PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question but does DS need Bib for birthday cake?

jec2
10-14-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm busy making the last minute list of things for DS's birthday. We don't use bib because honestly, DS rips them off immediately. But, this whole birthday cake mess makes me wonder about the necessity of a bib. What should I use? Any suggestions? (DS's party is this saturday so online shopping is out).

C99
10-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Nate wouldn't (and still won't) wear a bib either. So our options were either to change him in the middle of the party or take his clothes off. If it wasn't January, we likely would have stripped him down. As it was, we just took his shirt off after cake.

mandye
10-14-2004, 02:48 PM
For DD's birthday cake we just stripped her down to her diaper. Then, when she was done we hosed her down, literally (she made quite a mess), and then gave her a quick bath to get all the greasy frosting remnants off.

Mandy

jec2
10-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Good idea! So then maybe I should just bring a change of clothes. He's probably going to wear a romper so I'll have to change the whole outfit...which is actually a good plan I think. His buddy's cowboy party is immediately after his own so I can put on his Gymbo Jr. Cowboy duds so "if" we make it to his, he'll be in theme :)

pamela mom of 3
10-14-2004, 02:51 PM
My son HATED bibs couldn't keep them on him for a second...so honestly we just moved to either no shirt or just left him in his shirt if the food didn't stain.

good luck & Happy birthday to your ds! ;)

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/36o/1.png[/img][/url]

ddmarsh
10-14-2004, 02:53 PM
If you really wanted one of the long-sleeve bibs that we've had to co-op for and wanted it overnighted I'd be glad to pick one up and send it out to you in the morning. I know it would be an extra expense but just thought I'd offer.

Oh BTW I'm talking about these:

www.abetterbib.com

bunnisa
10-14-2004, 02:58 PM
I second what Mandy said!

We had a bib for DS, but there was frosting everywhere - even on me! He didn't much like the cake, but apparently the frosting made for some great finger paint.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

Raidra
10-14-2004, 03:22 PM
I've been wondering what we're going to do about this, too. Colwyn really only wears a bib when he has something like grape juice.

His party is next weekend, outdoors, at a farm. In Massachusetts, where it'll probably be 50-60 degrees out.

I think I'm just going to bring a change of clothes for him.

jec2
10-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Ha! i've thought of these bibs myself. I keep on looking and looking at these bibs wondering if it is our answer b/c I am so tired of stain removing from ds's clothes. Thanks for the offer about overnighting a bib. I think I'll wait on getting one but think that they look great and reading all the raves makes me think that we might just need one.

kransden
10-14-2004, 04:15 PM
We stripped her and gave her a bath afterwards! It was a huge mess, and I loved every minute of it!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

papal
10-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Weather permitting, strip the birthday boy down to his cute cloth diaper! :)
Interestingly, that is exactly why i wanted the monkey dipe cover.. for the cake eating part.. haha.
Tick Tock Tick Tock.. only a couple of days left...eeks!!!

deborah_r
10-14-2004, 06:35 PM
I think you can just accept that you'll have to clean his shirt really well later. The only thing I'd worry about is our cake (from the local grocery store - Vons) had those really bright colors of frosting. The red and the blue were particularly difficult to get out of DS's clothes.

Also, if he is not generally accustomed to a bunch of people looking at him while he eats (I'm assuming he's not!), then maybe he won't mind the bib and will forget he's wearing it. This works with Kai sometimes, he will not remember he is wearing the dreaded bib as long as he is interested in something or entertained.

calebsmama03
10-14-2004, 06:50 PM
We ended up putting one of DH's old t shirts over his clothes. worked great!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

fauve01
10-14-2004, 08:07 PM
just wanted to say that DD used to rip bibs off until i started clipping them with a clothespin right where the snap/velcro is! now she can't get it off. if she's eating something really messy (like spaghetti), i just use a dishtowel and clip it with the clothespin. the towel is bigger than a regular bib. i thought about getting one of those bibs with sleeves, but they seem like they would be too hot for her. the towel thing works great.

for DD's birthday party, we had a big bib i found that said baby's 1st bday that i clipped with the clothespin. her outfit didn't get too messy (i had pushed up her long sleeves) but we did have a change of clothes and i would have just switched outfits. when she was done eating, i just wiped her face and then washed her hands in the sink.

HTH. Have a great party!!

Anne + DD 10-03

pritchettzoo
10-14-2004, 10:42 PM
I made Gracie a shirt (well, a onesie because I couldn't find a plain shirt I liked) with a felt birthday cupcake applique. Felt is easy to work with; it doesn't unravel and I just used embroidery floss in a blanket stitch to attach it to the shirt. I changed her out of her party dress into her onesie for cake time. Here's a gratuitous picture ;):
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14961.jpg

Anna

C99
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
That is a great idea, Anna! It's so pretty.

s_gosney
10-15-2004, 12:26 AM
I love Anna's onesie idea. But, unfortunately I already have too many things to do to add one more to the list.

Juliet-
I picked up one of the first birthday bibs, but Kylee will just be wearing it and her diaper during cake eating. I guess that doesn't really make sense, but the Birthday princess bib I got her is really cute. I picked it up at Party World (used to be paper warehouse..don't know if you have these or not). I also saw a couple at BRU that were the towel pull over the head kind.
All that to say that my vote would probably be to just strip him down to his diaper. Have fun!

starrynight
10-15-2004, 12:44 AM
2 of my kids wore bibs for cake and it still got on their clothes but it helped somewhat. The baby sat in a diaper in the high chair for her cake, I learned it was easiest this way LOL.

Have fun!!

jec2
10-15-2004, 03:29 PM
she is so cute and what a sweet idea.

I sent DH to Michael's last night looking for a smock and he returned with an apron. Not exactly what I was thinking. But, Sherri, now you've got me thinking. Maybe I'll just cut a hole in the center of an old towel and slip it over DS's head! Voila!