PDA

View Full Version : 12 Month Checkup

Raidra
10-15-2004, 10:47 AM
What do most pediatricians ask about at this visit? At Colwyn's 9 month appointment, his doctor asked if he was waving and clapping, which took me by surprise. He hadn't been around anyone who waves goodbye, so that concept was completely new to him. I hadn't realized I was supposed to be teaching him those things. ;)

So, what should I expect him to ask?

dr mom
10-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Our office used a checklist, but I don't think waving and clapping were on it - those are pretty sophisticated skills for a 9 month old!

Some of the things I look for at 12 months are:
1. language - is the child babbling (most kids can say at least one word, usually ma-ma or da-da)
2. object constancy (if you hide a toy under a blanket or step out of the room, does baby look for the toy or try to follow you)
3. gross motor skills - is the child pulling up to stand, and cruising on the furniture
4. fine motor - does baby have a "pincher grasp" using the thumb and forefinger, for example, picking up cheerios or small toys

The development screening isn't supposed to be a judgement on whether or not you are teaching your child how to perform certain skills, just a way of quickly determining which children aren't meeting their expected milestones so that problems with hearing, vision, motor skills and cognition can be identified and addressed early.

fauve01
10-16-2004, 01:23 AM
we just went to the 12 month check Wednesday and he asked what words DD could say other than mama and dada. i listed some, but said her version of walk, water, ball, bath, park, oh-oh, duck, dog, and whatever else i can't remember aren't really recognizable to other people (WA! PA! BA! etc). he said as long as me and DH knew what she meant that was good. he asked if she was babbling. he said he would have asked about walking, but as DD was zooming all over the office, he could see she was doing that. he asked about small motor skills, whether she was picking up small stuff (then she started doing that).

That's all i can remember! if i think of anything else, i'll post.

at 9 months, he asked if she could clap and or wave, if she shook her head no, and i forget the third thing.

Anne + DD 10-03

westchicagomom
10-16-2004, 03:25 AM
We just went to our 12 month today and I don't think they asked as much as they should have but here it goes:

1. saying mama or dada specific to the person?
2. picking something up and returning to standing? (stoops and recovers)
3. walking yet?
4. what are they eating?
5. drinks from cup?
6. uses pincer grasp to pick up small objects?
7. plays ball? (they didn't ask this, but it is in their booklet to be asked at this age)

They were supposed to give the chicken pox vaccine today, but I declined it due to recent research that immunity is compromised if given before 18 months.

FYI - since I have their booklet in front of me and I am a fast typer:

by 15 months:
- uses a spoon by self
- imitates housework (ummm if she is doing this, I am going to get her a small broom so she can sweep up all the food she throws on the floor LOL)
- scribbles
- puts small objects into larger ones
- begins to use more words

by 18 months:
- removes clothing
- knows body parts
- increasing vocab
- climbs stairs
- walks backward
- builds a tower w/ blocks