PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot Worries!!

newmomto1
10-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Augh!
My peds office ran out of them before DS got his, DH & I were unable to get them....I AM WORRIED!
Is there anyone else out there in my shoes?? What are your plans??
There is *ONE* place giving pediatric shots in my area this weekend...first come, first serve. So far, the adult clinics have been running out with lots of people left over!
My DH & I are planning on getting there in the middle of the night to get in line with DS (it starts at 9 am)
I also have a 70 year old mother who has not been able to find one yet.
Is anyone else scared about this or am I over reacting???????????

urbanmama
10-14-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm worried about it too. Luckily, my girls were able to get theirs. DH and I will not likely be able to get ours and it really bothers me. I've had the flu (the actual flu-- not a bad cold/virus that many people call the "flu") and it was HORRIBLE, so I ALWAYS get the flu shot. I feel so "exposed" knowing that I can't. But, at least the kids were innoculated.

I actually *could* get it, but I don't want to take the vaccine away from someone who truly needs it. Although if there ends up being extra left over late in the season, I'm there!

My sister's daughter (8 months old) got her first one, but won't be able to get her second one.

I would definitely try to get your son innoculated, but be aware that he will need 2 shots (given one month apart) to be completely protected and that is not likely to happen. I'd at least try to get that first shot though.

daisymommy
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Does it make you feel any better to know that CDC itself (Center for Disease Control) rated the vaccine last year as being only 18% effective? So really, you aren't missing out on much.

Boost your kids and your immune system with other methods if you can't get the shot. Lots of Vitamin C,A,E Zinc, and Eccinacea, & hand washing.

newmomto1
10-17-2004, 01:35 AM
DS got his flu shot today...YAY!
I am so relieved...but SOOOO tired!
People (mostly senior citizens) have been waiting in lines 7-10+ hours in my area waiting for shots & people are still getiing turned away without one.
There was only ONE pediatric clinic set up in my city & it was scheduled for today at 9:00am. DH & I packed up the car & DS and got to the parking lot a little after midnight last night to ensure that DS would be one of the first ones (I am SO NOT USUALLY THIS WAY!)
What a LONG NIGHT we had in the car..DS DID sleep most of the time though, thank goodness!!...DS was #2 out of hundreds in line...and....he & DH were on the news!!!! (I hid from the camera 'cause after a night in the car, I was looking real bad!)
I know it's not a guarantee he won't get sick...but if he DID get the flu & I didn't feel like I did everything I could I would feel VERY GUILTY!
Just thought I'd share :-)

KrisM
10-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm in Michigan and by law, I am not allowed to get one this year, since I am not in the high risk category. Unfortunately, DS won't get one either, since the peds office figures they'll all be gone before he hits 6 months in 2 weeks.

I'm not terribly worried. My son isn't in daycare, which I think lowers the risk. I probably wouldn't have gotten one for myself, even if the law allowed, so that other higher risk people could get one. We'll probably avoid being indoors with lots of people, if we can. Other than that, we'll do our best to stay healthy!

Hopefully, next year will be different.

Judegirl
10-17-2004, 07:39 PM
We weren't getting one anyway. I agonized over it for a little while, since dh works with young children and often catches something, but in the end we decided not to do it.

We're going to be extra careful about handwashing and the like during flu season...I was antioxidant-crazy during pregnancy, and dd is on breastmilk exclusively. I'm hoping all of that will help.