PDA

View Full Version : Updated list of what to avoid during pregnancy?

MommytoDylan
10-13-2004, 12:27 AM
I was craving a salami sandwich today and wondered if salami is considered a listeria risk?

Do any of you have a link to a list of chemicals, foods, etc. to avoid when you are pregnant? It seems like recommendations are changing constantly so I'm sure the books from my 1st pregnancy are now outdated.

Thanks for the help!

Meredith

SASM
10-13-2004, 12:32 AM
As of a month ago I was told that I couldn't do cold cuts and soft cheeses. I am assuming that is up-to date info from the OB :( I was quite bummed, because I, like you, have been craving spicy salami and capicola sandwiches and also baked brie. Of course they always have to be the things that we NEVER crave otherwise, right?

Good luck with the list and cravings! Hope you get some better news :)

Marisa6826
10-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Salami isn't a big deal, although you are technically supposed to be careful of lunchmeats due to nitrates. Of course, I have a sandwich just about everyday for lunch with Sophie, so I guess Amelia will be well preserved... I asked my OB about it and he said in moderation it's not a huge travesty. Try and stick to more organic stuff (they sell organic salami at Whole Foods).

The only foods I know you definitely need to avoid are excessive amounts of fish, no raw fish at all, raw eggs, soft unpasteurized cheeses and too much alcohol.

As far as chemicals go, I wouldn't expose myself to any unless I had to. Although I do have my hair done, along with paws and claws once a month. I just make sure that I'm in a well ventilated area.

-m

mharling
10-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Is this your announcement, Meredith???? If so, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

Bearhut
10-13-2004, 08:00 AM
From what I have heard, lunch meat is a risk due to listeria (same with soft cheeses). I know that if you heat the meat, it kills off the listeria. I'm not sure what temperature you have to heat it to, but if I remember correctly it isn't too high. Also with soft cheeses, you should be able to find some that are made with pasturized milk. If the milk has been pasturized, it should be okay.

Congratulations..........Heather

houseof3boys
10-13-2004, 10:02 AM
There are tons of soft cheeses now made with pasteurized milk. I just bought a baby brie (I think alouette brand) that is made with it and I had some feta the week before. Just start reading the packages. When you are out at a restaurant, I wouldn't order it since they would be using "authentic" cheeses. I miss mexican queso cheese!

bunnisa
10-13-2004, 10:35 AM
I think I recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Listeria is killed by heat, so if you thoroughly heat the lunchmeat or cheese (I'm thinking queso dip!), there is no worry.

Also, most cheeses sold in the States are pasturized (like the pp said, read the label), so they're not a concern.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

JElaineB
10-13-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm in agreement with most previous posters. Lunchmeats are considered a listeria risk, but many pregnant moms still eat them. If you want to be safe, heat them to steaming before eating. Technically ANY refridgerated deli food, processed food or cheese is a listeria risk. Even pasteruized foods can be contaminated after pasteurization. But the risk is low so for practical purposes most OBs just say to avoid soft cheeses like brie and similar, feta, queso blanco. Also raw meats should definitely avoided as they are a toxoplasmosis risk. Pregnant women and children should also avoid shark, swordfish, tilefish and king mackrel because of high mercury levels. I also avoided tuna because of mercury, but if you are wanting tuna the "chunk light" is better than the albacore. I also have heard it is a good idea to avoid raw seafood as well. I also avoided salad bars, maybe a little anal retentive but they can also be considered listeria (and E. coli.) risks.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

dowlinal
10-13-2004, 11:45 AM
I was told that all coldcuts have the potential for listeria because it can be transferred on the deli counters and the slicers. I had huge cold cut cravings and my OB said that I could nuke them and avoid any risk.

Jen in Chicago
10-13-2004, 11:52 AM
My Dr challenged me to find cheese that was not pasteurized and I could not, even at Whole Foods!

As far as deli meat, my Dr said to by the prepackaged kind b/c the temp can fluctuate at the deli counter.

My response is eat what you are craving! There is more you can eat than you can not. My Mom always said you need whatever you crave, especially if you are sick. When I am getting better from the flu I crave grilled cheese... I have never gotten sick once I crave it!

ddmarsh
10-13-2004, 12:47 PM
I very recently read an article discussing that pregnant women should not eat *any* seafood. It actually said that ideally none should be consumed for 6 months prior to conception. I know this is a change from my last pregnancy when the focus was just tuna and a few others (I don't know much about fish as I don't eat seafood).

Zansu
10-13-2004, 04:36 PM
I was checking for the new "rules" yesterday for my SIL, and read that deli meat should be heated to 165F.

Cheeses should be pasteurized; avoid imported cheeses that are not clearly marked. Most US-made will be pasteurized.

I ate sushi about once a month while pregnant, b/c I've never gotten sick from sushi, yet I've gotten very ill from chicken, which isn't on the forbidden foods list.

Everything you do while pregnant is a risk/benefit analysis. So decide what your risk level is, make your choices and enjoy them. :)