblue
10-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I would pick 3-5 because it is questionable whether or not I will have had a shower by 11am! But, that is just me and my super-disorganized post-pregnancy personality. Who knew I was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde???!!!

jbowman
10-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Lana,

Are you having a first birthday party for Lauren? I am starting the planning now, although our party will not be too elaborate!

tina-t
10-03-2004, 05:56 PM
We did his party from 12-3, right in between his naps.

whittyanne
10-03-2004, 06:04 PM
I've been debating the same issue. We're having my son's party on December 5th. There's an Eagles game that day at 4 pm so it has to be before that for the football fans (of which many will be in attendence.)

I wish we could do 2-4 and then have the party run into the game since there's a big screen where we're throwing the party... but that's right during Nate's nap time, and the nap time of so many of his "friends" who are coming. So I think we'll do like 11:30-2 pm or so. But I haven't decided 100%. It seems like a lot of people think even 2 hours is good, so maybe we'll do 12-2.

Buffys Mommy
10-03-2004, 06:21 PM
We are doing 2-4 since she is now napping usually between 12:30 - 2. But I know the day of the party she'll decide she can take two naps (or more likely none :)). I've taken Sarah to 3 different birthday parties in the last 3 months - all were in this time frame and she handled them all except the 1-4 party very well. The 3 hour party got to be a little long for her at the end.

Since most of your guests are school age kids or adults, I think either time frame would work.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

crayonblue
10-03-2004, 10:27 PM
I hope to have a party! I am working on my husband's 30th birthday party now so I haven't even begun thinking of a party for Lauren yet.

I will not be doing anything too elaborate for Lauren's- maybe snacks and cake and drinks? I think that is about as much as I can handle! :)

jbowman
10-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses! I really appreciate your advice, suggestions, and experiences. I think that we've decided to have the party on 11 December from 11:30-1:30! Off to start another thread full of questions!

Melanie
10-04-2004, 04:45 AM
I think we did 4 pm, thinking that he would have had at least ONE of his naps that day. Wrong. Big Mistake. It was a no-nap day. :( He was clingy and tired. I would go for morning that way if she misses a nap, at least it will only be the beginning of the day.

We skipped a big party for age 2, and for his 3rd we will be having a 10 am party...before all toddlers need their naps. =) Though, likely, he'll be too amped up to sleep, but at least he won't be needing to be "on display" after the party and can spend the day however he likes.