PDA

View Full Version : Do you come to other Mamas' rescues?

Marisa6826
10-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Tonight Jonathan, Sophie and I were waiting for a table at our fave restaurant. There was another family with a little boy, probably 3 or 4 years old there also waiting. They somehow got seated ahead of us, which I just chalked up to no big deal. It was a nice night out, we sat outside waiting, and just as we were getting called, Sophie had a super soaker. I stayed in the restaurant, and Jonathan took Sophie to the car to change her.

The lady with the little boy came rushing back out of the restaurant past me. It looked as though he bit his lip or something and was just hysterical. I thought to myself that it was nice she took the kid out so he didn't ruin everybody else's meal with crying like that.

Jonathan comes in not two seconds later and said the little boy projectile vomited all over his mother and that I should go out and see if I could help. He got the name of the lady's husband and I also got him to leave the table.

Well, the kid got his mother but GOOD. Her hair, her cashmere sweater, the entire entrance to the restaurant. She stripped him down to his dipe. It was all over him. He was shivering cold. I gave her my wipes, a roll of paper towels, some water. I then told her that I only had a Hanna dress as a backup, but she was welcome to put it on her son to keep him warm. Her husband took him to the car. I told her I had a sweatshirt (the top to the outfit I was wearing) in the car for her. She was floored I offered it to her. The stench of the barf was so disgusting, I would have probably taken the sweater off - sweatshirt or not.

She asked me for my address to send it back to me. I gave her Sophie's polar fleece blanket from the car for her son to keep him warm till they could get him home.

I'm kind of wondering if I will get my stuff back. It would be nice if she calls or mails it. But as far as I'm concerned, it's nothing more but paying it forward, KWIM?

This is kind of second nature to me. Is it an intrinsic Mommy thing?

-m

deborah_r
10-04-2004, 02:39 AM
That was so nice of you, Marisa!

I haven't really had the opportunity to do anything like that for someone. If someone helped me that way, I would really appreciate it and would definitely return the stuff.

We were on a day trip while we were vacationing in New Mexico, and just as we were walking into a restaurant, I realized that Kai had had a blowout and it was all over my white T-shirt. I had extra clothes for him, but not for me! Thankfully DH had a T-shirt and a button-up shirt over it, so he gave me his button-up shirt to wear!

I dread the day something as bad as what happened to that woman happens to me, but I sure hope someone like you is around if it happens!

tippy
10-04-2004, 02:46 AM
I knew there was a reason I liked you! No, really, all kidding aside, that was a very kind, compassionate and selfless thing you did. And kudos to Jonathan for bringing it to your attention. It's so nice that Sophie has you guys as role models. She is going to grow up and have all those same qualities one day. I hope you get your stuff back. I can't believe you sacrificed your Hanna! LOL

lisams
10-04-2004, 02:57 AM
That was so kind of you! I'm sure more than anything the mother appreciated someone who understood and was there to help.

I get this feeling us mothers just stick together, we're like some special club. I am usually shy but if it's another mom I easily stike up a conversation, or exchange those smiles that we all know mean "I know what you're going through!" or the "your daughter/son is adorable".

You're an awesome mommy!!!
Lisa

jubilee
10-04-2004, 04:37 AM
Very cool Marisa! What a nice thing to do! I hope you are rewarded 10 fold for your wonderful gesture.

brigmaman
10-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Where do you live? I'm coming there. I think here people would look me up and down and whisper under their breathes if this happened! That was great of you, Marisa!
I have only been able to share wipes so far. (Sticky hands at BRU) But... I had another mom help me on a flight in April and that really left an impression on me. I wish I had gotten her name to thank her. Brig spiked a fever right as we (just Brig and I) boarded for our return trip and he was essentially screaming when this woman who was seated next to us offered her daughter's electronic drawing game to Brig. Not only that, she drew things for him on it and really helped to keep him calm. It turns out he had an ear infection so he must have really been in pain. She knew he was ill and STILL allowed him to play with her daughter's toys and talked to him- she was SO understanding. This blew my mind.
Hopefully I will have my chance!

ismommy
10-04-2004, 08:37 AM
You are sooo sweet. That woman was very very lucky to meet someone like you.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

momathome
10-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Awww, Marisa, I knew you were a sweetie-pie! Thta woman was lucky that when disaster struck, you were around! I have shared snacks, diapers, amd wipes when I have seen parents and children look particularly desperate but never had an incident like the one you are describing (thankfully!). I would hope I would be as generous as you were in the same situation. Sophie should be proud of her mama for being such a good example!

barbarhow
10-04-2004, 09:34 AM
It's funny how some people step up to the plate and how others will watch as you struggle through a set of doors with a stroller and a pregnant belly.
I had a similar experience-as the recipient-last summer. I pulled into the parking lot of the ferry terminal where the boat was due to leave in 5 minutes. I was headed out to an island for the weekend. The traffic was horrible, we were running late. I had Jack and all of our stuff to get onto the boat-groceries, luggage, PNP, etc. The next ferry wasn't for 4 hours and I really wanted to be on this one. I was beginning to wonder how I was going to do it when this guy showed up in front of me and said here-you take the baby, I've got your stuff. You'll make the boat. The NYer in me thought-he's going to run off with my groceries and my PNP. Yeah, right....He said as we were huffing and puffing towards the boat-"I was sitting on top of the boat, saw you arrive and realized you would never make it alone. All I could think of was my wife in the same situation." It was so awesome.
You are awesome. I think if she bothered to get your address whe will probably send it all back to you with a million thanks. What a great reminder of what generosity really is.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

crayonblue
10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
That's awesome Marisa! I do hope you get your stuff back.

Just this week, I was at Target and Lauren was having quite a day and I ended up carrying her through the store. She reached up and pulled half of my ponytail out and was squirming all over. By the time I got to the parking lot with my bags, I was out of breath and my hair was all over the place! I passed a family loading their purchases and the man offered me a bottled water! I gladly accepted and have laughed since that I must have truly looked out of it for someone to offer me water! This was a small example compared to all you did, but I so much appreciated the gesture and will remember to do the same for someone else in the future.

And, I don't think this is an intrinsic Mommy thing. I think it is a wonderful part of your personality.

Vajrastorm
10-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I think it is a "valuing community" kind of thing.

When I lived in a small town, people helped each other out. Its what people did.

In most cities and suburbs, people don't. I love it when people are willing to help each other out, however. I think we all benefit when we work together. :)

sarahfran
10-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Wow. Maybe it's hormones, but I actually teared up at your story. So nice to hear of this guy. Bet he's got a happy wife!

Marisa, you're awesome. I hope that if I ever have such a nightmarish moment there will someone as kind as you to help me!

The closest I've come is having neighbors carry the groceries to the door for me... much appreciated, of course!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

hez
10-04-2004, 12:08 PM
What a nice thing you did, Marisa!

I'm good at the knowing smile, but haven't had an opportunity to go that far out of my way, yet. I think I am better about seeing others' needs a little better now that I'm a mommy-- I can't really be as self-absorbed as I know I probably was pre-baby! Your story made me smile, Marisa, knowing some Mommy out there had a silver lining this weekend :)

RwnMayfair
10-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Wow, how nice of you! I wish someone had been this helpful to me when Taran threw up at the airport earlier this year. Luckily it was only my pant leg and part of himself he got (the rest was mainly on the floor), but it's still a pain to have to clean up the floor while holding onto a baby that doesn't look like he feels very good. And then to get to try and clean both of us up in the bathroom afterwards. ::sigh::

But I have had some people help me out with all of our stuff while travelling through airports before. I know I'll return the favor if I ever come across anyone who needs help like that and I can do so! It's always really nice to find some of the extremely nice people out there like you. :) Sophie and Amelia really have some great role models. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041120/0/15/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif

egoldber
10-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Wow! That was SOOO nice! I haven't had the opportuntity to be that nice to someone, but I've done the little things: sharing wipes, diapers, and snacks. I think I have even offered Tylenol, etc.

DH flies for business a lot, and he often helps out women traveling alone with small children - carrying their stroller, diaper bag, car seat or whatever. Just this weekend, we flew to a Bat Mitzvah and coming home there was a woman with a 10 month old, a few too many bags and a stroller. It was a small commuter flight, so you had to walk down stairs to get to the plane and then up stairs to get on the plane, and DH helped her manage all her stuff.

I do think that moms tend to help out other moms. It becomes second nature I think after awhile.

murpheyblue
10-04-2004, 01:20 PM
You were that Momma's angel. I bet you get your stuff back (with a little something for you)!

Either way, I agree, good karma for you!

Marisa6826
10-04-2004, 03:04 PM
H-

The funny thing is that I think this Mommy was so floored because she specifically was the type that WOULDN"T help another Mommy in distress.

You know, all about appearances, etc. She was impeccably dressed, big jewelry, Mercedes SUV, big handbag, etc. Just before they were seated, she and her family were outside with us. She was screaming at her husband because he wasn't following the little boy fast enough as he ran down a wheelchair ramp toward the parking lot - this was all while she stood there herself.

Hopefully, this little experience will make her reconsider her role as a parent and member of the Mommy community ;).

Jonathan looked at me after all this happened and said, but for the Grace of God..., KWIM? ;)

-m

C99
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
I've never done anything like that, but I do always hold the door for strollering mommas when I am out w/o a child. :) And I try to comfort the flustered new-moms with their hysterically screaming babies in restrooms, etc. when I am out.

Jeanne
10-04-2004, 04:43 PM
That was very nice of you both. I agree. You gotta help other mom's and dad's out. It will come back to you if you do or don't.

If that were me, you'd be getting a very nice thank you gift.

lisaE
10-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Marisa-

That was so nice of you. I mean, above and beyond! I help other mamas out when I can, so far the most I've done is give a stash of diapers.

You did your good deed for the day, week, month and year!

Puddy73
10-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Marisa, you are a peach! :) You definitely went above and beyond the call.

I like to think that helping other parents does become instinctual after you have your own little one. I've picked up dropped toys and cups and shared diapers with other mommies, and I've also been the recipient of help from other mommies AND daddies on several occasions. Even a small gesture like someone holding the door for me, DD and the stroller can brighten my day, so I try to repay the favor when I can.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

candybomiller
10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I always try to help out other parents when it looks like they need it. I've never had a situation as dramatic as yours though. I've gotten both good and bad responses to this. A lot of times, the other parent is incredibly grateful for the help. Once or twice though, I've gotten an extreme cold shoulder and a huffy "I can do it myself."

I still have to try though, right?

alkagift
10-05-2004, 02:09 PM
I certainly hope that I would be as nice as you have been, Marisa! I agree, it's important to pay whatever you can forward. Not only because you feel great making someone feel better, but because I truly believe that you get what you give--the whole circle of grace, you know? Giving more also allows you to be more open to receiving, which is what love is all about.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

starrynight
10-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I have offered wipes and stuff to people in public but not clothing. Although I have never been in a situation to need to offer it to someone. I have offered clothing to borrow to people stopping by the house (often people dh works with stop in for a bit and if they have their kids and an accident happens...) I always get it back.

I would be eternally grateful to someone if they did that and yes I would send back their stuff.