PDA

View Full Version : DD is afraid of people :(

TahliasMom
10-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Our DD use to be very social and smiley around our family and friends up until last week, when she turned 4.5 months. We went to a friend's house to watch football and the minute we brought our DD into the house she started to whimper, then cry and scream at top of her lungs. There were only a handful of people, all people she knew and seen many times from birth. I went into one of the bedrooms and after some hushing she calmed down. I tried bringing her out but the minute someone looked at her she freaked out and started to cry! Needless to say we left. We also tried having just one or two people over for dinner this week and the same thing happend. Also, we have a playgroup activity this weekend and not sure if we should try to go. We don't want to stress her out but we're pretty social people. What's going on? I thought the whole people phobia didn't start until 8-9 months?
help...
Katherine :(

Momof3Labs
10-05-2004, 09:58 PM
I remember Colin screaming non-stop like that at his first Easter, so he was about 5.5 months old. It is a phase, like everything, and it too shall pass. Keep on trying to go places and see people, and believe me, one time she'll stop and that will be that. Colin only really did it that once, fortunately, but probably didn't have as many opportunities as your babe has had or he would have done it more often.

It could be, too, that she's teething or getting sick, and just not feeling well enough to deal with lots of people.

Other ideas: a house full of people watching football (which is loud) may have been too overstimulating for her. And she may have been tired when your dinner guests arrived (what time does she usually go to bed?) - the dinner hour is a hard time for many babies and toddlers, some days are harder than others.

TahliasMom
10-06-2004, 12:20 AM
Oh, that gives me hope! And those are very good points. She usually is pretty tired by the evening, winding down around 6:15pm with bottle, bath and book, in bed before 7pm. Maybe we'll try quieter activites during the day.
thanks
Katherine :)