PDA

View Full Version : OT...How do I get wax out of a stuffed animal?

SeekerMage
10-13-2004, 02:45 AM
HELP! DH got wax all over DD's Moose stuffed animal (the one she got when her sister was born and therefore pretty important) Is there any way to get it off? It is made of that suede like feeling material (Its the Moose you could buy from Kohls for $5)

Should I just look into getting another and get over my emotional attachment or try and fix this one? I have heard of ironing it over a paper bag but not sure how that would work since its a stuffed animal....any ideas?

Judegirl
10-13-2004, 02:50 AM
I'm not familiar with the material you're describing, but I know of two possibilities:

1 - Iron it over a sheet of waxed paper (I never heard the paper bag thing, but that might work too), little by little, until you can peel it off.

2 - (Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write:) Stick the moose in the freezer for a few hours, and see if you can slice the wax off then.

If the wax is colored, both methods will retain the dye on the fabric, unless it's a very dark moose...

Good luck!

Jude

jubilee
10-13-2004, 04:28 AM
I was going to suggest putting an ice cube in a baggy, and placing that on the wax until it is as hard as possible. Then take a butter knife (or plastic knife) and try scraping the wax off.

zen_bliss
10-13-2004, 06:37 AM
freeze and chip off as much as you can, then do the paper bag method. the paper bag absorbs the wax as it melts. it works very well but you have to be careful not to melt the moose's fur in the process. we had a big wax spill on the carpet and part of a sweater, and it took care of it nicely. put the paper bag between the wax and the iron. i recommend folding the bag into 2 or 3 layers so you don't just end up with a waxy iron. when one area is saturated, move to another part of the bag, or have another one ready to go.

KrisM
10-13-2004, 09:20 AM
I had a big spill onto carpet and did the iron trick, but used paper towels. That worked well, too.

Marisa6826
10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Freeze the animal and then you can peel the wax off.

-m

jec2
10-13-2004, 02:27 PM
You might try dipping it in hot water. Or, use the paper towel/warm iron.