PDA

View Full Version : DS chewed on an alkaline battery :(

cvharris
10-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Yesterday morning DS was playing in our family room (where we keep all his toys) while I was getting his breakfast together in our adjoining kitchen. I looked over at him and noticed he was chewing on something - which is strange for him, he normally chews on his fingers but not on his toys and I'm wondering what could be in his mouth. I open his mouth and see him chewing on a AA battery! Then I see the remote control on the floor with the battery compartment open and no batteries in it - and I can't find the other AA battery that was in there. So, in a panic, I'm searching for it, wondering if he could have actually swallowed it? I can't find it, and so I'm panicking and asking him what happened to the other battery, but of course he doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

So, I call our peds office, which just opened, and tell the nurse the situation. She doesn't think that he could have swallowed it without choking. She tells me to give him some food and drink, and to see if he gets sick. She also has me phone poison control - even if he didn't swallow the other battery he could have been poisoned from chewing on the first battery.

So, to cut off my long story, I ended up finding the other battery underneath our sleeper sofa after lots of manual labor. Poison control had me look at his mouth for any sores, but there weren't any. He ate and drank just fine. I'm guessing he only chewed on it for a small time, since there aren't many teeth marks and he has a mouth full of teeth. The last of his two year molars broke in recently, and I'm wondering if that is why he's taken to putting things in his mouth again?

Just thought this would be a good reminder to everyone to keep those remote controls away from your babes. And to secure anything that has batteries that a little one could get to.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

Marisa6826
10-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Oh Jeez!

Remember when it was just the dogs we had to worry about eating stuff? ;)

Glad Ben is OK!

hugs

-m

toomanystrollers
10-13-2004, 02:11 PM
What is it about men and the clicker??? Glad to hear Ben's ok!