PDA

View Full Version : ultrasound tday and questions

ismommy
10-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Well, I am at 27 weeks and the contractions are getting harder and happening when I lie down and sit as well as stand and walk. SO my OB sent em for an ultrasound and so far no chnages which is great news. The radioligist saw a contraction and mentioned irritable uterus. Does anyone know what that means? I am still on modified bedrest and hoping to avoid meds.
X looks great and weighs 2 pounds 8 ounces according to the u/s. I am curious if there is a way to guestimate X's final wieght based on that. I though there was some formula to figure it out. For some reason 1/2 pound per week is in my head but that would meana 9 pound baby and that CANT be right.
So thats our prego update and I am just crossing fingers and toes that X stays put until at least 36 weeks and expect him/her to show up at 42 :)
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

chrissyhowie
10-12-2004, 05:48 PM
An irritable uterus is just a descriptive term for when someone has contractions but they are not causing cervical dilation. They should call it "irritable mom" instead since that's how I'd feel if my uterus were doing that all the time :P.

Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately guess the ultimate weight of the baby at term at this point in the pregnancy. Not to scare you, but 9lb babies aren't too uncommon these days so you never know! Here's to hoping that Baby X decides to hang out a good long while :).

calebsmama03
10-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Helene,
So sorry to hear you're still having difficulties! Great news that theres no changes though (assuming you mean dilation/shortening?) I was also told my uterus was "iritable" and my peri explained that as meaning it has a lot of "activity". Ie: if they put you on a ctx monitor there may be definite peaks/valleys (contractions) but also a lot of other smaller squiggley lines that aren't true ctx, but aren't the uterus muscle at rest either. Does that make any sense?

FWIW, although I did end up on meds I found eating LOTS of protein (like 100g per day - not easy when you don't like meat!) and drinking plenty of water (100oz per my peri) did help keep things calmer. I've recently been doing some herbal research and there are some herbs that are known to have a relaxing effect on the stomach and uterine muscles (cramp bark and squaw vine, I believe, can't find my link just now) and it seems to me this would have been beneficial for me (or someone on the brink of needing meds), but I haven't yet talked to any OB or MW about their use.

As for the gain issue, I had "Your pg week by week" and it generally said how much baby should gain each week, but I lent it out so can't look for you.
Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

kelly ann
10-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Helene-

I was diagnosed with an irritable uterus around 30 weeks - it was so painful to walk. I thought I was just carrying the baby low, but I guess my uterus was also cranky. I was put on immediate bedrest, but then went back to work part-time a week later.

I swore because of the cramps I was going to give birth prematurely, but DS was almost a week late (and that was after being induced)!!! Hope the contractions ease up very soon and baby X keeps baking away :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh girlie thoughts are so with you!!!!
lets hope an irritable uterus produces a calm and comforted baby "x" :) I think that is the research that I have seen on it :)...

We love you and are here for you keep us posted on things...
Hugs,
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

jk3
10-12-2004, 06:20 PM
I was diagnosed with that too at 26 weeks + was put on modified bedrest. I agree with PP about drinking lots and lots of water. I had contractions most of the time, even while lying down. It was not fun but even with all of the contractions, there were no cervical changes until I actually was put on Pitocin in the hospital at 36 weeks. I had steroid shots at 26 and 27 weeks to ensure lung development and I would recommend asking your ob about this if you haven't already. 28 weeks was a milestone for me, and then 30 + 32. I hope the next few weeks fly by for you.

I know I've posted about this before but truly the only thing that got me through the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy was taking Ambien nightly. I was able to get a solid 9 hours of sleep + I think it help weaken the contractions at night.

I'm really sorry you are going through this. It's not fun! I hope the situation improves.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

ismommy
10-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts an warm wishes.
Neve - baby X does seem pretty peaceful the radiolgists ooh and ahh over how "sweet" X is. X actually made the ok sign with his finger but we didnt get a pic of that. lots of other ones though.
Chrissy - will having irritable uterus hurt X at all and how do you knwo when the contractions do change. Or should I exppect lots of ultrasounds over the next few weeks?
I am keeping small goals in mind and will definilty feel better after 32 weeks.
again thanks everyone for your thoughts stories and advice.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

Marisa6826
10-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Helene-

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having a rough time. Hopefully Bella is being good to you.

I've been getting a lot more contractions than usual, as well, and have found that water and Gatorade make a difference. Also keeping an empty bladder helps.

As far as the 1/2 lb a week goes, I don't that that pertains till the third trimester.

Has OB mentioned another fibernectin test?

hugs

-m

starrynight
10-12-2004, 07:40 PM
I hope baby stays put until at least 36 weeks! I hope you can get some rest and get comfortable soon. {hug}

votre_ami03
10-12-2004, 07:44 PM
There is a 1/2 lb a week rule, but that happens later in pregnancy, can't tho remember exactly when.

Nolan was 9lb + 2 oz & he was a dream baby. Nothing wrong w/a big healthy baby. :) I had a relatively easy birth.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png

jubilee
10-13-2004, 02:15 AM
I wanted to second the "your baby week by week" by Curtis Glade MD. I really liked it. Hope you are able to avoid the meds! Keep your fingers and LEGS crossed! :)

trumansmom
10-13-2004, 03:27 AM
Big, big hugs! I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I started having contractions with DS around 27 weeks as well. Although they were bearable, they were definitely uncomfortable and got much stronger towards the end. Keeping hydrated and an empty bladder (hard to do at the same time!) was really important. Also, sticking to the modified bedrest helped a lot.

After several contractions an hour for months (and a few trips to the hospital for false alarms :P ), I delivered DS at 39 weeks 6 days. He was 9 lbs 2 oz.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

toomanystrollers
10-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Hey mama,
We're keeping everything crossed for you! If you need help, get yourself back up to your mom & dad's and we'll keep Bella entertained :)

cinrein
10-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Oh Helene! Sending many hugs your way and stay put vibes to baby X.

I'm not sure about the weight gain for baby, though you can probably find something on babycenter.com. I too think that the 1/2 pound per week is for the last trimester, and I'm thinking just the second half of the last trimester. Don't even worry about it though. Whatever size Baby X is for the grand arrival will be the perfect size. :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

ktdid74
10-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi Helene- sorry to hear you're still contracting. I had an irritable uterus, too. I have a bicornuate uterus so it's kind of divided in half and makes for lots of contracting. I had frequent sonos to measure cervical length. I was on mod. bedrest from 25 weeks on and was on the nifedipine until 37 weeks. The meds did keep my uterus a little calmer but the contractions never went away. Lots of fluids, keep your bladder empty- and Ambien works great- ask your doc!
The 1/2lb a week isn't until the last few weeks of pg- however it's still possible to have a 9lb baby :) Take care and take it easy!!