PDA

View Full Version : Did your feet go back to normal after pregnancy or not?

smilequeen
10-03-2004, 01:18 AM
I am down to very few pairs of shoes that fit now...I squeezed into some today and I regret it :) my feet aren't any longer, but they are definitely wider...They used to be really narrow, so I have a lot of pointy toed dainty shoes that are just WAY too tight right now(well as dainty as size 10 shoes get, anyway)

I'm embarrassed to say I have a very extensive and very overpriced shoe collection (yeah, dumb, dumb, dumb...I did a lot of "retail therapy while we were TTC) and I wonder if I'm going to have to find a way to sell most of them off or if I'm going to fit back into them ever :) Will people even pay for used shoes? I can't fathom giving Manolos to Goodwill...My husband is already doing the "I told you so" thing, albeit as subtlely as he can :)

So, what did your feet do after pregnancy?

Just trying to assess the odds ;)

jamsmu
10-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Mine went back down to size pretty quickly. Just keep them elevated--especially while bfing!

luvbeinmama
10-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Unless your feet are bigger due to swelling, they do not get smaller again. A good number of moms have to get bigger shoes post-pg. Sorry, if that isn't the answer you were hoping for. I think I've heard of moms whose feet don't change at all, and those who are like a half-size or a width bigger post-pg, but I've never heard of moms feet getting smaller again, unless it was just swelling.

kijip
10-03-2004, 02:52 AM
Say goodbye to the Manolos. I am a fellow size 10 (or rather I WAS a fellow size 10) and my feet never once swelled during pregnancy. But they are actually longer. I now wear a freaking 11. As a fellow former shoe collector I must say that it is all but impossible to find the shoes I like in my size.

People will buy gently used Manolos and the like on Ebay but anything more modestly priced and you might have to say goodbye without compensation. I gave friends a bunch of shoes and I donated a couple of pairs of pumps to an organization that helps dress low-income women who need work clothes to start new jobs.

Now my shoe "collection" consists of a pair of running shoes, a pair of Keen sandles and a pair of black clogs. The only shoes I have from pre-Toby are a pair of knee high Grinders that I wore to my wedding that I can not part with. But I wore them the other day a regretted it...

I am shopping for high heels but since I won't compromise on what I want, I have had NO sucess. I am going to have to buy online. I went to Nordstrom, famous for having all sizes and asked about 8 pairs of shoes and they did not have any of them. The salesman offered to bring me all of the 11s that they had to look at. I specified NO ankle straps and that they HAD to be black with a 3 plus inch heel...everything he brought out was a 2 inch pump with an ankle strap or was navy blue. AGGH!

Good luck!

Rachels
10-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Nope! Mine are about a half size bigger. It's very common to have your foot size increase after being pregnant.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

mamicka
10-03-2004, 09:41 AM
My feet grew a bit post pregnancy & NONE of my shoes were comfy anymore. I asked my Chiropractor about it & he adjusted my feet. BRILLIANT. My feet are still slightly bigger but many of my old shoes are still wearable now.

Allison

COElizabeth
10-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Mine did not return to normal. They are both longer and wider than before. I didn't have many expensive dress shoes, but it was very painful to part with my collection of boots for various sports - hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, rollerblading, etc.

When others have brought this up, though, I always warn them that it is NOT worth trying to wear your old shoes if they don't fit right. I wore an old pair of shoes for one day of shopping a couple of months after James was born, and the end result was my not being able to walk without pain for many months, having to put my baby through a miserable 24 hours of no nursing while I had a radioactive bone scan, wearing a cast for a month, and paying hundreds of dollars for new orthotics! Believe me, I will never try to wear too-tight shoes again!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

jbowman
10-03-2004, 12:11 PM
My feet went back to their "normal" size--they are no bigger (or no smaller). Now the rest of me, that's a different story, LOL...

JMS
10-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Mine are a size bigger, but DD is only 7 1/2 months old so I'm still (probably unrealistically) hopeful.
A friend of mine, who also recently had a baby, went to a local shoe store for new running shoes. It's a store where they are very knowledgable about fitting the proper shoe to your foot. They measure your feet in a few different ways and sell mainly high quality shoes made for walking or running (not all sneakers)...ANYWAY.. they told her that most women's feet appear to have grown but in actually are larger b/c the added weight of pregnancy causes some women's arches to drop..

GREAT ! :)

Kieransmom
10-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Mine never went back to normal. I was a size 6 1/2-7 1/2 depending on the make and now I'm a 7 1/2- 8 1/2. Although it may also be because I still have 25 lbs of baby weight that still sitting on me. I'm hoping that once I do that it may help but who knows.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030509/1/5/0/+10/.png[/img][/url]

Marisa6826
10-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Nope. Mine stayed bigger AND wider.

I'm 5'1" and have freaking size 11 feet (and they're WIDE at that) !!! I KWYM about spendy shoes. I have quite the collection myself including lots of Cole Haans and even a pair of Pradas.

*sigh*

-m

crayonblue
10-03-2004, 04:03 PM
My feet grew a half size in length. I wore an 8.5 before Lauren was born; after Lauren a 9. I have only replaced two pairs of shoes so far, but really need to buy a whole new shoe wardrobe.

Momof3Labs
10-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Half a size larger and also wider (they were wide to begin with). Whole new shoe wardrobe here...

Mommie2MadLyn
10-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Mine stayed bigger...along with the rest of me! :-( I was a 7.5 and now I always need an 8. And, narrow shoes just look silly now with my fat feet in them!

hez
10-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Hmmm... It sounds like I'm one a few that can get back into my old shoes without any problems. Not that I want to. I've been staring into my closet the last week hating everything that's in there. I realized I haven't shopped for 'real' fall work shoes and clothes in two years. I digress... It's always possible your feet could go back to at least close-enough, but you never know!

Torey
10-03-2004, 05:43 PM
My feet were kind of puffy the last few months (so I wore bigger shoes), but went back to normal shortly after giving birth. If the increased foot size is caused by falling arches maybe you can prevent the problem by getting a comfortable pair of shoes (that fit) with very defined arches. If you consistently wear them for the next few weeks and wear them for a month post-pregnancy maybe you can shape your feet to go back the way they were? I was born with flat feet (which caused swelling in my joints when I started to walk) and had to wear special shoes with high arches for the first 4-5 years of my life. However, I have very good arches now, so that's why I'm thinking maybe you could shape your feet with a little help (or at least prevent any further falling of your arches).

whittyanne
10-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I was a size 7.... and still am! I only noticed my shoes getting a little tight toward the very end, and I bought a few size 7.5. Then they really swelled in the hospital from the C.... but they were back down to a size 7 within a week or two.

I hope yours go back down so you can fit into your extensive shoe collection!

tinkerbell1217
10-03-2004, 07:34 PM
I was 6.5 before getting PG the firts time, a 7 after my second, am now between a 7 and 7.5 depending on the style and brand. I have wide feet anyway, but I did go up a size or so.

C99
10-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Mine have stayed the same...after the swelling went down. Of course, I no longer live a lifestyle that makes schlepping around in anything higher than 1/2" heel doable, but most of my shoes fit post-pregnancy.

Tori_s mom
10-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Well, I wore size 8.5 before the preg. During the preg, I wore size 9 Lands End all weather mocs. I couldn't deal w/laces! :) Now I'm back to most of my 8.5's but I have a few that just don't work. My problem is width. The feet were wide before, but now they seem a tad wider. Or maybe I'm not willing to be uncomfy!

Good luck on getting back in the shoes!
Tasha

TahliasMom
10-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Oh I didn't want to hear that! I have over 50 pair of shoes, very $$$ shoes. sob...:( my feet went up half a size and increased in width. I went from size 7 to size 7.5 WIDE. Since having my DD my feet have shrank slowly in width a bit but I still can't fit into my old shoes and my preggie shoes are too big/wide!!! I bought a couple of stretchy mules to get me through summer but now fall is coming up I want my boots!!! :( And worst of all, not that I'm not working I got no money for new shoes...

Katherine