PDA

View Full Version : Worst Mom ever

candybomiller
10-07-2004, 10:31 PM
I don't even deserve the title of "Mom". I should be stripped of all my privledges.

I spilled boiling hot water on my son.

I don't think I'll ever forget the sounds of his screams.

Fortunately he will be all right. I'm not so sure about me. I think it might be wise if someone just called cps or fds. Honestly. I seem to cause this kid more harm than good.

ncmommy
10-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine how you must feel. Thank goodness your little boy is ok. I hope you have loving people in your life to support you right now.

C99
10-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Candy! You are not the worst mom ever. I think the key word here is "spilled." As in, accident. You did not *pour* hot water on your son. You had an accident. I'm so sorry that you are feeling so low right now.

g-mama
10-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Oh Candy, I am sure you are feeling awful right now, but please don't be so hard on yourself. We're all just doing the best we can and accidents happen.

Just last week I walked by and slammed the pantry door just as my older ds was coming out of it (I didn't know he was in there) and it gave him a huge knot on his forehead. He thought I did it on purpose and was so upset he hid behind a chair and wouldn't come out for 10 minutes. :(

I'm glad he will be okay.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Huge hugs Candy...I dont' know about anyone else but sometimes I get thru the day with T'ster and wonder how we made it without me causing some accidental harm to him. I mean stoves are on, dogs are barking, glass coffee tables are out, stairs are provoking...

don't be so hard on yourself and know it was an accident...and more importantly that he is fine...

you are a wonderful mommy as is everyone (parents) of us on these boards...
Big hugs to you girlie...we will have a life of such moments to doubt ourselves and thank goodness the moments that we feel super strong out weigh the moments we feel like we've let others down...

Much love...chin up!!!!

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER SENT TO UKRAINE-siblings

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

jd11365
10-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Candy,
First...thank goodness Matt is alright.

Past that...I personally can attest that you are a WONDERFUL mother. Matt is the first thing on your mind always...I know that and have seen it in person. We've all done something that could be potentially harmful, as accidents happen.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14496.jpg
Does this look like the face of a threatened child? I don't think so! That's the face of a well-loved, well-cared for little boy...who is so lucky to have such a fantastic mommy!

Chin up mama...Kayla and I are sending you and Matty big hugs and will call you this weekend!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

sbjf
10-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Awww, don't be so hard on yourself, Candy. He's ok, that's the main thing, and it was an accident!!!

My dh's mom spilled hot coffee on him when he was little and his mom is really awesome. :-) It happens!

redhookmom
10-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Candy,

I am glad that Matt is Ok. I know to well how you feel. Not once, but twice I burned my ds. Once on the oven door and once on the iron. It sucks to feel like a bad Mom, but deep down you and I both know we are good Moms! Our amazing children are quick to recover and quick to heal our aching hearts. Give Matt a big hug and smother him with love.

mamahill
10-08-2004, 12:14 AM
(((Hugs)))
My mom spilled hot melted butter on my brother once. The blisters formed immediately. She was convinced all of us would be taken away - and rightly so. The good thing is, we weren't, and my brother doesn't remember it.

Take care. Accidents happen. Treat yourself to a bowl of ice cream tonight. And maybe a cookie (or 5).

cvharris
10-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Candy,

I'm so sorry this happened and you're feeling down about it - I'm sure I would feel the same way. Mommy guilt is so tough - even when it involves things beyond your control. Please keep your chin up! You are a great mom.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

Grace_underfire
10-08-2004, 01:40 AM
I know you must feel so bad and so guilty but he is ok and it was an accident. We have all done DUMB and dangerous things without meaning to of course... You know deep down you are a good mom and the best one for your son... focus on that and forget this accident.
We all have done or will do things like this.

jec2
10-08-2004, 01:41 AM
oh, how scary. you aren't a bad mama. accidents happen even to super mamas! hug that little bug.

jubilee
10-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Candy, Matt sure seems to be a lucky little boy to me. I can tell you really love your son. You are so caring to us on the boards that I am certain you are an amazing and caring mommy! Hugs to both of you,

flagger
10-08-2004, 03:14 AM
Oh how scary. Hugs to you.

Can I admit how I couldn't understand why the french doors to the backyard weren't closing and I kept pushing on them harder and harder with my foot even until I realised that Cocoa's fingers were in between one door and the doorjamb?

brigmaman
10-08-2004, 04:28 AM
I didn't read all the responses yet, but Candy you are a WONDERFUL mom. I've witnessed this in person. We all have accidents and make mistakes, sometimes with worse consequences than others.
When Brig was in his infant seat, twice, yes...twice, I forgot to buckle his straps and actually started driving to my destination. Once I even went the whole way. I hate to admit this, but I'll never forget being so upset.
Kiss Matt for Brig and I.

COElizabeth
10-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Oh, Candy! I'm so sorry! I am so glad Matt is going to be fine, though. Please try to concentrate on knowing that we all have accidents and near-misses, and the most important thing is that he is okay. We all know that you are a very concerned mom who would do anything for her baby, and that's what Matt is going to grow up knowing and remembering most of all. Children have such a remarkable ability to recover from things like this, especially when they are well loved and cared for to begin with. Go easy on yourself, please!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

Kieransmom
10-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Candy-
Please don't be down on yourself. I understand your feelings but it was an accident! I would see if you can have someone watch your son for a few hours so you can collect your thoughts or even cry a little. Maybe once you have all the emotions out a little you will realize that it was just an accident and you're not a bad mom. I'm so sorry to hear this happened.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

momathome
10-08-2004, 09:23 AM
{{{Candy}}} Sweetie, we ALL have days like that! It sucks beyond reason when we realize we have inadvertantly caused harm to our angels but you are certainly NOT the worst mom ever, in fact, your extreme care, concern, and worry over Matt shows more clearly than anything exactly what kind of a mom you are - a WONDERFUL mom who would do anything for her little boy! Take a deep breath, grab some chocolate and a magzine, and find some time to chill - you deserve a breather after that kind of day! {{{hugs}}}

Marisa6826
10-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Aw Candy-

I'm so sorry. My BIL spilled hot water on his infant daughter years ago. He was warming milk, had her in his arms, shook the bottle, and didn't realise the cap was loose. I guess it fell in and splashed her.

She is fine now, and it is all a distant memory. Honestly, it's MUCH worse on us that it is on them.

Deep breaths.

hugs

-m

barbarhow
10-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Definately not the worst Mom ever. Heck you aren't even in the quarterfinals. More likely you are in the semis fro best mom. You care, it upset you, it was an accident. I bet he has forgotten already and now you need to forgive yourself. I bet you have reminded some of us of the same on the days that we thought we were the worst moms.
Hang in there!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

Sarah1
10-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Candy...you're not the worst mom ever. This stuff happens to all of us. Don't make yourself miserable over it. He's probably forgotten about it already!

mudder17
10-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Aww, Candy, hugs! You're not the worst mother ever! Not even close! That picture that Jamie posted shows such a loving and caring mother. Your son is fine--it was an accident.

I let my daughter roll off the changing table a month ago. Changing table is now on the floor. My brother sat on the radiator in his diaper when he was two--my mom was at work and we had to call 911. Fortunately he is okay and doesn't remember the incident at all. My mom must have felt so guilty for being at work! Anyway, remember that children are resilient and Matt knows that you love him! Give him a hug and know that you are a great mommy!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

amp
10-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Aww, Candy, honey, give yourself a break! You are human and although it's terrible to know it happened, you also know he's fine. Hugs to both you and to Matt! Hang in there mama!

bluej
10-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Oh Candy, I know from your posts that you are a GOOD loving mommy who would never harm your child. It was an accident. They happen. And as you have already pointed out Matt is fine. You will be fine too. Hugs to you.

Vajrastorm
10-08-2004, 12:00 PM
((hugs))

I've been in a roughly similar situation. I didn't spill liquid, but Aine grabbed a HOT chicken nugget fresh of the microwave when she was a youngish baby. I had her in one arm and the plate in the other and she was young enough that I didn't think of the possibility.

She grabbed, she screamed, I had to pry the nugget out of her hand because she didn't even understand to drop it. I still remember my panic as the blister formed, holding a shrieking baby crouched in the bathtub so I could run cool water on it for 20 minutes, or however long it was. I was in tears, she was in tears. Oy.

So you are only as bad a mom as I am.

Life happens. Go easy on yourself.

sntm
10-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Oh, Candy, you poor thing -- please don't beat yourself up over this. Trust me, I have taken care of kids with burns before and I've seen the difference between the accidental burns and the intentional burns.

Please forgive yourself for this.

I don't know how severe the burns are, but please PM me if you want any information or have any questions that Matt's docs didn't answer for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 16 months and counting

hez
10-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Sending Hugs!!! I'm glad your DS is going to be fine. Accidents happen, and for some reason we mommies take on more guilt than we're due. I hope you're both feeling beter soon!

mharling
10-08-2004, 02:46 PM
You are absolutely, truly, in no way the worst mom ever!! You are a fantastic mother who had an accident. :)

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

Melanie
10-08-2004, 03:53 PM
OMG Candy! I am so sorry. It could happen to anyone...I know my little guy sneaks up on me in the kitchen all the time and I've been luck to have near misses.

Give him a hug from me.

--Melanie

calebsmama03
10-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Oh honey,
Thanks goodness he will be alright! Be gentle with yourself mama! {{HUGS}}
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]