PDA

View Full Version : IS there no one to talk about LOST?

flagger
10-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Spoilers for the west coasties

Was that a fantastic "Reveal" or not? Talk about a real miracle? Did you see that coming? Ok I do have questions, why do you burn up part of your shelter? Why not just pile the bodies and Pyre them up? Did the beast kill the boar and Locke just brought it back? Did anyone get the name of his character John Locke and the connection to last week's episode which was Tabula Rasa. Go put those four words into your Google sometime for hints about the show.

And word to the Office Space shout-out!!! Up yours and your TPS reports!!!

amp
10-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Okay, I am a little miffed that I missed mostly the entire show tonight. I did see the very end where they revealed the guy was in the wheelchair. And then he crashed and can walk? How the heck did that happen? Now, the boar, I hadn't thought of the beast killing it, but they did say it was coming right at him, so maybe that is what happened. Good thought! They keep showing all kinds of stuff over again on Saturdays, so maybe I'll catch it then.

flagger
10-13-2004, 11:58 PM
They first showed Locke looking at his shoes as a flashback to just post crash. The next flashback showed him in a cubicle and getting a call for "Col. Locke this is GL-12". Next you see his boss asking about TPS reports. Next flashback he is in a lunch/breakroom playing some psuedo-Risk game with his co-worker "GL-12". I think Locke saw the thing but will not reveal what it is because of his miracle, just like a certain group will not reveal about the 16 year french message. I do want to know how someone who had been in a wheelchair for at least four years can get up and just start walking with atrophied muscles, etc.

And the creepy suited guy that Jack saw. I wonder why he was wearing tennis shoes? Why were there no footprints? A hallucination perhaps?

JMS
10-14-2004, 12:43 AM
I saw bits and pieces but it definitely pulled me in tonight. Although I wonder how long they can carry the whole "lost on an island" thing on for... unless, it's some sort of Bermuda triangle/third dimension thing???? Again, I have not seen any of the 3? episodes in their entirety but I love all the unanticipated twists.
I want to know!!!!, mainly what/who is in the jungle, and who is that guy the Dr keeps seeing? And, what crime did that girl commit? And maybe is John a little nutty (ie. faked the whole wheel chair thing.. I know long shot), but he is seemingly in love with a phone-sex operator (Helen). Oh, and the Dr and the criminal (accused) are so obviously going to hook up.

Flagger, I'm too tired to have gotten your connection.. but keep them coming. :) Oh, and I think they burnt the plane possible for rescue potential.

twinmama
10-14-2004, 01:37 AM
I am really loving this show. I taped it and when the guy said TPS reports, I rewound to make sure I had heard it right, too funny!

My theory about the people and the island changes each time I see the show. When the lady on the beach said, "My husband's not dead," it made me think that all the "survivors" we've seen are actually dead, and that the island is a form of pergatory. The people who didn't survive the crash are people who have gone on to heaven or hell. That was my theory right after the show ended, but reading about JOhn Locke and Tabula Rasa made me rethink everything. Also, I have no idea what the monster is or where it fits into any of my theories. I've taped every episode so far, so I'll probably rewatch this weekend. I can't remember the last time I was so into a TV show!

Lisa

obsessed LOST fan and mom to 15 month old twin girls

flagger
10-14-2004, 02:48 AM
The title of next week's episode is White Rabbit. You would have to be a Jefferson Airplane fan to make the connection to the upcoming show. If you absolutely must, you can see promo photos with heavy heavy spoilers here:

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=16

I know you have posted your "lists" in the past. I told Ms. Flagger last week that I would not kick Evangeline Lilly (Kate) out of bed for eating crackers. :D

Raidra
10-14-2004, 09:09 AM
We love Lost! We stopped watching That 70's Show in favor of it. :) Is it just me or does that hour go by really fast?

I heard that if you watch it frame by frame, zoomed in, you can see that all their watches are stopped at 3:15.

I think they're in some sort of Bermuda triangle type place. Could the other people from the plan be in some sort of alternate dimension, and that's where the woman's husband is? Maybe that's where the suited guy is/was, and why he disappears? Kind of like the Tor in Mists of Avalon..?

Who knows.. it is fun speculating, isn't it?

houseof3boys
10-14-2004, 09:52 AM
I do like this show a lot. I think the character development thus far has been good. I even said last night to DH when they showed Locke staring at his foot, "he has new shoes on why is he looking at them?" It was an interesting twist and plays into his whole thing about what his destiny is.

I refuse to google. I love the element of surprise with these JJ Abrams shows!

MelissaTC
10-14-2004, 10:12 AM
I so laughed when the character Randy was asking for the TPS reports. "Um...yeaaaa....rrrright. I am going to need you to come in tomorrow..." LOL. I love "Office Space".

We are totally LOVING Lost. I thought it was interesting that the character's name is John Locke. I too want to know what Kate has done. I think this is a great show because it keeps me wanting more! Can't wait until next week.

And unlike some, I *LOVE* spoilers so thank you all for the spoilers!

amp
10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
I was thinking hallucination. And then in the previews for next week he mentions he thinks he might be going mad. I dunno.

flagger
10-14-2004, 10:53 AM
>...and who is that guy the Dr keeps seeing?

He is the doctor's father. I still do not understand why he was wearing tennis shoes.

Raidra
10-14-2004, 11:25 AM
I had seen people speculating about that, but I hadn't heard that it was definite.

This might be really stupid, but when I commuted into Boston to go to school, I saw people in business suits and sneakers all the time.

flagger
10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
It was definite according to the promos run on CTV in Canada. Also, if he is dead, they don't bury people wearing shoes. So why is he wearing sneakers then, on an island no less?

nwaddellr
10-14-2004, 12:15 PM
>Was that a fantastic "Reveal" or not? Talk about a real
>miracle? Did you see that coming?

Totaly did not see that one coming. This is a great show!!

>do you burn up part of your shelter? Why not just pile the
>bodies and Pyre them up?

Then you have to touch all the bodies, and it wasn't really part of their shelter since it wasn't very stable (and full of bodies up to this point). I think it was easier to burn it than use it - and they still aren't thinking long term stay.

Did the beast kill the boar and Locke
>just brought it back?

I totally think the beast killed the boar. Locke definitely saw it and obviously isn't sharing. (Although I'm DYING to know what it looks like, as I'm sure everyone else is.)

This is definitely a Bermuda Triangle type place, considering the french lady's message has been playing for 16 years and hasn't been heard. I'm still debating about whether or not the guy the doctor saw is real or not - leaning toward real just because of the nature of the show.

JMS
10-14-2004, 12:52 PM
>I know you have posted your "lists" in the past. I told Ms.
>Flagger last week that I would not kick Evangeline Lilly
>(Kate) out of bed for eating crackers. :D

HA! After the show ended, DH said to me that he may have to reevaluate his list.. no kidding!

My fear is that I'll get so pulled into this show and then the network will yank it. I've been too preoccupied with other polls to concern myself with the nation's TV viewing patterns. :) I just hope it's a hit in the mainstream. I love shows that make you think and leave you wondering. It reminds me of Push, Nevada (in that I was left with a similar feeling). I wasn't on the BBB at that point, but I'm sure you were all discussing that show then. I loved that show and I couldn't believe they pulled it. :(

Hallie_D
10-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Another fan here. DH said the same thing about the beast killing the boar. I asked him why the beast would kill the pilot and not Locke, and he thinks the beast only kills people who are injured. But then you'd think that it would have been pretty busy on the beach...

I think they burned the plane because they hoped the fire would be visible as far away as possible. Also, imagine how horrible it smelled in there and although they haven't addressed it, think about the fly situation. I don't think they could ever clean it out enough to prevent flies/boars from investigating the smell of decay.

Emmas Mom
10-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Can someone PLEASE just explain to me what you guys are talking about with the Tabula Rasa (what IS that??) & what you think is going on. I like watching this but am really confused. :(

flagger
10-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Jack said it in that episode but here is a link that explains it in layman's terms. I am using inviso-mouseswipe text over parts of it so those who do not want to know can remain spoiler free.

http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Biographies/Philosophy/Locke.htm#Tabula

"Ultimately, in his acceptance of the existence of God, Locke was a dualist -- though only barely so; he did not consider man to be a divine creature fixed with ideas on coming into this world. Locke was an empiricist, viz., all knowledge comes to us through experience. "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." There is no such thing as innate ideas; there is no such thing as moral precepts; we are born with an empty mind, with a soft tablet (tabula rasa) ready to be writ upon by experimental impressions. Beginning blank, the human mind acquires knowledge through the use of the five senses and a process of reflection. "

McQ
10-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks Flagger! I so want to know, but don't want to know.

I'm loving the whole mystique of the show. I don't think it'll be canceled because it's getting good ratings. And only getting better.

I was on the floor with the whole TPS thing. Dying! Terry O'Quinn (wheelchair guy) was in a couple eps of Alias so JJ must like him. We've liked him since Millennium - another one of those out there shows that got canceled before it's time.

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

flagger
10-14-2004, 07:25 PM
I found this info over on TWOP

My husband translates the Korean for me as we watch the show, so I'll do my best to remember. BTW, he says DDK can't speak Korean for sh*t, but that the woman is very easy to understand.

After Mercutio's pantomime request: "Yes, I'll watch your son for you." Didn't seem to be any hint that she didn't understand him completely and easily.

To Walt, after Mercutio leaves: "Don't worry, your dad's going to be OK."

Raidra
10-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Did I miss something about your post? I thought I knew how to highlight the spoilers.. hrm..

Marisa6826
10-15-2004, 12:56 AM
"Mercutio" is also Augustus Hill from Oz (he was in the wheelchair with dreds on Oz).

-m

flagger
10-15-2004, 01:23 AM
Well you know how snarky some of those folks at TWoP can be!

suribear
10-15-2004, 02:15 AM
Darn you, Flagger! I saw this thread and tuned in to see what it is all about. Oh dear!! I might be hooked now, though I am thoroughly confused as to what's going on!!

Thanks for doing the spoilers that way, so they don't show up to everyone. I hate spoilers as it spoils the fun for me :)

Kris