PDA

View Full Version : teeth whitening strips - anyone use them?

JulieL
10-12-2004, 12:03 PM
As anyone used those crest whitening strips, or some other whitening system that you can buy at the store? If you have was it worth it? If it worked some, which one did you buy? I so wish I could aford the $400 or so to get my teeth bleached, but that ain't happening. My MIL used the crest strips and said they worked, but I'm still a little skeptical. Any thoughts?

aguinn
10-12-2004, 12:18 PM
julie,

3.5 years ago, in preparation for my wedding (can you say "vain"? heh heh) i paid the $400 to my dentist to have my teeth whitened, and i was only slightly impressed with the outcome. ETA: i didn't mean to make my original post sound like there was no change. the change was noticable, but i was expecting the most sparkling, vibrant white you could imagine, so i guess i just needed to adjust my expectations because what could i expect from my choppers after 30 years of constant use!

recently, my brother got married and i was to be in the wedding. i had a coupon for the 7-day crest strips, so i got them to touch up my previous whitening attempt. it worked great! i could see results in just a few days. although i liked the results, there were a couple reasons i did not finish the application. first, for the 7-day you have to apply it twice a day for a total of 1 hour. i know this might not seem too cumbersome, but it was difficult for me. second, i apparently have an allergy to the amount of chemicals (fluoride?) in the strips as i had a massive break-out all over the corner of my mouth while using it. it was gross, and it went away as soon as i stopped applying the strips.

also, if you have any enamel worn off your teeth (like from high temps when you were a kid - i have this), you might notice the white spots get significantly whiter. this will go away (and i'm pretty sure the literature that comes in the package addresses this, too).

if you decide to do it, i hope you enjoy your whiter smile!

;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Weaned @ 13 months

bostonsmama
10-12-2004, 12:21 PM
I tried to use the Crest Whitestrips. While I began to see results by day 4 of 14 days, that's all I could do. My teeth hurt so bad. They felt raw, porous, and sore. I don't normally have sensitive teeth, but I just couldn't stand it anymore. The peroxide was too strong! When I went to my dentist, he said my teeth are so white anyways that it wouldn't have made much a difference. Also, I had my front two teeth bonded, so it never did anything there. Good luck on your mission for a brighter smile...if you can take the soreness, you'll be pleased with the results.

aguinn
10-12-2004, 12:23 PM
yah, i forgot to mention the soreness and sensitivity in my post. i had that, too, but it goes away pretty quickly as soon as you stop the applications.

;)amy
proud momma to DS

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Weaned @ 13 months

loewymartin
10-12-2004, 12:45 PM
I used them for 3 days and had trouble eating/drinking so I stopped. My teeth were sooooo sensitive that I just couldn't finish them. I did notice that they looked much whiter though, even after a few "sessions". The sides of my mouth were cracked while using them and I think it was just the strength of the peroxide.

I may go back and finish the box but only use them once a day.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

mamahill
10-12-2004, 04:03 PM
I used the 7-day whitestrips and noticed some sensitivity by day 5. I took a day off and then finished. I was really motivated, though, because already people were making comments. And they're not kidding around when they say it takes years off your teeth. I have a filling on the side of a tooth that was put there 14 years ago. Now my teeth are slightly lighter than this filling that was put in to match my teeth (not SO noticeable - but I can see it under the right light).

You can get them in packs of 2 at Costco for about $45 (and a free tube of toothpaste!). Otherwise I think they're close to $30/each in the stores. I'm totally going to do it again - I thought they were great!

amp
10-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I read somewhere that you shouldn't use these while pregnant?

I keep thinking I'd like to try some, but the cost is prohibitive and I figured I can't use them now anyway. Tell me if that isn't the case. TIA!

octmom
10-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Anyone know if you shouldn't use them while breastfeeding either? I thought about trying them while pg, but thought I should wait until after DS was born. I'm still breastfeeding, so I have waited even longer now and have been thinking about it again.

TIA!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

brubeck
10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
I used the regular Crest Whitestrips after weaning DS and they worked really well. I didn't have any problems or sensitivity whatsoever. I have used them 2 more times since then (6 months apart) and have been very pleased with the results. Last year after Christmas I picked up a Crest Whitestrips gift pack at Target for $9.99: a set of Whitestrips, 3 small tubes of Whitning Expressions toothpaste and a toothbrush and toothbrush holder! A total steal.

I was at my dentist and even the assistants were telling me my teeeth were extra white. And they normally try to push the expensive bleaching packagae onto patients!

wendmatt
10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Dh and I both did the strips a few years ago and they worked really well, they did make my gums sore though. I just bought the colgate brush on gel last week as it was on special for $3.50 (bargain!). It's working really well. It doesn't make me sensitive at all, although it's a bit more annoying than the strips as saliva pools around the bottom teeth and feels like it's washing off the stuff. I haven't been doing it twice a day (I keep forgetting in the morning) but I can notice quite a big difference already, so I'd say give it a try, definately worth it. If moneys an issue, go with the colgate stuff, it's way cheaper and does a good job.

smilequeen
10-12-2004, 11:01 PM
My opinion would be that they work just fine. Not as well as what you can get at the dentist, but they still work. We'll see an average 3-4 shade difference with white strips, 6+ shades with the take home custom trays, and 8+ shades with an in office procedure. They are best for people who have fairly white teeth already and fairly straight teeth.

The downside is that you swallow a whole lot of the bleach with the whitestrips (this is an ICK from my perspective, but I get the one hour in office stuff for free so...) and they tend to have more of an effect on your gums b/c they are not custom fit and more bleach gets down on your gums.

Like any other kind of bleaching, no one can guarantee you any specific result. How much you can bleach depends on the natural shade of your teeth, the type of stains you have, how deep the staining is, etc. How long it lasts depends on your diet, oral hygeine practices, etc.

Any kind of bleaching works best if you start it right after you have your teeth professionally cleaned.

If your teeth get super sensitive, warming up with a fluoride mouthrinse for about 2 weeks before usually cuts down on that.

You shouldn't bleach while pregnant or breastfeeding. The safety has not been studied at all...and I definitely would skip the whitestrips in those cases b/c you do swallow SO much bleach in the process.

Melanie
10-12-2004, 11:17 PM
What about the other bleaching stuff you can buy with non-custom trays?

bostonsmama
10-12-2004, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the advice, Karen! I think I'll try your idea of pre-rinsing with a flouride solution for a week or two so I can finish up that quarter-used box of whitestrips before I get pregnant again. It's so nice to have a dentist on these boards!

JulieL
10-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks so much Karen, I was hoping you would be on to see this question :-)

jubilee
10-13-2004, 01:27 AM
several years ago I got the mouthpiece and gel bleaching system at a drug store- it might have been Rembrant brand, but not sure. I did it at night and when I woke up the next morning I was horribly swollen. My lymph nodes in my throat, back of neck, and my whole jaw area was hideously swollen. I went to the doctor and they just said to take benedryl until the swelling was gone. Finally after 3-4 days I was back to normal. Won't be trying that again...

wreckgirl1
10-13-2004, 04:21 AM
I used the Colgate paint-on stuff ($4-5 at Target). Works pretty well - my teeth do look whiter. I didn't have any adverse reactions, and I liked that you applied it to each tooth - better sense of control over where the chemical goes, but probably a bit more time consuming. And it doesn't taste too bad, either.

Cynthia

marit
10-13-2004, 08:35 AM
Not when you're pregnant and not when you're BFeeding (according to my OB). I am waiting for almost 3 years now (DD is 21 month and BFeeding) and now I'm pg again...