PDA

View Full Version : need help with a decision

emilyf
10-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Ok, dh and I were offered a trip to Hawaii for a work convention in February. We are free to bring Charlie if we want, or could leave him. I can see pros to both sides but can't seem to make up my mind. We will be going with 4 other couples from dh's work-none have small children. We will be in Hawaii for a week, then in Las Vegas for a weekend on the way home. He could stay with a combination of dh's parents and my parents (we think). On the one hand, it would be nice to go without him-more relaxing, it's a long flight, we wouldn't have to think about naps and could plan more adventurous activities. On the other hand, 10 days is a long time, and he would probably really enjoy the beaches etc. We took him to Mexico last spring and it was great. We would have no trouble using hotel babysitters as needed. I'm really having a hard time with this decision-anyone recently in our shoes?
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

JacksMommy
10-14-2004, 07:53 PM
I've not been in your shoes (sadly - I love Hawaii) but if I were, I think I would choose to leave DS home, mainly because of the fact that the other people you will be with don't have kids. That means they will A) not really understand about nap times, kid-friendly restuarants, etc and likely find it somewhat annoying if you have to be on a schedule and B) will plan fun events that one or both of you will not be able to attend because of the little one (bars, scuba diving, snorkeling, etc).

On the other hand, if you don't really care about spending time with those folks, then it might be fun to bring the little guy - Hawaii is great for kids.

Hmm, possibly I am not helping here...

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/02

jd11365
10-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Bye Charlie...have fun at Grandma's house!

How often do you/will you have the chance to get away like that? And, with the other couples not having young children, well, I think you're better off going without him. The grandparents will LOVE the alone time and Charlie will be spoiled rotten...having his very own vacation.

JMO...either way, I'm jealous!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

McQ
10-14-2004, 11:17 PM
All the pros you listed were good ones. Charlie's not going to know the difference between Hawaii beaches and beaches around here - but you will. Well maybe he would in February but you get my point. The only con would be 10 days away, but know he is going to be in great hands and the grandparents will eat this up. Go for it!

Allison
~ mama to Declan 3.24.03 and Meghan 8.26.04

ErinMC
10-14-2004, 11:31 PM
I vote that you go without him, for all the reasons already mentioned. He will be well-cared-for with the grandparents, who will love having him. You will have a less stressful plane ride, and the time change would create absolute havoc on bedtime and naptimes. And though he loves the beaches, at 2 years old he probably will have no memory of the trip as he gets older.

Most importantly though, it would probably be great for you and DH to have a week to yourselves, to relax and do those fun activities. (Or maybe that's the envy in me coming out! :-) )

Either way you decide, have a wonderful time!

emilyf
10-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks everybody, I think we've decided to leave him. I think we will get much more out of the trip without him, and he will have fun here. At 2 he is such a bundle of energy I would probably be totally exhausted after a week in Hawaii with him.
Emily

Jen in Chicago
10-15-2004, 01:55 PM
I vote for Grandma's and Grandpa's spoiling him rotten, and you getting a nice trip with your DH in a beautiful place. I am jealous of your opportunity. Everyone wins... DS, you, DH, Grandparents,...

I would not image such a long flight with a toodler, and the whole time change thing drives me batting, I could not image it with a little one.

This is a rare opportunity for a parent, take it!