PDA

View Full Version : tips for removing stains from white dresser?

mysweetboy
10-11-2004, 11:23 PM
I got the HoMedics Sound Spa to help DS sleep at night. Somehow the little black rubber pads on the bottom of it stained the top of our white Rumble Tuff dresser. I don't know how it happened but there are brown circular stains that are very noticable and won't wipe away w/soap & water. I'm not sure if anything will help but I'm willing to try. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try? Or if you know of any cleaning websites that have great tips, that would be great as well.

Thanks,
Lori
Mommy to Charlie, 5 months old!

August Mom
10-12-2004, 12:22 AM
I would try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those are great from removing marks from walls and other surfaces.

jubilee
10-12-2004, 01:05 AM
If it is the sticky residue from the pads, I'd recommend Goo Gone.

bostonsmama
10-12-2004, 12:42 PM
My sympathies. First of all, I would call the company's customer service line (Rumble Tuff), because they will know how to best remove stains from their finishes without marring the surface. Second of all, if you can't get it out and it REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bothers you, so much so that you can't put a doily, table runner, piggy bank or lamp over the offending area, you can lightly sand out the stains with fine sandpaper (DH recommends 600 or 800 grit). At that level, the paper shouldn't take off enough paint to need reapplication. If it does, you could touch it up...but it might never look right. Best of luck.

mysweetboy
10-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. The stains are set into the finish and nothing I tried worked. Larissa, I followed your advice and called RT. I love them! The wonderful woman I spoke with explained that there was a reaction b/w the rubber and the lacquered finish and there's nothing we can do. She then asked how long we've had the dresser (5 months) and offered to replace the top (we have the hi-lo combo) that is stained. She said this is a one time thing and I told her no problem, it won't happen again! So I just need someone from the store we purchased it from to call her and that's it....hopefully!

Thanks again,
Lori
Mommy to Charlie, 5 months old!

bostonsmama
10-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Yeah! I'm so happy for you! Don't you love when good things like that happen! I guess that's another testament to the excellent ratings that Rumble Tuff received for great customer service and a great product.

Let us know how it turns out. :)