PDA

View Full Version : Can someone PLEASE help me with a digital camera?

lmladuke
10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I posted a while ago about 35 mm camera breaking. I am definately opting for a digital. I want one that takes great quality pics when developed into prints, as well as ease of downloading on PC. I would like something that has some nice options that I can use as I get better skilled, but is not totally confusing. It does not have to be super compact.

I think I have narrowed it down to the following:

Nikon Coolpix 5200 - 5 megapixels, regular 3x zoom
Canon Powershot A85 - 4 megapixels, regular 3x zoom
Canon S1 IS - 3.2 megapixels, 10x zoom

I really like the great zoom on the 3 mp Canon, but would really also like more megapixels than 3. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a point and shoot with 4 megapixels and more than 3x zoom (unless I get into more professional cameras which I will not really know how to use)

All 3 of these cameras at about $400. Does anyone have any of them and can comment? Or for thos with digitals - is it better to have more mps and less zoom, or 3 mps and super zoom?

I need to buy one by this Saturday as DD's christening is Sunday!!!

HELP

Thanks!
Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5

ellies mom
10-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Lori-
I responded to your first post, suggesting the Canon S1 IS. I guess I should probably go into my reasoning for making that choice. My last camera was a 3 megapixals with a 3x zoom.So I had lived with both and knew what I could live with and what I wanted to improve. My main concern was a longer zoom with image stabilization. I felt I could live with 3 megapixals, because I do not print 8x10s often (if ever actually), and with the longer zoom I could zoom in closer if it was something I wanted to blowup (ie. baby hands or feet). To be honest, for most of us, 5 megapixals is overkill. It sounds good, but really is unnecessary. Now that zoom, I use that almost everyday (I take lots of pictures). I think with the christening, you'll want to "get in close".

So now that I have the camera, I still think I made the right choice. You have a lot of manual control over your images if you like that kind of thing, but you can also go purely automatic. Although whatever camera you decide you may want to get it, oh tonite, because I know it took me a bit to adjust to the new camera, and you'ld hate to be adjusting on Sunday. Hope this helps. Good luck.

lmladuke
10-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks Veronica:

I did read your response to my other post - which is why the Canon stuck in my head. I keep going back to that one. It has alot of features I like. I think I am going to go buy it tomorrow.

I also have my crappy old Nikon (no zoom) that I used to use before my recent 35 mm broke. I will probably have someone take pics with that one for me Sunday just in case my digitals don;t come out so good!

Thanks again
Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5