PDA

View Full Version : Hooters moving in to my neighborhood

jubilee
10-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Icck! A contractor friend told me a Hooters is going in about 2 miles down the street from me. I've never been to a Hooters, and from the stuff I've heard, I'd never want to go either. The impression I've gotten from TV and stuff is that it's a wild, almost x-rated place that attracts a bad element. Is that true? My son has to go by there to get to school. If anyone can tell me what the scoop is on Hooters?

new_mommy25
10-10-2004, 06:04 AM
They have really good buffalo wings.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's just like any other bar except the girls are all wearing short shorts and crop tops. In fact, many of the girls don't even have very big hooters, lol. I've been there a few times with friends for appetizers and drinks. Usually there are some dumb guys in a corner getting drunk, rowdy, and loud. Maybe it's because I grew up in Hawaii where there is bare flesh everywhere, that seeing a girl in shorts and a tank doesn't phase me. You see more everyday on the beach.

Joshuasmommy
10-10-2004, 09:51 AM
It is really just a bar/restaurant whose waitresses hang out a little more than most. :) We just had one open near us and we went with some friends and our two babies. There were other kids there besides them also.

mommd
10-10-2004, 09:55 AM
We have one in town, and I can say it is not x-rated. The waitresses just show a little more flesh than most. The food is quite good actually. I don't think your son will experience anything bad by passing it on the way to school.

heytootsy
10-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Not too x-rated. I was actually thinking of getting a job there when I found out I was pregnant. I would have to wear sleazy clothes, look huge, and they couldn't fire me. It would have been my "statement" to the company!

(I am joking, but it was a thought). Hooters is not so bad. I wouldn't want my daughter working there, that is for sure.

Sarah1
10-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Julie--I wouldn't worry about it. We have a Hooters in Chicago and it's extremely tame! Like a PP said they apparently have great buffalo wings! Also, just think of all the jobs it will create for people in your community! :)

flagger
10-10-2004, 11:38 AM
>Icck! A contractor friend told me a Hooters is going in
>about 2 miles down the street from me. I've never been to a
>Hooters, and from the stuff I've heard, I'd never want to go
>either. The impression I've gotten from TV and stuff is that
>it's a wild, almost x-rated place that attracts a bad element.

It is really hard to judge a place if you have never been. Television is going to show the most salacious elements for ratings, when nothing can be further from the truth.

It is interesting that the city of Arlington, TX has denied Hooters a permit to put a franchise there, but want the Cowboys to build their stadium. The Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders wear less clothes than the Hooters girls.

Vajrastorm
10-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Cute. :)

lisaE
10-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Go before you decide. Plenty of places have waitresses that dress more revealing than that. And their wings are awesome.

redhookmom
10-10-2004, 02:02 PM
I have only been to one Hooters and it was with a bunch of nuns! It was before I knew about it and wondered about the uniforms... It was a normal restaurant.

MartiesMom2B
10-10-2004, 02:21 PM
I haven't been but from what DH has said it's pretty similar to what the previous posters have stated. Hey if I didn't have a post pregnancy belly and didn't have stretch marks, I would get a job there. I'm sure the waitresses make a ton of money in tips.

-Sonia

deborah_r
10-10-2004, 04:05 PM
There's one about a mile from where I live and it doesn't affect my life at all.

However, we have had some local Hooters who have gotten in trouble - one was secretly videotaping girls who applied for jobs as they changed their clothes. Another I think involved rape charges - I think it was something between a manager and an employee. I don't remember the details of that one. But, I think as long as you don't go applying for a job there you'll be pretty insulated from any incidents like that!

lisams
10-10-2004, 04:17 PM
There was a big stink about a hooters moving into a neighborhood around here, but it turned out to be just fine. It's just a bar that has woman wearing short shorts and a tight t-shirts. You could see worse going to the mall! It's not wild at all. Many familys go and take their children. It wouldnt be my top pick for a fmaily night out, but it really isn't wild like some people hype it up to be.

Lisa

ShayleighCarsensMom
10-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Yuck, I'm sorry!
I have to ask though, do you live in Sacramento? There is one opening there in a residential neighborhood right down the street from a school...
Just gross if you ask me!

kelly ann
10-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Never been, but I have heard about their wings.

Anyway, it probably would not be my first choice for a family dinner, but I think the waitresses are sometimes more covered up than customers in regular restaurants. My pet peeve...when a woman sits down and her thong is showing. Not only that, but you can see the skin below the thong strap. I have had to stare at this while eating my meal on 2 different occasions - yuck! I would rather look at the Hooters girls than that :)

Kimberly H
10-10-2004, 04:58 PM
When Hooters first came to Omaha, the girls had to wear short-sleeved shirts instead of tank tops. Ummm, they just tied their tops up like crop tops and showed more skin than if they'd been wearing tanks. Duh.

You'll usually see a table of college guys (or in Myrtle Beach, golfers) sitting next to the box where the girls stand to send their order papers across the wire into the kitchen. You can occasionally peek up a tshirt that way, I'd guess. ::eyeroll::

jubilee
10-10-2004, 07:43 PM
No, I'm in the Portland, OR area. And in fact this Hooters will be RIGHT across the street from a private Christian elementary. That's not where my son goes, but the placement is just odd.

Anyway, Thanks everyone for calming me down a bit! I'm not apt to go there, but at least I am more informed.

new_mommy25
10-11-2004, 12:29 AM
I wanted to add that I do think that is an odd location. Ours is in a shopping area that is mostly filled with restaurants.

kransden
10-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I have been to one. The food is ok. The girls aren't that undressed. Mostly they talk to loser men. Often groups of business men like to have lunch there too. The girls make really great tips. Some of the girls roller skate. It wouldn't really bother me to take my dd there, but evidently some are tamer than others kwim? I can think of a lot worse places to go to.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

tinkerbell1217
10-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Only been there twice, maybe 3 times. Pretty good wings. The girls wear short orange shorts (the old 70's silky kind) and tank tops that say Hooters. No biggie. I have seen kids at my DD high school wear shorter skirts and smaller tops than that! I wouldn't worry!