PDA

View Full Version : OT - favorite pocketbooks

KrisM
10-13-2004, 09:18 AM
I need a new pocketbook (purse). I've fixed the one I have twice and it's falling apart again. I have the hardest time finding one I like. Does anyone have a favorite that they go back to again and again?

I don't carry much - cell phone, PDA, small wallet with credit cards and license. I like to have the front zipper area to hold cash and other cards (library, Sam's Club, etc). I just can't find one that works well. I hate shopping for this!

jamsmu
10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I'd post on the Diaper Bags Forum. There seem to be some good bag hunters there!

MelissaTC
10-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I know they are pricey but I love Coach. I have bought other bags and used them for awhile, but I always go back to my 2 favorite bags which are Coach bags. Love them, love them, love them!

C99
10-13-2004, 11:14 AM
I don't carry a purse anymore -- just one bag that serves as both a diaper bag and a purse. Right now, I'm carrying an $11 "man bag" from H&M. I've had it for a year and it's still in great shape. On any given day, it holds my wallet, cell phone, inhaler, granola bar or two, fruit snacks or two, 2 cloth diapers or 3-4 disposable diapers, Nate's cup and loose paperwork/change.

I haven't heard someone refer to a purse/bag as a 'pocketbook' since my grandmother died in 1993!

ddmarsh
10-13-2004, 12:42 PM
I have a new Kate Spade that I am finding to be a great mommy purse. It is called the "Tracy" bucket bag and is just the perfect size - I can add a diaper and wipes when I need to but it isn't a huge bag. I also love that it is nylon and can be easily cleaned.

kelly ann
10-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Kris-

I call them pocketbooks as well! One of my favorites is a brand called Furla. I bought mine in Italy a few years ago because I saw their stores everywhere and figured they must be good. Well, I love it and I think you can find them in some department stores in the U.S. I have even seen them discounted at DSW shoe warehouse.

I used to buy Coach all the time, but now I am thinking that I may want to try something comparable next time like a Dooney.

If you want something more casual and less expensive...I have seem some really cute The Sak bags in the stores - some are even multi-colored.

Marisa6826
10-13-2004, 12:56 PM
My Coach bags. I now have three of them. A little black demi with a zipper, a little canvas tote for summer and my new leather small tote I got for my birthday.

They may cost a bit more, but they are classics I will have forever, they last and Coach will do repairs for $20.

-m

KrisM
10-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Are you from the Boston area? I picked up "pocketbooks" from my husband and his friends and family - all from the Boston area. I always called them purses before. I don't know why pocketbooks stuck, but it did.

I'm looking at some of the suggestions. I never knew how expensive Coach is! I think I should look in a store to see how good they really are.

Thanks.

Buffys Mommy
10-13-2004, 10:33 PM
If you can find a coach outlet you can often get great bargains on their bags. Their quality is impeccable. I have a wallet that is 4 years old - used daily for over two and still looks almost brand new.

My current purse is a $15 Rosetti brown purse that DH bought for me at Sears. The front side has a cel phone pocket and a small pocket that my PDA fits into. The back side has a zipper that has tabs for cash, checkbook, an agenda, a coin holder, etc. The middle is big enough that I can fit sunglasses, lipstick, a small notepad, etc. I've had it for about 8 months and it's held up great. Plus it's small enough that I can easily throw it in the diaper bag when I'm carrying it, but I can easily carry it on it's own when Sarah's not with me.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

new_mommy25
10-13-2004, 11:18 PM
My current purse is a LeSportsac which is perfect, but my dream bag would be a Fendi. I love them. If you want an inexpensive leather purse try Aldo.

jbowman
10-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Furla bags are the best! I love them!

LD92599
10-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Another vote for Coach! I love my Coach bags!!! Prior to DS I was using a Coach backpack purse. Now I'm using (and loving...i didn't think i'd like it as much as i do!) the Coach Mini Hamptons Weekend tote. It's small...but i can fit everything I need, the inside is vinyl (?), it zips shut, etc. I also have and use one of their new slim bags (not sure of the exact name but they are about $100) in red leather. I love it for when we're in crowded places since I can wear it over my shoulder. Plus the strap detachs so I can slip it into the diaper bag if need be!

On occasion, you can get Coach stuff in Costco and BJs (I got my backpack in Costco!) and once-in-a-blue-moon in Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Best bet is their own outlet though!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]