PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk induction!! (Raisin will be here Monday!)

amazz
10-09-2004, 05:11 PM
My BP has continued to stay elevated so my dr. put me on the wait list for an induction and they called this morning! I have the 5th slot on Monday (whatever that means) so I call at 7 a.m. and they tell me when to come in that day. I am so excited!!

I do have some questions for those of you who have been induced. Mostly I guess I just want to know how yours went...good and bad. I just want to be prepared. I don't react well to surprises (ex: when they called this morning I shook so hard and got so anxious I had an anxiety attack!) so I really do want to know what to expect. As far as I know, I still haven't dilated, but am 50% effaced and at -3 station. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated!!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

rrosen
10-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Angela!
Congratulations on having a birthday set! How exciting! I don't have any advice or info re: induction (was not induced) but really wanted to wish you luck. No matter what people tell you about their birth story, you will have your own. Unfortunately, it is hard to give birth without *surprises* I know you said that you get anxious about the unknown but something tells me that this will be different. Relax, let the nurses and your dh support you through it. And be sure to post pics of your beautiful new babe when you get back!
Hugs,

bluej
10-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I had an incredibly positive induction experience. With Caden my water broke and contractions started immediately but didn't progress beyond weanie-non-productive-contractions. They started me on a very low dose of pitocen and gradually increased it until productive contractions finally kicked in (six hours after my initial dose of pitocen and ten hours after my water broke). Labor was fine and the contractions were manageable (actually they were relatively pain-free) for four hours and then I had two very painful contractions, asked for some drugs (yep, I'm a wimp), the nurse checked me and told me no drugs b/c it was time to start pushing. Caden was born twenty mintues later :)

COElizabeth
10-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Angela,

When you go in, you may or may not get a prostaglandin suppository inserted in your vagina as a first step in ripening the cervix. After it's inserted (not painful - less than putting in a tampon) you will have to lie on your back for a couple of hours to keep it in. I had this about 4 or 5 hours before pitocin was started, and it did make me start having uncomfortable contractions more than I had been before (I was having a few before going to the hospital). If the doctor thinks your cervix is ripe enough to go ahead and start pitocin, though, you may not have the prostaglandin at all. Since you are already 50% effaced, so close to term, and still a couple of days away from the induction, I think there's a good chance they will go straight to pitocin. I was at 3 cm and 70% effaced when they started the pitocin.

Once the pitocin is started (through an IV), you will probably start to have intense contractions pretty quickly, more quickly than if you went into labor on your own. If your blood pressure rises more, they may want to give you an epidural if you are okay with that, because it will help lower your pressure (if you do have an epidural, you will have to have fluids in your IV first, and that takes probably half an hour). This happened to me, and I got the epidural a couple of hours after the pitocin was started. I was at 6 cm right after that.

If the baby is still high when you reach 10 cm, and if you have an epidural or don't feel the urge to push yet, you may be advised to practice "passive descent," which basically means sitting up and letting gravity help the baby move down before you start pushing. This is a VERY good thing because it can dramatically cut down on the time you need to push - for me I had to push only 8 minutes. From the time I got the epidural until I started pushing was about 6 hours, but for nearly two hours of that, I was at 10 cm and just waiting for the baby to drop more.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Your labor will vary depending on your hospital's policies, how rapidly you progress, etc., but lots of inductions go very smoothly. Best wishes, and I will look forward to hearing the news about Raisin's arrival very soon!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

June Mommy
10-09-2004, 06:06 PM
I was induced b/c I was 10 days overdue, so hopefully yours will go better than mine! I was 50% effaced for a couple of weeks, but not dialated at all. When I went to be induced, I was on the pitocin for 19 hours and still had only dialated to about 6 cm, so I ended up with a c-section (which wasn't bad at all!) The dr. broke my water a couple of hours into the induction, but I still did not progress. I do, however, know several people who were induced with no problems. I don't think its anything to be afraid of, it just didn't work for me (but I think my body had a lot of issues with pregnancy in general...a whole other story.)

lisams
10-09-2004, 06:58 PM
I was induced for high blood pressure, here's a very detailed description of what happened:

Went to hospital, signed paper work, and was taken to labor and delivery room. Went into gown, nurses took blood pressure, set me up to fetal monitor (two belts that go around your tummy), lab guy came in to take a blood sample (they said this was routine). Started the Sodium Nitrate through IV to lower my BP (I think that's what they gave me, it was something like that), about an hour into it all the doctor came in and administered the first gel (prostaglandin gel, not Cytotec). I could not get up for an hour (so the gel would stay there and start softening the cervix). The gel did not hurt, was basically like a mild pelvic exam. Two hours later they put the second gel on (they said it would probably take 3 gels). After the second gel, I started having very strong contractions, very close together, I had dialated to 4 cm (the nurses were doing internal checks which was more frequent towards the end, wish I would have told them not to do so many because the Dr. said I was very swollen form all of the checks). The nurses were surprised at how well just the gel was working (had not even gotten the Pitocin drip). My water broke which caused even stronger contractions almost back to back. Got the epidural which went fine and was such a relief. Started the Pitocin, and was pushing about 9 hours into it all. I pushed for 2 hours, which probably would have been shorter if they would have had me wait and upped the Pitocin (which they finally did and really helped) Probably would have helped if I wasn't laying on my back pushing push up style, should have been more in a squating or upright position! Finally DD arrived, they handed her right to me with cord attached, then took her to get cleaned up and get checked. Delivered the placenta which was nothing, just a gentle push and it came out. Dr. sewed me up. Had a few hours to rest, breastfeed and then was wheeled to recovery room. DD stayed with us the entire time except for her blood test, hearing test and check ups. Nurses came in all of the time checking blood pressure, helping me pee, etc. The nurses kept the IV on me for the high blood pressure, they finally took it off the next day.

The Sodium Nitrate (or whatever they gave me) made me a little sweaty, and I was very swollen for about three days after because of all of the fluids they were pumping in through the IV.

All said and done it was a wonderful experience. There are a few thigns I will do differently next time, but it really went very smoothly.

Let me know if you have any questions, I like to know what to expect also so I know how you feel!

Good luck, can't wait to hear about your special arrival very soon!
Lisa

papal
10-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Angela, I don't know about inductions but just wanted to give you a big cyber-hug and wish you a speedy labour and recover. I can't wait to see pics of Raisin when he or she arrives. I am so excited for you.
My only advice is to be in the moment and however painful it is, breathe breathe breathe. You will replay the labour and birth in your mind for many weeks to come, so take in everything... the colour of the walls and curtains, the machines, the nurses names, everything... it helped me immensely just being IN the moment and not thinking of the next contraction, you know?
Big hugs and rest up mama!! :)

brigmaman
10-09-2004, 08:27 PM
How exciting! I don't know anything about induction, but am sending well wishes your way! Can't wait to hear more...

new_mommy25
10-09-2004, 08:37 PM
I wasn't induced so I don't have any sage advice. But I am so excited for you! I remember how exciting the last month of pregnancy was, so much anticipation in the air. I can't wait to see pictures of the "raisin".

ethansmom
10-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Angela,

No matter how your birth goes, you'll handle it and everything will be fine!

I had a form of pre-eclampsia (HELLP Syndrome), but was under the care of midwives who believed my body would know when to give birth- which it did! I was given pitocin since I was slow to progress once my water broke.

In my mind, it was good to have pitocin for my first birth, since I didn't know any different. I know some people say it is more painful, but I don't have anything to compare it to!

I will say, my doula had mentioned pre-birth that my hospital was good w/pitocin. They start it out at a low dose and gradually increase. There was some computer thingy on the iv stand, which controlled the dose. I think I started out at a 6 (sorry, no idea what that is a measure of) and the nurse increase it every 30 mins. I did speak up when I felt the contractions were getting too severe for me to handle, and she first didn't increase the pitocin, and then, when I was about to push, actually turned it down.

Can't wait to hear about Raisin's arrival!

Karenn
10-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Congratulations Angela! You know, scheduling an induction has proved to be the #1 way to get labor started for me! With both my babies, as soon as I scheduled my induction, I went into labor. :)

There is one thing to be prepared for that happened to me. I hope it doesn't happen to you (and it may not even be an option because of the high blood pressure issue). When I called the hospital on the morning of my induction, they said, "Oh sorry, we're too full and we won't be able to induce you after all." In my case, labor was already in full force, so I said, "Too bad, I'm coming anyway." But I was still beside myself the whole time worrying whether or not I was far enough along that they would let me stay in the hospital once I got there. I think I would have handled things better if I had known ahead of time that they could "cancel" my induction. I hesitate to even share this because I don't want to discourage you, but you did say you don't like surprises...

Good luck! I'm sure everything will go beautifully on Monday!

JElaineB
10-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Well...since you asked about good and bad...I had a failed induction. I started with an overnight prostagladin gel, then got major amounts of pitocin for over 30 hours and only dialated to 4 cm. I had a number of other interventions during my induction as well (I chronicled it in another post about inductions a few months ago if you want to search for more info). I ended up with a c-section. So I would tell you to keep in mind it could be a long process (I went in the hospital Wednesday 7 pm and DS didn't arrive until Friday at 4 pm via c-section, then I wasn't released from the hospital until Monday at noon). And especially since you are a first time mom you are more likely to end up with a c-section (though that you are somewhat effaced is probably a good thing that may mean you are just about ready anyway). Now the c-section itself wasn't that bad, but coming at the end of a long induction was not the best. I was totally worn out. So I would suggest you get as much rest as possible while you are being induced. Let your DH or the nurses do everything. Don't worry about the monitors etc. (I was constantly monitored which isn't true for everyone) like I did, it will just stress you out. Relax and rest and the baby will be here soon one way or the other! Good luck!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Puddy73
10-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Congratulations! How exciting to know that you will be able to hold your babe in a few days!

I was induced because I was 2 weeks overdue. I was not dilated or effaced at all - DD was stubborn even before she was born! Sorry if this is TMI, but here's my story:

I checked into the hospital at about 6:00 p.m., they hooked me up to the monitors almost immediately and inserted a prostaglandin suppository - Cytotec, I think. Prostaglandins soften your cervix and cause most women to begin dilating. Some women begin to experience strong contractions as soon as the suppository is inserted, so it is on a string for easy removal. I was allowed to walk around and I could eat and drink whatever I wanted before midnight. If you feel up to it, I would suggest having a healthy meal at this stage because you will need the energy.

I started having contractions at about midnight and they became progessively more intense throughout the night. I was not able to sleep at all. I passed my mucous plug and my water broke at around 6:00 the next morning. If your water does not break on its own, I think they generally break it for you at this stage. I would recommend moving around a little before they break your water and start the pitocin. I don't know if it is standard procedure, but the hospital that I delivered at requires that you be on a monitor the entire time you are receiving pitocin, which means you are confined to your bed.

After my water broke, they started the pitocin and WOW did it make the contractions strong and fast. I could barely talk and I was throwing up. I was in so much pain due to DD's position (headfirst, but facing the wrong way) that they gave me an epidural when I was only 4cm dilated. Sweet relief - I wanted to kiss the anesthesiologist! Although I had been warned that the epidural might slow down my labor, it did not. I was fully dilated by 11:00, but I had to wait for my OB to show up because she was tied up in another delivery. While I was waiting for her, my contractions almost stopped so they had to increase the pitocin. I only pushed for about half an hour. DD's cord was around her neck and her heartrate was dropping so I either had to push very fast or they were going to use the vacuum extractor. The vacuum looked scary, so I just pushed as hard as I could. I had a great epidural, so I barely even felt the pushing. I barely noticed the delivery of the placenta (just one little push) or being stitched up because I was looking at DD.

They only let me have ice chips during delivery and I remember being so THIRSTY that I immediately guzzled a huge cup of water and a can of ginger ale. I was only allowed to stay in the birthing room for about an hour and a half because it was very busy and they needed the birthing room. As soon as I could get out bed and walk to the bathroom, they transferred me to a recovery room.

Since DD was my first I can't compare being induced to a regular delivery, but it wasn't too bad overall. It was kind of nice to have a room waiting for us when we arrived at the hospital. We had pre-certified a few weeks earlier, so we didn't have to fill out any paperwork, we just showed up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck!!!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-09-2004, 10:23 PM
HOney it will be fine...I hope you are only bombarded with the best of experiences of what to expect.
We can't wait to welcome Raisen to the boards!!!!
Hugs and we look forward to an update!!!
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

KrisM
10-09-2004, 10:28 PM
My labor started with my water breaking. Contractions started an hour or so later. But, after about 16 hours, they stopped. I went to the hospital at that point and ended up on Pitocin to try to jump start the contractions. The were definitely more intense than the had been the night before, but they weren't too bad.

After about 7 hours of Pitocin, my son's heartrate started having late deccelerations. At this time, I had only dilated to 4 cm and had been in labor for a total of 28 hours. We tried a variety of things to help the heartrate situation, but in the end I ended up with a c-section. That was horrible, but is another story.

I didn't have any drugs until we were working on the heartrate issue. I didn't feel the need to have any, even with the more intense level of contractions.

Good luck!! Enjoy the new baby :).

amazz
10-09-2004, 11:27 PM
10 days overdue?! UGH! I think I would have been completely insane by that point. Of course I know c-section is a possibility and I'm glad yours went well! I appreciate you sharing your story.

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

pritchettzoo
10-09-2004, 11:28 PM
My induction was an utter failure, but I still had a healthy baby. DD was a stubborn little monkey and did not want to leave. ;) Anyway, 12 hours of pitocin and nothing. I had contractions overlapping, but I never felt anything other than severe cramping. Long story short, one c-section later, I had Gracie in my arms.

SIL had pre-eclampsia (sp?) and had an emergency induction. Her son's heartrate got all wonky and they did an emergency c-section. There were a series of incompetent decisions by doctors and nurses, the end result being an open wound that didn't close for 2 1/2 months. The second and third opinion doctors said something about how the surgeon should have done an up-and-down incision instead of the traditional one with her HBP. Now this is filtered through BIL, who is an utter moron, and then DH, so I have no idea what was actually said. SIL's situation was a total freak occurrence, and nothing you should worry about actually happening. Since you said you hate surprises, you may to discuss the what-if scenarios with your doctor beforehand. I discussed what would happen with a c-section before my induction, so I wasn't as freaked out when the decision had to be made quickly, and I wasn't trying to process information under duress, KWIM?

I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Anna

amazz
10-09-2004, 11:37 PM
"From the time I got the epidural until I started pushing was about 6 hours, but for nearly two hours of that, I was at 10 cm and just waiting for the baby to drop more."

LOL! When I first read this I thought you said you PUSHED for 6 hours! I was thinking--WOW her OB sucked if she had to push that long! :)

When you first went in, were you dilated at all? My OB and I haven't talked about induction b/c she was going to wait until my appt on Wednesday to induce, but the high BP made it possible for me to get in earlier. So I don't really know what to expect at all once I get there. It was glossed over in the birthing classes, too, so I really appreciate you telling me what happened with you! And I am very happy to have an epidural! :)

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

amazz
10-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the fluids and swelling. I'm not sure what they are going to do so at least I will know what's happening (if they decide to give me that med.).
I'm glad your induction went really smoothly and I hope my goes just as well!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

amazz
10-09-2004, 11:47 PM
I was kind of worried about that b/c I have the 5th slot (whatever that means), but my dr. was the OB on call so she made sure I got in. I am hoping that mine says medical induction next to it so I don't get bumped!!

Angela
EDD 10/15/04

mudder17
10-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Angela, I wanted to wish you a smooth induction, delivery, and speedy recovery.

I was induced 2 days before my due date because there were some indications of a low fluid level. I went in at 6:30 and they had me fill out some paperwork and then I went into the labor room where my doctor came in and explained what was going to happen. They first hooked me up to the monitor so that they could watch the baby's heartbeat and my contractions. Then they started me on IV fluids (I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight) and that's also where the pitocin was going to be delivered.

By the way, a comment on all those fluids they pumped into me. I was still really thirsty, and they wouldn't let me have more than an ice cube. But I was puffed up, feet, face, hands. In fact, I'm glad I didn't have my wedding ring on (I wasn't able to wear it the last week of pg), because it may have cut off circulation around my finger! I think I checked my weight sometime and I must have gained 5-10 pounds of fluid. Seriously! I think I wore socks for most of the time I was in the hospital and I was glad to have slip-on shoes for the trip home, because there's no way I could have fit in sneakers or any other enclosed shoe.

I think they started me by around 9:30 and slowly upped the dosage. It started slowly at first and I was able to first ignore my contractions and then breathe through them as I distracted myself with music and playing with Lego and just talking to my husband. They would check on me from time to time and the doctor would watch the contractions before upping the dosage. At around 2:00, the contractions started getting more and more painful in the back and my husband had to really help me through those contractions. They say that induction often causes the labor pains to be stronger and faster--I don't know if that's generally true, or if it was even true in my case (since I've never had labor without induction), but those pains were excruciating. I figured I had to be at 8 cm by then, but when the doctor checked, he said I was only at 6 cm and that it would probably be at least 3 more hours, so he recommended getting the epidural. At that point, DH and I looked at each and said, "Yeah, sounds like a good idea." I'm a wimp, but I couldn't imagine 3 more hours of that back labor, let alone pain that might have been worse! Anyway, the anesthesiologist came in and set me up and that's when DH became faint! That actually distracted me from my pain because I thought he was going to pass out. He's never been queasy, but I guess having to support my weight (and help me through the contractions that hit when I was supposed to keep still) and watching the needle enter my back was just a little more than he could handle (blood, gore, other body fluids, no problem). Anyway, the nice thing about this whole thing was that every doctor/nurse came in and explained a procedure before they did anything and they let us ask questions.

Ah, then the epie kicked in and I could still "feel" the contractions, but the pain was dulled. At that point, it was really enjoyable to watch the monitor and see how far apart my contractions were, and how they compared to the baby's heartbeat. After 2 more hours, I was ready to push and 45 minutes later, DD came into this world!

By the way, I did have terrible tearing, but the epi meant I really didn't feel any of it until recovery hours later. I have very positive memories about the whole thing and I'm glad that I can say that!

I will say that every person's experience is going to be different and in fact, your experience with different babies will be different, but I think you will do just fine with the induction. If you're worried about "losing it" if something unexpected happens, I would suggest asking them questions from the very beginning and finding out what you can expect. Most medical staff should be more than willing to go through that with you.

Anyway, thinking positive thoughts for your induction on Monday and praying for a wonderful experience for you!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

mamahill
10-10-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't know anything about induction, but wanted to say congratulations! You'll do great and all of this anxiety will just be a blur. I'll be thinking of you Monday!

jamsmu
10-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Angela,

Relax! My induction went so well, I've already asked my OB if I can have an induction next time as well. (She smirked and didn't respond.) I don't mind that I missed walking around laboring and using the birthing ball... it was so easy to lay there and let it happen. I went for the drugs (staidol and epi) and I can honestly say I was able to enjoy the birth of my little guy. Sure, there were pains that came on pretty quickly, but it was so easy to just check in, lay down, and start laboring.

Best wishes!!

SeekerMage
10-10-2004, 01:23 AM
My advice....bring lots of movies, popsicles, and relax. I went in for an induction and sat around all day watching movies....never progressed past 3/4 which is what I was to start. I contracted comfortably all day but they just didnt go anywhere....so THEY SENT ME HOME! AHHHH! (Trust me....this is much prefered apposed to a c-section! If your arent going anywhere dont go for the c-section unless you have to! THere is no reason why you cant wait if your pressure isnt high enough that its hurting the baby) I cried and cried....but was glad all went as it did. I was and wasnt ready. Sooo that weekend we walked and walked and walked the mall and come Monday morning my water broke and I had Miss Lil'bit later that night.

Sooo my advice is get lots of walking and relaxing in. Due to your high blood pressure they wont let you walk around. (Atleast was the case for me) I had a fetal monitor on which wouldnt stay so they had to do the internal one and I was confined to the bed. Also, if your pressure gets high and doesnt go down, change position change position change position! This helped tremendously for my pressure and the baby's! Your butt will get sore from laying/sitting there so bring extra pillows and a tennis ball to have DH rub on your back or tailbone or wherever (I LOVED THIS!) Anyhow....the induction was no problem at all....dont worry, be happy...celebrate, get a little excitement in before the day and just enjoy! Congrats...hope all goes well!

hez
10-10-2004, 01:51 AM
I hope things go well for you on Monday!!! It's exciting to think about a new baby arriving soon!

I was induced. The induction itself wasn't too bad. I went in at midnight, actually had the pitocin started around 2am. Got an epidural at 6pm when I was around 3 or 4 cm, and popped to 8cm within an hour-- just needed to relax, I guess. Took another while longer to get to 10.

Unfortunately we had heartrate issues, too, and did an oxygen check on DS before deciding to push or do a c/s. Results weren't good-- in the end we found DS was crushing his cord a bit. So, c-section for us, but no regrets because DS is perfectly healthy. Just wish there was a magic way to know this kind of stuff before the induction!

I was anxious going in-- I took some good books, puzzle books, music, etc. The start is very boring because if you're not contracting at all you're starting from scratch. The early contractions I could barely feel. If I had it to do over I'd let them break my water AFTER getting the epidural, as opposed to before!

Best of luck-- hope it goes well!

trumansmom
10-10-2004, 01:55 AM
I asked this question for just the same reasons almost exactly 6 months ago! Here is a link to that thread:

http://tinyurl.com/4ow42

And here is a link to DD's birth story and how it all turned out:

http://tinyurl.com/4m7s5

FWIW, looking back, it truly doesn't seem like such a big deal now AT ALL! Even though it was rough, it was only 6 hours out of my life. And the past 6 months have been so filled with joy, if I hadn't read my old post, I wouldn't have remembered the really rough parts. And if I had to do it again, without question, I would make the same choices.

Sending all kinds of positive thoughts your way! You'll do great!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

HannaAddict
10-10-2004, 02:46 AM
I hope your induction goes smoothly. Two friends (who had my doctor) had inductions with great results. No gel on the cervix though, just Pitocin. My doctor's practice doesn't use the gel because they said once it's applied you can't "undo" it if your body or the baby doesn't like it. But they can control a Pitocin drip, stop it if needed, use something to counter it if needed.

My BP was up in the days before my son was due, I was on bedrest for a couple of days, then my last regular appt. before he was due they decided to induce since BP still raised. I was 50% effaced. Everything was calm at the hospital until they started slight Pitocin drip and had contractions I couldn't even feel. But my little guy didn't like it and his heart rate decel'd a couple of times within 5 minutes of the drip. They stopped the Pitocin, I ended up with a c-section (a different story) and a new baby boy by early evening.

But again, my friends had smooth sailing with inductions for 3 different babies. Good luck and get lots of sleep this weekend if you can!

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

jubilee
10-10-2004, 04:17 AM
I had an induction with my youngest, and although I am pretty happy with the experience I hope some details I'll give you will make your experience even better than mine.

I was supposedly 3 cm and 90% a few days before induction, but when I went in they said I was only at 2 cm, I went backwards?? But I was having very mild but regular contractions. So they started the pitocin at 7am (I had arrived at 5am) , I started having good contractions right away. Then the contractions tapered off in intensity and my OB came by to check on me. He wanted to break my water to re-start the contractions. But there was a problem-

IF YOU HAVE STREP, BE SURE TO TELL THEM right away, the moment they give you a room. The nurse was supposed to give me the antibiotic when I arrived, but she hadn't. So the doc couldn't break my water until I had the antibiotic.

So, they start the antibiotic about 9:30am and crank up the pitocin. I progressed only to 4 cm by noon. The OB was going to come back and break my water after lunch. So the nurse has a great idea-

GET THE EPIDURAL BEFORE THEY BREAK YOUR WATER! They put the epidural in, but per my request DIDN'T turn it on. I was only going to use it if I really needed it. (I'd done natural childbirth with my first- I was fully aware of what that felt like!) So, the OB comes back, breaks my water and I go into good, strong, productive contractions finally.

But I start hurting more that I want to, so I say to turn on the epidural and within a minute I feel great. Since it was already in place in my back before I was in pain, it was a huge blessing! I went from 4 cm to 10 in less than 3 hours, but I felt pretty good.

I personally did still feel the contractions, but they were very managable with the epidural. I did have to do focused breathing still. But I was able to laugh and joke around, and actually enjoy the moment! At 3:26pm I had my son, after 40 minutes of pushing.

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful birthing experience!! Please give us an update once you have that bundle of joy!

mary b
10-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Hi Angela,

I am so excited for you that you are going to have Raisin finally and can't wait to hear your birth story!!!

I was induced with both girls for basically being way overdue, 10 days with Noelle and 7 days with Lindsey with no end in site...

With Noe, I wasn't dilated at all and my cervix wasn't even open so, I went in on Sunday nite, have the cervidil inserted around 6PM, had contractions in the middle of the nite but nothing too strong, started the picotin around 8am, contractions got really bad around 11:30 even though i was only 3 centimeters, they gave me the epidural since I was on picotin, THAT WAS awesome and before they broke my water, I progressed all day and started to push at 4:30 and took 2 hours pushing and at 6:30 Noelle finally made me an appearance, a surprise that she was a girl since I felt like she was a "Boy" the entire time.
Honestly, it was a GREAT experience being induced and really no major complications at all, just the pushing got tough at the end.. They finally, brought down the dreaded 'mirror' which i said i didn't want but in the end, seeing how close i was, gave me extra strenght to push!!

With Lindsey, since I was already slightly dilated and second child, the expereince was very similar but the process went quicker!!!
GOOd lucK AND please pm mail with any questions, i would be happy to answer!!

You'll do great!1
mary

mommd
10-10-2004, 10:01 AM
I wasn't induced, so don't have any advice for you, but I just want to say good luck and wish you a speedy delivery and recovery! :)

COElizabeth
10-10-2004, 11:41 AM
LOL, no, my pushing was definitely at the other extreme. And since I had been on bed rest for more than 6 weeks before James was born, I actually felt quite awake afterwards for several days!

To answer your question, I was at 2 or 2.5 cm when I first went in, but my cervix was still very thick. It was soft, but I don't think it was effaced much if at all. So I may have started "ahead" of you in dilation, but it sounds like you are definitely ahead on the effacement. The resident who gave me the prostaglandin gel said that sometimes they are trying to induce when the cervix is hard and thick and not dilated at all. I imagine that makes it a lot harder to get things going, but with you conditions are better. And you could easily be dilated some by Monday. I dilated 1 cm from the day before I was induced until the time I went in.

Best wishes!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

McQ
10-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Tomorrow, yay! I was so thinking you had the baby on Friday when I didn't see you around.

Here goes my stories:

Declan - At 35 weeks my water broke, went to the hospital and I was 1cm dilated can't remember how effaced. Since it was a Sunday night and I wasn't contracting much (couldn't feel them) the doc on call said for me to wait out the night to see if I would go into labor on my own otherwise they'd induce in the morning. 8:30 rolls around and nothing so they started to get me ready. The only thing they gave me was pitocin (probably around 9/9:30) and they said it should take about an hour per cm. Well they checked me at 11:30 and I was good to go. 20 minutes of pushing, out came Declan.

Meghan - 37 weeks, 4cm dilated, 100% effaced, scheduled induction. Again I only got pitocin but this time despite being on it for 2 hours (and starting at 4cm) I didn't progress at all. So I got my epidural, they broke my water and I went from 4cm to 10 cm in 20 minutes. 4 pushes later, the world met Meghan.

Here's hoping it's that easy for you. Looking forward to hearing your story and the news of Raisin's arrival. Post when you can. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

tarahsolazy
10-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, I had high blood pressure, mild pre-eclampsia, and was induced at 41 weeks. I really didn't want to be, but my BP stayed up and the fluid around DS decreased to a dangerous level. I didn't want to risk seizures, so I agreed to induction. I had misoprostil (Cytotec) and then Pitocin. Cytotec has some risks, you might want to read up on it, if your doc uses it. Unfortunately, my DS did not descend. I was also at -3 when we started, and still at -3, although dilated to 5cm, 31 hours later when I agreed to a C/S. Most inductions do succeed, however, so try not to worry. I would recommend not letting them rupture your membranes until you are fairly advanced in dilation, past 6 or 7, because early rupture could promote a C/S if you don't dilate fully in 18-24 hrs after. Also, I'd advise limiting internal exams as much as possible, they increase your risk of infection, which could also cause you to get a C/S, if you get a fever. I did all of that, but still just didn't progress. Good Luck!