PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for last minute baby shower gift for baby #2

Dcclerk
10-15-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm a big idiot. My playgroup is having a group baby shower for all the moms that are pregnant (including me! :) ) on Saturday and I JUST realized I need to get some gifts pronto. Nothing like leaving these to the last minute. The range is supposed to be $10-$20 and everyone is having child #2. My standard gift includes a boppy and the Baby Bargains book but both seem unhelpful for the second time around. Since it is supposed to be a baby shower, I figured the Toddler Bargain Book probably wouldn't work, either. I thought about giving each mom a Signing Time DVD since we love them so much, but I can't find anyplace that sells them so that they would be shipped under $20 each. PLUS, then I'd have to print out a picture of them and wrap it up since clearly they won't arrive in time.

HELP! Anyone have any quick and easy suggestions for gifts for moms of baby #2? Did I mention I have to get 4 of these....

Marisa6826
10-15-2004, 12:46 AM
I honestly would suggest a gift card for Target or BRU along with a lullaby CD. I'm sure they will need dipes, etc.

Another option would be a little travel sized bag of Burt's Bees stuff. I know they sell them at Whole Foods. They're $10 or so.

http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10158&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10001

-m

SeekerMage
10-15-2004, 02:01 AM
I would get some onsies or undershirts and cute booties and attach a note saying that every baby deserves new underwear! Or even a new outfit.

Or rather then a gift for baby what about a gift for mom instead? Maybe some nice lotions? Even a combo mom and baby gift of the baby burts bees stuff and some stuff for mom?

The only other option I can think about is what about a nice photo album? Even a scrap book? They have several baby scrapbooking kits that you can get for about 20$ at Walmart or Michaels etc. Easy ones that you basically just have to put the picture in the frame and put it on the paper. This might be nice since it seems second babys sometimes get left out, would be a nice memento.

As for gift cards, they are great and everything, but I always feel like no effort was put into the gift and if you get 10$...it might make your gift look lesser then some of the others...or more if you spend 20 etc. Your call, but I always use them as a last resort.

Jen in Chicago
10-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Few ideas off the top of my head-
A cousin made us a small photo album/scrapbook for a picture for each month, would you have time to make something like this? The pages said things like:
The day I was born
Coming home
My room
June..... my first birthday
She put little stickers on each page, but it was simple and nice.
This would be an easy assembly line thing to do, gosh, I am thinking who I could make one for right now.

What about a full dinner to have in the freezer? Lasagna & garlic bread

What about a gift certificate for a take out place their first child likes?

We love Ralph's World CD's and play them all the time in the car

What about a gift certificate for a local bookstore or just books?

What about a basket/gift bag of ready to eat foods/snacks (pasta, sauce, Goldfish crackers, Easy Mac, Booty,...) as a nursing mother you need lots of food close by, and with 2 getting to the store will be hard.

Happy shopping!

MelissaTC
10-15-2004, 10:55 AM
I just threw a baby shower for my friend who is going to have #2. A cute gift that she received was the "Pampering" gift. It included a package of Pampers, an eye mask that can be cooled or heated, a scrub brush and some bath salts. She absolutely loved it!

KrisM
10-15-2004, 11:03 AM
How about one of those baby book calendars? Even though I'm only on baby #1, I think having the stickers and the calendar format is so nice and easy compared to a traditional baby book.

Momof3Labs
10-15-2004, 11:18 AM
My SIL has a great gift that she gives - a small photo album with at least 52 slots (you can get them at Target), ideally with an opening on the front too, and either a few rolls of film or a medium-large stuffed animal that is appropriate for the family. Then tuck in a note suggesting that they take a pic every week on baby's birth "day" along with the plush, and put it in the album (like what Flagger did with Cocoa and Snoopy). Perfect for baby #2 or #10!

babymama
10-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I second this recommendation. No idea how much they cost, though???

Good luck!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

KrisM
10-15-2004, 03:36 PM
I gave one to a friend as just an extra gift. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure it was only $10-$15. I got it at Babies R Us. They had a good selection.

mattiew
10-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Let us know what you decide!!!

My suggestions are generic but they are things I would want if I was having a second...mostly they are items that get yucky or lost! Taking off on the everyone needs new undies theme you could make it "everyone needs new unmentionables" which could cover burp cloths, gas drops, etc.

- cute burp cloths
- bibs (the bigger size for when they are eating, our's are gross)
- baby socks (I have tried to keep these but doubt I have many matching pairs)
- cute pacifer clip and newborn paci

If you have a Pottery Barn Kids nearby they have adorable frames for newborn, one, two, etc. : ( can't find them online to show you.

Target had some really cute booties that would be fun to throw in.

Dcclerk
10-16-2004, 12:58 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. They were soooooo helpful! If I had more time, I wanted to do a momma-oriented basket but I realized that the spare 30 minutes I had on my way home from work wouldn't allow for getting those nice specialty items.

Nevertheless, I'm really pleased with what I'm getting them. I bought these really classy black photo albums (the kind with the liner between each page) and some very nice 3-D baby oriented add-ons. (Those overpriced things in the scrapbooking aisle with cute little knitted booties, mini clothes pins, etc.) I'm going to decorate the cover of the albums with those add-on thingabobs and then add categories to the pages. I wanted to add a stuffed animal but yikes the albums and add-ons are expensive on their own. I think that I'll just suggest that they use the same stuffed animal to chart the growth of their babies.

Thanks, again, for all of your suggestions!

mattiew
10-16-2004, 10:50 AM
The photo albums sound adorable; I know they will love them!