PDA

View Full Version : Tricks/tips for identifying teething (rather than another weird phase)??

Judegirl
10-13-2004, 01:34 AM
We need to know if this is really teething; we've been giving her stuff for it, which I don't want to do if she's not even teething!

Aside from seeing/feeling teeth coming through (I see nothing), how can I tell whether she's teething, as opposed to going through some phase or another? There are lots of signs, but they could be just other stages she's going through, I think...how do I know?

Anyone? Please?

Thank you,
Jude

blnony
10-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Usually, you can look at their gums and if they are red and swollen that is a big sign. Also, once the teeth get close to coming in you can kind of see them under the gum. Little white bumps.
Does the Tylenol give her any relief? If so, and you can't see any other signs of teething, it could be a little infection of some sort.
This is a hard phase, but I promise that it too will pass. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
10-13-2004, 01:40 AM
I think that the signs are probably different for each child. When Logan is teething, she gets a fever, drools, and chews on her hands, and wants to be held a lot. We know if she is trying to stick all her fingers in her mouth at once, she is probably teething. (when she was younger, she chewed on her hands all the time, so that was not a reliable indicator until she was older)

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

Judegirl
10-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Karen - Right! Riordan's been drooling and hand-chewing for months, so it's hard to know.

But she's been uncharacteristically clingy and fussy over the past week. Normally she's fine on her own for awhile, but lately she's only happy in someone's arms. And she's alternating between making a low groaning sound and downright yelling, pretty much constantly - but no tears.

We haven't tried Tylenol (holding out until I know for sure that she needs it), but have been using Hylands teething tablets and camilia, both of which seem to help a little bit, but they would help her calm down even if teething weren't the problem, so I worry that we're just "drugging" her!

We see two bumps under the front of the top of her gums, but nothing from the bottom of the gums. She is loving sucking on cold things; that could also be because she wants to eat everything, but the ice-in-the-nipple really does seem to help. She also has a runny/stuffy nose and a slight temperature.

Today seemed easier for her than the past several, yet no teeth in sight. Does it go in cycles like that?

I'm soooo confused. If only I could see a tooth part...then at least I'd know that's what this is...

Thanks for reading all of this babble!

Jude

s7714
10-13-2004, 01:51 AM
O.k., not much help probably, but honestly DD has had different symptoms with different teeth. With her front teeth (top and bottom), I couldn't even tell they were working their way in until they almost broke the surface (no bumps/redness/etc.) BUT she drooled like a leaky facet. With her molars, there was obvious redness, swelling and bumps, but no drooling. In all cases, she usually had a very slight fever for a day or two around the surfacing of the tooth. Also, she tends to get unusually clingy when she's teething as in she doesn't seem to be in real pain, but she just doesn't want me going out of sight.

I agree with the PP that if you aren't seeing a difference when you give her tylonel or whatever, then I'd stop giving it to her. If it does make a difference, then I say go ahead since it's making her feel better.

HTH,
Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

Judegirl
10-13-2004, 01:58 AM
Jennifer - I don't know if I've just never seen your posts before...but what a gorgeous name your daughter has! I love it! Where did you get it?

Jude

cinrein
10-13-2004, 09:13 AM
In our experience, once they break through the gums the symptoms lessen dramatically. I agree with the other posters that the symptoms vary. Teething has been very hard on us, so you have my sympathies. Anna gets very drooly (thought I didn't know this was teething drool until she was old enough to not constantly drool), irritable, congested, chews on fingers, gets loose stools, and loses her appetite. Pretty much the same symptoms as a cold! Sometimes we saw a bump, but most of the time we didn't.

I too always hated to give Anna stuff if she really didn't need it. My test was to try giving her Motrin. If she slept better, then I know it was her teeth that were bothering her (or some other pain). Sometimes the Motrin didn't make a bit of difference, so then I concluded that something else was going on in her little head. For us, Motrin was much better for teething then Tylenol--the Tylenol didn't do a thing.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

amp
10-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Jude - Unfortunately this, like so many other parental things, has no concrete answer. I have to say taht when DS is teething, it has been a little different each time. And there have been times that I have wondered if we are medicating appropriately. But I asked the doctor and she said that as long as I'm not exceeding the dose, or giving it consistently for more than a week or so, then I shouldn't worry and to let it offer him some relief. So, if it seems to work, we use it. If he isn't fussy or it hasn't helped the last time, we don't, and that way we keep from medicating him constantly.

Drooling, chewing on hands, swollen red gums, white buds beneath the surface of the gums, etc are good indications for us, but it alwasy seems to show up differently behaviour-wise.

Good luck!

aliceinwonderland
10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Yea, I am in the same exact boat. Not sure whether DS is teething, or whether his fist just tastes too yummy.

s7714
10-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks! It's just a combination of names I came up with. I really liked Lia, but it was too short, so I added Anna to it and just liked the way it sounded.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

daisymommy
10-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Jude,
I personally would say that YES she is teething! You said you see 2 bumps under the front of the top of her gums. In most babies, they get their top teeth first (I know Joshua did).

Also, the chewing on things, drooling, clinginess, moaning ang groaning (imagine a dull throbbing ache in your mouth for months!), the slight temperature, and stuffy/runny nose are all symptoms of teething.

Other signs you may not be aware of being related: red bumpy rash around her chin/jaw/cheeks, diaper rash from acidic poopy, and ear ache/infection (saliva backs up into their eustachian tubes).

I really hate to tell you this, but sometimes it can take 1-2 months of the teeth moving a little bit, then stopping, then moving a little bit and stopping till they finally break through the skin. Then about a week later, there is some relief!

I would continue with the pain relivers (the Hyland's teething tablets did nothing for Joshua, only Motrin), the cold teething rings, and lots of hugs!

Judegirl
10-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Egads, Amy....but thank you for telling me!

Yes, we're pretty sure she's teething now also. She's also waking up about every 2 and a half seconds. Does teething baby = tired baby? Poor thing. :(

My hope is that the teething actually started some time ago - some of these symptoms are not new, and that it's worse now because the teeth are about to come in...any chance?? We all need some sleep!

*yawn*

Jude

daisymommy
10-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Yes, their sleep is usually pretty poor because they are in constant pain and discomfort. So, they are doubly cranky :( Also, it hurts them to lie down flat because the pressure backs up from their jaws into their ears (it's a gravity thing). So, if she wants to be held upright alot and not lay down, that's probably why. Poor thing! Sorry I don't have any tips for dealing with that. Joshua slept with us for the first year, so when it hurt him to lie faly he slept on my chest (I was on 2 pillows, so at an incline), or he slept in the bend of my arm (still an incline). That seemed to help him.

mudder17
10-16-2004, 12:58 AM
Oh, my, maybe DD is finally going to get her teeth too! She's had the drooling, chewing on everything for quite a while, but lately when you put her horizontal (usually to change her, but also on the bed when I'm about to nurse her), she'll immediately start crying until I pick her up or distract her with nursing or some other method. She has what looks like eczema or even ringworm on her chin and side of her mouth. She's been getting some rashes every time she poops (although fortunately they go away with triple paste). But she doesn't seem to mind being horizontal if she can be on her stomach. I'm not sure how that changes things, if it does. But I'm also wondering if her fussiness is related to a developing sense of separation anxiety. It's so hard to tell with babies. Sometimes I really do wish they came with instructions! :P

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

daisymommy
10-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Eileen--sounds like teething to me! If you consider that when she is on her tummy I'll bet she holds her head up. It's when they lay down the other direction (on their back) that all the pressure goes backwards and causes pain. Just like when you have post-nasal drip and it goes down your throat (sorry, gross, I know, but you get my point!).