PDA

View Full Version : pg update

amazz
10-06-2004, 02:19 PM
I just got home from the ob's office and just need some other mommies to lend a cyber shoulder. I went in and did the whole weight and pee thing (I lost 3 lbs this week, btw) and then went in to have my blood pressure taken. The nurse is talking away like usual and then stops to take the pressure. It usually goes pretty fast so when she didn't say anything and just pumped up the cuff again, I thought, hmmm that's weird. So then she says, "I'm going to pump this up a little more because I can't hear the bottom number." Okaayyy...turns out she could hear the bottom number but it was so high she didn't think she had it right. So she goes and gets the other nurse to come in and she takes it in my left arm like usual and then takes it in my right arm (highly unusual) and makes this grimmace kind of face. I had to ask her what the number was: 130/100! YIKES!

Now I'm freaking out a little, but trying not to. They take me in to the exam room and have me lie on my left side for a while and then come back to check my BP. Thankfully it had gone back down to normal (for me at least). The dr. tells me that I need to rest at least 1/2 the day, but she would prefer longer.

I don't know why this upset me, but it did and still does. I waited until I got home, but then I just started bawling and I'm not really sure why. People go on bedrest all the time and for a lot longer than a week!! I don't know if I am really upset by that, or if I feel guilty or if I am just too tired to deal with all the hormonal changes that are associated with the last week of pg. So now I'm crying again for no apparant reason and that just makes me feel worse. I guess I'm having all of those feelings I mentioned above and I'm scared on top of that. I have wanted to get this baby out for so long and now I'm terrified that something is going to go wrong. Why couldn't I just be content with having my baby on Oct 15th? What's wrong with that day? Have I jinxed myself into having a bad labor or causing Raisin harm? WTH is wrong with me?!!!

The good news is that if I haven't had the baby by this time next week, she will induce me next Wednesday. She also said I am still 50%, not dilated, and at a -3 station (which is an improvement). So one way or another Raisin will be making his or her appearance by next week! Yea!

If you have stuck with me this far, thank you. I don't really know what I'm looking for in way of response to this post. I know that being on bed rest is not the end of the world, especially not for a week--I can probably use the rest in all honesty. So I guess just knowing that you all are out there and reading this is enough for me right now.

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

ismommy
10-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Hugs and more hugs. Pregnancy is a fun and sometime scary times. You di NOT jinx yourself in anyway and Raisin will come when he/she is ready:) I did two weeks of bedrest and meds with Bella and am on modified bed rest with X and while not fun the end result is worth it.I am confused though why she would order bedrest when you are full term. Did she mean just to get some rest before baby comes? Try not to worry and get some rest and know soon you will be hugging Raisin and posting pix for us to see.

Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

mmaimp
10-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Angela,

It's hard not to worry when d-day is approaching. Take the well-deserved rest. The first few weeks with a new baby are very tiring. I did not take any time to rest with my first. I worked the day my water broke, which was only 4 days before my edd. This was a big mistake!

Rest and enjoy the small amount of time till the raisin joins you.

mamicka
10-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Sending you lots of hugs & a shoulder that's really good for crying on. I don't have any experience with the bedrest stuff but I was REALLY emotional the last few weeks of pregnancy with DS. It doesn't sound like your Dr. is truly concerned, since your BP went down after resting a bit. So just take her advice & rest - enjoy it now while you can. Deep breaths, rest, & happy baby thoughts. You're doing fine.

Allison

Saartje
10-06-2004, 02:46 PM
(((((Angela)))))

The hormones can really wreak havoc on your emotions in those last few weeks of pregnancy. You haven't jinxed yourself, and it'll be all right! Try not to worry, but forgive yourself if you do anyway.

babymama
10-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Yes, we're out here and we're cheering you on!!! I am sending you lots of hugs and sending you lots of happy vibes!

HUGE HUGS,

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

kthomp
10-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Angela,

Hugs! Try not to worry too much about it. Thats not dagerously high, and you are full term. Remember, a baby can be born healthy and term anywhere after 37 weeks. They don't need to be born on or after their due date by any means. So if you BP was to spike up and they recomended inducing, everything would be fine.

Take it easy and get some rest. This will all be over very soon.

I'll be thinking about you. Please keep us updated.

hez
10-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Sending hugs! It's absolutely amazing to me how perfectly rational women can completely fall apart when dealing with the hormones and emotional highs and lows of pregnancy and motherhood. Of course, I claim to have been rational at some point, but I may have been fooling myself. What I'm trying to say is: you're absolutely normal for having these feelings, and we understand!

Very, very soon your little one will be here, and you can cry for another reason-- joy!

Marisa6826
10-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Awww Ang-

Everything will be fine. First off, what size cuff are they using? For those of us that aren't, ahem, svelte, unless they use the "big cuff", the numbers will be notoriously off. I have to remind the nurses EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm there to use the big one.

Second, your BP could have been up from something as simple as a little dehydration or too much salt in last night's dinner. The fact that it went down after laying down for a while is very encouraging. You are FINE. I promise. If your pee stick isn't showing positive for protein, you don't have pre-eclampsia.

All this is tough on an almost Mommy. The hormones are raging. It's normal for you to feel tired, overwhelmed and anxious. Also, know that Raisin would be totally healthy if s/he made his/her appearance tonight, let alone next week. Sophie was born at 38w2d, and Amelia will be delivered at 37w6d.

So kick back, have your DH make you some brownies, watch bad TV. ENJOY your peace and quiet while you have it.

PM me and I will send you my number. I"m home all day losing my mind. I'd be happy to chat with you.

HUGS!!!

-m

barbarhow
10-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Angela-Marisa is so right!!!! (As are all the other Mommies) The fact that you lost weight and didn't gain 5lbs (or more) is also a good sign.
Do you have Tivo? or HBO on demand? Climb into bed and watch a few episodes of your favorite show. I would get on line fast and order a series of Sex and the City-that would keep me laughing all week! And definately have your DH pamper you.
I would cry, too. I think I spent many a day in that last month on the verge of tears.
Hang in there!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

amazz
10-06-2004, 03:22 PM
I think because my blood pressure went down to a mostly normal number when I was in a resting state, she would prefer me to stay that way. She said that I could go into labor at any time but wanted me and the baby to stay healthy until I did. So I think it is just to keep my BP under control. She also wants Tim to take my BP several times a day (he knows how to do this since he does it all day at work!) and if the bottom number goes over 90 to call her and she may decide to induce.

Thanks for your kind words. I hope that your pregnancy will be an easy one and that you will not have to stay on bedrest for too long!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

amazz
10-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Barbara--I don't have Tivo or HBO, but I did get my Aladdin DVD and even though I watched it last night, I will probably watch it again today! :)

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

jbowman
10-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Angela,

Big, big Texas-sized hugs to you! The end of pregnancy is so full of uncertainty, I understand why you are upset/nervous. Relax, rent a movie, read a book (happy to give you suggestions), and know that everything will be crazy in a week or so when your baby is in your arms!

amazz
10-06-2004, 03:26 PM
M- I'll PM you!
Thanks!!
Angela
EDD 10/15/04

mary b
10-06-2004, 03:27 PM
ANGIE,

Hang in there!!! The end is so hard, just waiting for your beautiful baby!!! i agree with the others, i am sure everything is fine.. take care and go rent a chick flick!!! With my 3 year old, a new nurse couldn't find the heartbeat at 38 weeks and she went and got another nurse, then the midwife finally found it.. It was so nervewracking, i was so upset all day even though by the time i left the office, I knew the baby was fine.. i totally understand your frustration.. I was very late both times with relatively easy pregnancies and i have to say the end was the hardest!!!

mary
mom to noelle and lindsey

rrosen
10-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Angela,
Big Hugs! You are in the home stretch, hang in there. I had low blood pressure my entire pregnancy until my visit on week 39. During that visit, I had some protein in my urine and my BP was elevated. My OB was slightly concerned and had me return the next day to repeat the tests. That was a Friday, I gave birth on Saturday morning. I did not have to worry long. A few hours after my Drs. visit contractions started. I hope that happens for you too.

Rest up! You won't get a chance to curl up in bed with a cheesy movie or a good book for a while!

Hugs,

alkagift
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Don't worry, I think you're normal! The same thing happened to me the last week or two of pregnancy (I think my BP at my appointment one week before was something like 130/90) and if your bp can go down because you're lying down, like Marisa said, you likely don't have P-E and enjoy the lie down! You need it, rest up and have a brownie!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

AngelaS
10-06-2004, 04:29 PM
((((ANGELA))))

I had high bp with my first, but I had bunches of other symptoms to go along with it. ENJOY this week of laying around and resting! I didn't the first time and now I wish I had. And wow, only one more week!!!

steph2003
10-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Hang in there mama! You are fine & raisin is fine :) I had elevated BP my entire pregnancy including towards the end but my protein always came back fine. Your BP can do whacky things, my midwife said sometimes it can jump just from the stress of being at the doc's office & in that environment. But your doc is good to keep a close eye on you. Enjoy your time in bed, make some brownies....try to relax! Raisin will be here before you know it!

COElizabeth
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Angela,

Hang in there! It's going to be fine. I was put on full-time bedrest at 32 weeks with my first pregnancy when my BP was 139/98. It's normal for blood pressure to fall when you are lying down, so that's why the doctor wants you to be in that position as much as possible. The less time your pressure is elevated, the less risk of doing any harm to the placenta. By staying on bedrest I was able to make it to 38 weeks and have my baby stay healthy. I ended up being induced then because I did start to show signs of preeclampsia like protein in the urine. I just want to reassure you that many women face this situation much earlier in pregnancy and go on to have healthy babies.

Your pressure this time could be a fluke, as someone mentioned. I know from lots of personal experience that my BP would shoot through the roof with the experience of having a nurse or tech check and re-check the pressure, go get others to check it, etc.! But even if the elevated pressure is the start of a trend, you are so close to having this baby that I imagine it won't end up affecting things too much. The baby would be full-term even if born today, and if you have to be induced, 50% effacement is a good position from which to start! Meanwhile, take the advice to rest, and know that you and the baby are going to be just fine. Really!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

mamahill
10-06-2004, 05:07 PM
(((Hugs)))

Before you know it, you'll be cuddling that little one and your week of bedrest will be a distant blur. Make sure you rest up. Not doing that was what, I believe, contributed to a very long and painful labor. Your body is about to go through a most strenuous and miraculous event - prepare now so it's more the latter.

calebsmama03
10-06-2004, 05:42 PM
You're in the homestretch - it will all work out. Take the opportunity to relax a bit before baby (says the person who was on bedrest for 14+ weeks) - rest will be hard to come by in a few weeks! ;)

Seriously, though, relax and try not to worry too much. You'll have your lil one before long
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

amp
10-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Hang in there mama. You are doing great! And when that little baby is born, none of this is going to matter a bit! Hugs to you!

lisams
10-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Oh hon, your post hit home. Two weeks before my due date the exact same thing happened to me, almost to the "t". The nurse said she couldn't read the bottom number, called the doc in, had me rest on my side BUT when they came back 15 minutes later it was still pretty high. So I was given orders to go over to the hosptital and get induced right away. I sat in the parking lot of the hospital bawling about it - feeling guilty, scared, and mad. Well, 12 hours later none of it mattered, DD arrived perfectly healthy and I was as high as a kite holding her in my arms. The blood pressure went down by the next day.

Take it easy, let others pamper you, and know that your emotions are totally normal and expected. This little one will be in your loving arms very soon, you will not believe how in love you will fall. Keep thinking about those special moments that are ahead of you. We're here for you so please vent away, cry, whatever you need.

Lisa

jamsmu
10-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Hugs to you Angela,

This part of pregnancy is not fun... its the waiting that just, well, sucks! And being on 1/2 day bedrest is tough when you are nesting.

Here are my suggestions: Get into some soaps, start a good, long book, SHOP online!, journal so your raisin can know what you went through, chat on the phone, paint and repaint your nails, invite friends over for tea (they'll be great about making the tea and helping out... they'll probably bring you magazines, too.)

It may not help the agony of waiting, but at least there are ways to pamper yourself while you wait.

Hope Raisin wants to come out soon!!

abigailsmom
10-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Hugs hugs and more hugs for you!!!! I know in my heart that your very precious little Raisin is not only going to be fine... Raisin is going to be fabulous. It could have been a number of things that made your blood pressure go up. Just calm yourself and get some rest for you, your sanity, and your Raisin.

Feel free to borrow this cyber shoulder anytime! Let me know if I can do anything to make you smile!!!

Robyn- a fellow Texan (at heart)
Mama to Abigail... who is two and terrific and too much some times!

Robyn's Nest Creations

barbarhow
10-06-2004, 08:14 PM
That a girl!!! You should also watch Monsters, Inc. I bought it for DH for his birthday before Jack was born. We watch it all the time-Jack hardly pays attention-its all about us. If you haven't seen it, rent it! Or buy it. Hang in there-You're almost through another day!!!!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

mudder17
10-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Angela, just sending lots of hugs and good thoughts your way. I think my last month, I kept saying to DH, she's only moved once today, do you think she's okay? Or she's been kicking me all night, I wish she would just stop and let me sleep. Then four hours of quiet later, she's hasn't moved for four hours, I hope she's okay! DH just kept calm and kept reassuring me that everything was AOK. Enjoy your bedrest and let DH wait on you for the week. :) Oh, and you should also watch Finding Nemo! That movie makes me laugh a lot. :D

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

brigmaman
10-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Oh Angela, try not to stress too much. (Easier said than done, I'm sure). I think that sometimes emotions run really high right before giving birth. (From personal experience.) I've never been on bedrest, but take advantage since it is only a week. Get a great book or start a memory album. Things will be crazy again before you know it!
Hope you're feeling better tomorrow!

McQ
10-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Oh Angela! You did nothing wrong. You did not jinx yourself. Everything will be fine. Raisin will be fine. It's the hormones that are getting to you. Enjoy the rest, stock up on it now because Raisin will be here very soon. Get some good snacks, comfy clothes and kick back and relax. Remember we're all here for you and can't wait to share your good news soon. Take care!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04