PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about frizzy hair (yes, laugh at me...)

lizajane
10-11-2004, 03:25 PM
if my hair is becoming a big poof and won't stay de-frizzed even with two kinds of products, is it just plain ol' time to get it trimmed? i am growing it long and haven't had it cut since january, except for a "mullet prevention" procedure. ;) i had someone cut the back off, but didn't mess with the layers or the front at all. if this sounds scary- it is just a little below the chin bob right now. but an AWFUL length on me, so i hate to cut it if i don't have to. but the poofy icky frizzy is driving me NUTS.

ALLEYCAT
10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Liza, I can not make a recommendation without a photo to go on, tee hee hee.

Katia
10-11-2004, 05:10 PM
LOL about the "mullet prevention"...but yeah, I think a trim would help a lot. Let the stylist know you're trying to grow it out, and hopefully s/he will just take enough off to tidy things up. Poofy icky frizzy is a way of life for me, so you have my sympathy! ;-)

mamagoosie
10-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Do you know about the Chi? It's an awesome ceramic straightening iron that (I think) is more gentle on your hair. (I got mine on EBay) Helps me a lot--but I try to only wash and dry every other day. And deep conditioning is key to containing the frizzies.

I also think it helps to rotate products--Have you tried Bumble & Bumble's "Straight"? It's a little pricey, but I think it really works. I've also had luck with Aveda products.

LOL about the mullet--I got a BAD haircut a few months ago and have been in mullet-containment mode ever since! It's the worst!

rottiemom
10-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Trimming off the dead ends will help but I have found that a spray in leave in conditioner will work wonders. I'm currently using Aussie's version but I know that Freeman Botanicals makes one as well that isn't too heavy. Citre-shine makes a shine mist that it awesome for defeating the frizz, but pricey (not salon pricey but pricey for me). Any conditioning product that you spray in & leave in helps to tame the matted nightmare that grows forth from my head without giving you the homeless person look.
I'm about 4 months past due for a haircut & on the verge of shaving it all off & starting over so I feel your pain. Good luck!

Nina

bostonsmama
10-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I second the recommendation for a straightening iron. I got one of the ones made for African-type hairstyles (I hope I've said that as eloquently as possible). They're just made so much better than other products.

I live in the South (on the water, no less), so it's either HOT and humid, or COLD and humid. And even though wavy hair/gentle curls are In Style this season, when I let my hair do its natural wave, all I get is frizzy, nasty, yuck. So, everyday, I wash/condition with Dove products, apply Paul Mitchell's Straight Works, blow out my shoulder length locks with a boar's hair 3" round brush, then go over the top strands with the straightening iron on med high (setting 10/12). I think it does the job pretty well.

Misha412
10-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Have you ever tried a combo of Phytyobrush shampoo and Phytodefrisant straightening balm? Expensive, but worth it! I get mine at either Sephora or Nordstrom, but I'm sure you can get it online too. It's a lifesaver!!

I am definitely going to try that ceramic straightening iron though...may be the last thing I need to get my wavy hair as straight as my hairdresser can!

Have a sparkling day my fellow curly-heads!

daisymommy
10-12-2004, 03:06 PM
I just bought a product that finally works and is cheap for my frizzy bi-racial hair. Garnie Fructus (sp?) at Target or Walmart, little round clear glass bottle with green pump. The entire hair care line is all bright green. The bottle of serum was only $5.99 and a little goes a looong way. I'v etried all kinds of stuff from the salon for up to $20, and nothing helped. But this stuff made my hair as sleek and shiny as the Pantene girl on TV! :)