PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Find Time To Be On BBB Boards?

NoMSG
10-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm so curious.I feel like I never get any Mommy time even though my oldest is in pre-school.I'm barely on the boards because I'm so busy with the kids.

I see some mom's have over 1000 posts.Wow!How do you find the time?I wish I could but my kids keep me out and about doing their things.What are your kids doing while you're online and any advice on how to get more Mommy time?

jk3
10-12-2004, 01:49 PM
I only have one child so I am able to do some things for myself when he naps. Since I obviously can't leave the house while he naps I try to take a shower, clean, organize, chat on the phone + look at the boards. Additionally, I am up at night from time to time due to insomnia + during those times I watch tv, read + spend time here! The rest of the day we are generally out of the house at the park, at friends' homes or running to an activity.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

kitmama
10-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Only one baby here, too (well, not counting adults or pets!) and I usually snag a few minutes here and there when he naps or after he goes to bed. I also jump back and forth between the boards and work when I am on the computer. I could certainly be doing other things with my time, but I need something like this in my life- it helps keep me sane. :)

KrisM
10-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Only one baby here, too. Our computer is in the room next to DS's, so after I put him down for a nap or bed, I jump on the computer until I'm sure he's asleep. Then I move onto other things - shower, cleaning, etc. It also helps that we have cable internet, so it is always on and waiting for me!

mudder17
10-12-2004, 02:25 PM
I also only have one baby and that definitely helps. When she's napping, I like to do things for myself, including getting on the boards. I also cook, clean, shower, read, etc. When she's up, I'll take her for a walk, play with her, read to her, take her to play group, etc. I also tend to have insomnia and DD goes to bed these days at 5, so I usually have the evening free as well. DH and I will watch recorded shows at that time, and I hate just watching tv (goes back to my time as a teacher). So I'll be on the boards or answer e-mail during then. I used to grade papers/plan during tv time.

ETA: And yes, I need the support of these boards for my sanity. DH actually remarked the other day that I've learned some very useful things from these boards!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

amp
10-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Naps! Thank goodness for naps! I don't know what I will do when baby #2 comes and naps are all different. Yikes! I try not to worry myself with this one yet, but I am scared! I think I will forget how to use the computer!

Marisa6826
10-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Well, I currently have a 22m old, and I'm kind of on bedrest. I can't leave the house for more than an hour at a time, so I guess there's your answer. This is my only source of adult interaction for the most part!

We also have a wireless network with a laptop, so while Sophie's playing (she prefers to play independently), I'm here looking around.

You can try independent reading/play time for 10-15 intervals. I happen to prefer that Sophie isn't so dependent on me for entertainment because it's only going to get worse once Amelia arrives!

-m

daisymommy
10-12-2004, 02:59 PM
During Josh's 2 hour naptime, and the fact that I'm a night-owl who cannot fall asleep before 11 Pm. Joshua goes to bed at 7:30 pm, so once the dishes are done, whoo-hoo! It's Mommy's time to have fun! :)

Momof3Labs
10-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Same here! Plus, DH and I work virtually opposite shifts, so I am usually alone at night after Colin goes to bed (early). The board helps me feel a lot less lonely those nights.

JulieL
10-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm on the boards when I'm working: ok that sounds bad, but my job is to call my fathers business contacts and find out pertinant information for his company. I often am just sitting here waiting for the other line, that's when I skim and post, otherwise I would die of boredom!

mamahill
10-12-2004, 03:58 PM
First, I've been here for over 2 years. Second, I've got cable internet (a LOT faster than when I was on dial-up). Third, I have a 2.5 year old who not only takes a great nap, but plays by herself or with friends for hours. What is she doing? Playing with her kitchen, her Bitty Baby, her Little People, her cats, etc.

Plus, as others have said, DH knows this is my support group, so some time in the evening is a nice way to unwind.

chrissyhowie
10-12-2004, 04:07 PM
I check out the Boards while I'm at work, usually when I'm pumping or eating lunch. At home after Chloe's gone to sleep (b/t 8:30-9pm), I also tend to surf the internet to decompress my brain. I avoid the computer when Chloe's awake because it's a child-magnet and I can't keep her off the keyboard!

parkersmama
10-12-2004, 04:24 PM
I use naptime (while my older kids are at school). Also, Amy Grace sometimes watching her Signing Time videos or plays on the floor next to the computer. When she's awake and I'm on the boards, it's not a constant thing. I read a few posts, stop for a few minutes to play with her, change her diaper, move the laundry around, etc., and then read a few more posts. :) Also, like several others have mentioned, I get on the boards in the evening after the kids go to bed. I'm more of a nightowl than dh so this keeps me entertained.

octmom
10-12-2004, 04:40 PM
I check in for breaks while I am at work, especially when I am pumping. Also, I am still nursing DS and he falls asleep in my arms/ lap while nursing in the evenings, so I get on my laptop (wirelss connection) sitting up in bed with my son snoozing in my lap. I get to snuggle with him and catch up on all the latest good advice!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

mamagoosie
10-12-2004, 05:11 PM
I also post at work. Bad employee! Bad!

Seriously though, I see it as part of the work-life balance. I often check my work e-mail from home, so I see nothing wrong with checking the boards at work.

DebbieJ
10-12-2004, 06:00 PM
One baby, cable internet, and naps.

Actually, I should be washing dishes right now.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

toomanystrollers
10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
My desktop is in the kitchen - Grand Central Station :)

nwaddellr
10-12-2004, 07:09 PM
After dinner, my DH plays with my DS for a half an hour and I usually jump on the computer. Of course, during that time, I will often have a crying baby hanging on the baby gate whining while DH is sitting across the room calling him to play, but he does try to give me some computer time. Plus I get on during his morning nap.

barbarhow
10-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Right now I have 8 loads of laundry waiting to be folded on the dining room table. Oh yeah-there are 2 more in the laundry basket. I am a huge procrastinator and would much rather check in with the girls than do some of my mindless chores around here.
I also check in at work-some days if my patients don't show for their appointments I get some great time on here.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
expecting #2, a Yankee fan, around 5/9/05!

Sarah1
10-12-2004, 09:15 PM
I feel like I come on in spurts. Some weeks I'll come on a lot; others not so much. It just depends on what I've going on. Audrey naps predictably for a couple hours every day, though, so that's usually when I'll "stop by" the boards for 20 minutes. Sometimes I'll get online while she's watching a video or playing by herself, since our computer (desktop) is near everything.

Kieransmom
10-12-2004, 09:52 PM
This sounds like me. I get free time during his nap and after he goes to bed. (7pm) I really should be folding the piles and piles of laundry we have, but that's no fun!

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

C99
10-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I think I got most of my posts before I had a mobile baby. I spent 90% of my waking hours when Nate was a newborn sitting on the couch, nursing. So lots of time to have a laptop to surf the Web too. :)

Now, I get most of my posting time in when he's asleep, either during a nap or at night. I also check the boards briefly in the morning while he plays.

jubilee
10-13-2004, 02:07 AM
My main time on is after my family is in bed at night. I also check in during naptime.

new_mommy25
10-13-2004, 05:35 AM
I usually jump on in the morning while DH feeds Noah breakfast. I read my email and pop in here to check on any posts I made the night before. I don't usually read any new posts unless they jump out at me. Noah only takes one nap a day and it's usually about 2 hours. So I come on the boards and read most of the new posts in the Lounge and Baby Butts section and maybe a few others. Then I go about my day cleaning, doing laundry and stuff until Noah gets up. He usually goes to be aroun 8:00 and I don't go to bed until midnight or later so I'll surf the net and read all the new posts in most of the forums. I also have a few other boards I check in on, I use AIM with friends and family out of state, I check my Yahoo groups and such. I spend way more time on the internet than I watch TV. Plus in the evening DH gets home from work and plays Socom 2 for hours (online) so I have nothing else to do really. We have DSL so it's pretty fast.

lizamann
10-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Nora still likes to nurse a lot - so I do that at the computer for my sanity. She's also very into playing and exploring by herself, so for example, at the moment she's wandering about the house playing (or emptying out the wastepaper basket, or spewing the contents of my wallet all over the place...)

TraciG
10-13-2004, 01:02 PM
i'm also here during Sydney's naps or at night.