PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with clotting disorders? Also, opinions on risking a high-risk pregnancy.

slknight
10-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Has anyone here had to take heparin or lovenox while pregnant? I was diagnosed with a clotting disorder (homozygous for MTHFR) while pregnant with DS. Although I did not take a blood thinner then, I did after DS's birth. They told me that if I ever became pregnant again, I would need to be on blood thinners the entire pregnancy. I also know that my risk of m/c is much higher than normal.

DH and I are trying to decide if we want to have another child, and I'm just not crazy about the risks. I'm not sure that sacrificing my health (potential for placental abruption or blood clot) or the baby's health (possibility for IUGR or birth defects) is worth it. But then again, I don't know if I want DS to be an only child. (Considering international adoption, but DH and I are not quite on the same page about this.) What are people's thoughts about willingly entering a high-risk pregnancy? (My pg with DS was high-risk but I didn't know that going into it).

Thanks.

crayonblue
10-06-2004, 05:27 PM
I tested positive for antiphospholipid antibodies and my RE believes that my two miscarriages were due to blood clots in the placentas. So, while pregnant with DD, I took a baby aspirin everyday. We discussed heparin, but my doctor felt that baby aspirin would be enough for me and it was.

As far as willingly entering a high-risk pregnancy, I had no choice if I wanted to have a baby. Honestly, I felt that what I was going through was very small compared to many of the other ladies in the RE office who were having much more invasive procedures done.

It sounds like your situation might be more risky than mine...so I don't know what to tell you. But, it worked out for me!

slknight
10-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks, Lana. I also tested positive for antiphospholipid antibodies. But I guess that having this genetic thing makes it a bit more complicated. I took baby aspirin and also an increased dose of folic acid while pregnant with DS. I've also had one m/c (and possibly a second.)

I know what you mean about not having a choice if you want to have a baby. But I guess the question is, should I do it to have a second? I just don't know if it's worth risking my life or other major problem for a second. I don't want to leave DS motherless. I'm almost wondering if I'm being too "greedy" (for lack of a better word) in wanting to have another baby, when DS was truly a miracle.

Also, my pregnancy with DS was truly awful. Months of bedrest and restricted activity and 18+ u/s. Mentally, I'm not sure if I could do it again.

Sigh. I think I'm answering my own question. :(

egoldber
10-06-2004, 09:36 PM
After several losses, I too was asking myself what am I willing to do to have another (bio) child? Thats something that only you and your DH can answer. But I think there's a difference between ready today and being ready later. Not saying you SHOULD have another child, but I suspect that your feelings may change as your child gets older. I personally found that HAVING a child only made my desire for another even stronger and me more determined.

Also, I tested positive for MTHFR as well, and the RE never said, but I think mine is hetero, not homozygous, which is a lot more common and not as firmly linked to miscarriage.

Calmegja2
10-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I also tested positive for APLS, and I took heparin and baby aspirin during my pregnancies. I also take extra folic acid when pregnant (and all the time, actually). I only test positive for APLS while pregnant.

I had five live births, 1 early miscarriage, and I have 4 surviving children. My last three children were all delivered early, with induction when we reached lung maturity. I did not know I had this problem until my second child was delivered prematurely.

My pregnancies were very complicated, I was watched like a hawk, and was on restricted activity for most of them. I also have several extended rounds of bleeding (heavy, like soak a maxi pad bleeding in most of them, usually from 7 weeks until 23-24 weeks or so).

I had fabulous peris who watched and guided me along the way. For many reasons, and with careful guidance, and some outright luck, we were able to achieve the family size that we wanted to, but it wasn't without heartbreak at times.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I researched until I was blue in the face, and I've had great guidance from my doctors, and I got a lot of support from family and friends to get me through it all.

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Just want to let you know we are thinking about you. I have no advice but I know someone here will. Big hugs to you and I hope you get the big OK to go for number 2!!!!! You are so wise to educate yourself now and to be prepared...
Big hugs and thinking of you!!!!
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER SENT TO UKRAINE-siblings

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

dogmom
10-12-2004, 04:50 PM
As a nurse I have to say I've seen a whole range of decisions people make about their health & pregnancy. I do think there is a difference between having the first child and second (third, fourth, fifth) child, because any complications/problems with the pregnancy/child will have an effect of the first child. I don't have a clotting disorder, but I have been struggling with the "how much am I willing to go through" question with infertility issues coupled with hitting 40 soon. All of this is complicated by the fact I'm an ICU nurse and I spend all my professional time trying to anticipate the worst case situation. So my DH thinks I'm negative and worry about low probablity situatons. I just think of it as an occupation hazard. I wind up evaluating each decision separately. Small day surgical procedure to remove polyp, OK. General anesthesia for laproscopy, No.

We are also planning to adopted internationally. Soon if there is no pregnancy by the end of the year. If I do get pregnant, in a few years for children #3 & 4. I have to say I find myself much more excited about adopting, maybe it's just because I wasn't one of those "happy pregnancy hormone" people. My DH is open to adoption, he just is not quite up to the same place about giving up on another biological child. I know it's mostly I've spent a lot more time thinking about this than he has, so I'm a little further along in the process than he.

Having said all that, I definately know people who have been in your shoes and gone on to have wonderful children. I would encourage you to talk to more than OB about how they would handle your situation and see if any has patients that would be willing to talk with you.

Like other people said, there is no one right decision for everyone. I do think it takes work to communicate all of your concerns about a high risk pregancy to DH. If he is like my DH I doubt he has really thought about all the repercussions and what they will mean to your family on a day to day basis. Everything from more frequent doctors visits to exactly who is going to take care of your child if you are on bedrest? Not like your DH won't be involved, but the reality is the majority of the burden will fall on your shoulders. It took several discussions for my husband to really understand all the concerns I had about pushing the "fertility envelope." In the end he said it was my decision because it's my body, but the reality is we are a couple and I am doing more than I would have if it was just up to me. I think talking all of it out definately helped the situation.

I don't know if any of this helps. The thing is you don't have to decide right away. You could decide to wait x period of time and then revisit the issue.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03