PDA

View Full Version : ?? about front loading washing machines

Andrea S
10-04-2004, 12:54 PM
We just got new front loading washing machine and dryer I thought someone had told me you only use a little detergent, but I can not find anything in my manual. It is a Bosch if that makes any differnce. If there is anything else I should know please share with me we just moved and I glanced over the manuals, but do not have time to read them.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

babymama
10-04-2004, 01:06 PM
The manual to our front-loading washer said to use only "high efficiency" detergent. So that's all I bought, until I read here that I could use regular detergent, but just use a little less. I usually fill the liquid cup measure to the bottom line (smallest load) no matter how big a load I have. I've accidentally added too much (second line) and the load is still suddsy at the end of the wash - in one case, soap bubbles came out of the machine! I have a Kenmore EcoWash or EcoCycle or something like that. Hope this helps!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

american_mama
10-04-2004, 01:07 PM
I don't know if this is applicable to you, but I live in Europe and have a front loading washer. It uses very little water, which saves money and natural resources, but takes FOREVER to wash (1 hours 15 minutes per load on the shortest cycle). I don't know if the long cycle time is related to the small amount of water or what. I know others in Europe with front loading washers who say theirs also takes forever to wash.

It also spins very fast and loud at various points in its cycle. We joke that it sounds like a jet plane.

I use the marked cap that comes with laundry detergent here to decide how much to put in. I use liquid detergent, and I guess I put in about 1/4 to 1/3 cup, if you were using a kitchen measuring cup.

Lastly, I don't think my clothes get very clean in this washer. I have no idea of it's the detergent, the front loading design, the manufacturer, or just my perception, but I regularly notice spots in shirts that didn't come out in the wash even if it seemed like they should have.

pamela mom of 3
10-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Do you have the HE soap? Many brands are out there, we use tide liquid, i don't use tons, don't worry you'll get used to the proper amount in time LOL

We had quite the suds fest till we got used to the amounts one uses..their should be amounts suggestions on the soap too ;)

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/36o/1.png[/img][/url]

ellies mom
10-04-2004, 01:43 PM
We have the Bosch too. We use the HE stuff that is recommended but you can (and we probably will) use regular detergent. The guy at the store told us to just use a few tablespoons. If you press start/pause after you start it (probably only in the first few minutes) the door lock light will turn off and you can throw in things you forgot, then just press start again. I haven't read the manual either, DH figured that last bit out.

bluej
10-04-2004, 01:48 PM
So far I just use the HE stuff. Mine is pretty simple, the soap compartment shows how much to put in (as long as it's the HE detergent, for regular detergent I have to guess at how much to use).

cmo
10-04-2004, 03:55 PM
I've used regular detergent in my Whirlpool without any trouble, though the manual says the performance of the machine will decline over time if you don't use the HE stuff. We've only had it for 10 months so I can't vouch for that! I use Tide w/bleach, filled up to the "1" line on the scoop if it's a full load, less for a smaller load. I think it cleans as well or better than my old top-loader. I'm going to switch to the HE stuff soon, though, once I can figure out what kind and how much color-safe bleach to add to get the equivalent of Tide w/bleach. Target just had a sale and I stocked up on the HE Tide, which is usually priced higher than the regular stuff.