PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac? I hate car shopping!

jd11365
10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
DH just isn't in love with the CR-V. He's had a pick up truck for 10 years, and it's more his style. So today, he mentions he likes the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Ok...not great on gas, but terrible....16/20. Anyway, I happen to come across one when doing a quick search and found one locally being sold privately by a retired man, in a nice neighborhood, garaged...loaded. All the bells and whistles we normally might not have afforded...leather for one a hard top for the truck bed for another. Is a 2002, but only has 8,900 miles. The guy said he's retired so only drives to golf and the store...which I guess is obvious by the mileage. Anyway, he's asking $1,000 less than Kelly Blue Book private party value, so it seems like a great deal to me. DH would be so much happier with this vehicle than the CR-V. I didn't really want a used car, but at 8,900, it's not very used. If you have one, do you like it? Do you think I should even consider this?

I hate car shopping!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

lynettefrancois
10-13-2004, 10:39 PM
My mom was looking at that model UNTIL she found it had the worst crash test rating in its class. I haven't checked it out myself to be sure, but I would if I were you. HTH!

teddy
10-14-2004, 01:15 AM
I just read about a website called www.motherproof.com, which "helps moms, especially those with young children, make informed car-buying decisions." Things like how many car seats fit across the back, does it fit a double stroller in the trunk, how many sippy cups can it hold, etc... I haven't checked it out yet since I JUST saw the article in the paper today. Hope it helps someone, though. What a good idea!

HannaAddict
10-14-2004, 01:36 AM
It flunked the most recent roll-over "fish hook" test, where they drive through sharp turns to mimic panic conditions. That said, we drove one as our rental car in Hawaii and liked it. What I liked is that you can store all your junk (stroller, grocery bags, surf board, etc.) in the truck bed under a hard cover and not in the passenger compartment where those things could become projectiles in an accident and hurt a baby in a carseat. It was nice to drive, very comfortable.

ellies mom
10-14-2004, 06:10 AM
I can't speak to weather or not you should buy an Explorer, but buying a newer low milage used car can be a good idea. Especially if you are looking at a domestic car, they lose so much of their value in the first few years. You can get so much more car for the money (like you may have noticed). That car is new enough and with such low milage that I would seriously consider it.

ETA- Where was www.motherproof.com when I was looking at cars? Ahhh. Oh well, too late now. What a cool site.