PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone watching Wife Swap?

flagger
10-07-2004, 03:38 PM
As Ms. Flagger said to me "It is not reality, I just know the producers egg on the participants and edit to show the most dramatic parts." I commented on her still watching said pseudo-reality.

Ok I know some gun-toting Confederate Flag flying southerners and some tree-hugging, dredlock wearing southerners as well. However, do you think the Fox network is kicking themselves for missing out on "Mary Kay LaTourneau Beaver" and her husband "Sideshow Bob"?

If you are so in love with animals lady, why weren't you a vegetarian before the experience and why on earth is your house filled with LEATHER couches. And sorry but there is nothing wrong with teaching your Darlene Connor wannabe daughter a little manners. However you seemed far more upset about the fact that your dogs were outside than you were about your "mistreated" daughter.

However Mr. Hunt and fish every weekend, no wonder you are sleeping in another bed. When you wife saw the "I wish Amy was my wife, my REALLLLLLLLL wife" comment you made, I bet you were not even sleeping in the house anymore.

TraciG
10-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Really, weird people both families but it was fun to watch !

amp
10-07-2004, 04:49 PM
"And sorry but there is nothing wrong with teaching your Darlene Connor wannabe daughter a little manners."

THANK YOU for finally cluing me in here! I have been driving myself batty trying to place where she looked familiar from! You hit the nail on the head there!

Also watching, and although I'm very much an animal person, I thought that chick was waaaay over the top! Both families were just laughable, really!

Momof3Labs
10-07-2004, 05:07 PM
The huuuuuge pile of cigarette butts on the porch cracked me up. I wondered how many days/months of accumulation that was. Smoking just doesn't seem consistent with a "tree hugger"/vegetarian lifestyle!

What I don't understand is WHY these families go on the show. They must be paid fairly well, that's all I can come up with. The thing that bothers me most is the kids - why do they have to involve the kids in this sort of thing (I know why the producers do that, but why the parents??)? Sending their mom away for a week and bringing in a complete stranger (and often a VERY weird one) to care for them?? No, thank you...

Grace_underfire
10-07-2004, 05:16 PM
I found myself sitting with my jaw droping pretty much the whole time. That crazy woman was unreal. She either has very special mental problems or they are smoking something other than the ton of cigarrettes they had outside. The kid unnerved me just as much and I thought it was so funny that she got more worked up about the dogs than her daughter. How can they insinuate the other woman mistreated their kid when she actually parented her! The other family had issues too but the Arkansas family was the most strange bunch of individuals I have ever seen or witnessed. I also picked up on the leather couches.. :) It made me nervous to see that woman praying to God for the dead animals... boy she needs to read the Old Testament! ;)

bluej
10-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Oh I am so glad I am not the only person watching this show! I don't even know what to say (about me watching it and about the show!).

I think what amused me most (and I'm using the term amused very loosely here) was at the end when she started screaming about her child being mistreated (like what, she thought the mom was beating the girl and the dad was just sitting around watching?) and then breaking down and crying over the dogs sleeping outside. Oh what hideous monstrous crimes! And you cannot tell me that she didn't enjoy living in a clean house when she first got to the other woman's home and then back again at her own home!

Flagger I'm am cracking up over "Mary Kay LaTourneau Beaver", "Sideshow Bob" and "Darlene Connor wannabe"! Those are exactly who that family was! Scary!

flagger
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
>What I don't understand is WHY these families go on the show.
> They must be paid fairly well, that's all I can come up with.

There was an article in the Charleston Observer on the TWOP forums where the Smoak mom said they were paid but not as much as the Trading Spouses families.

I actually thought "Sideshow Bob" did try to get her daughter to follow the "Stay on Task"'s rules. However an article about them says he makes furniture. I bet he is smoking and selling something else to supplement his income.

I think that show last night gave both Treehuggers and Rednecks a bad name.

flagger
10-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Ok just when I thought it couldn't get any weirder...I went and found the house manuals for each family.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/wifeswap/episodes/2.html

sugarsnappea
10-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Oh my goodness! I got sucked in. I thought the first episode people were strange with their sipping coffee thru straws ritual. But, these people are truly weird. She praises her cat for killing animals? I thought "all living creatures were God's creatures"? I laughed so hard while reading these. I can't imagine my mother calling my husband every morning to coerce him out of bed. LOL! :)

Mommy_Again
10-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I didnt watch episode #2, but I did watch #1 b/c I wanted to see the "manhattan socialite's" lifestyle. The way they led their lives and the lack of interaction with their kids made me sick. It reminded me of the book The Nanny Diaries, which also made me ill. That husband was such an a-hole too. An hour a day with the kids? No family dinners? So sad.